PDA

View Full Version : 97 cobra vs 98 cobra

SVTCobra96
06-30-2004, 04:46 PM
let me ask yall a question im lookin at 2 cars and i want to know what is the better one and which one i should get whats better a 98 cobra or a 97 cobra i didnt know if either one of them had something wrong with them in that year like the 96 cobra had a recall for the radiator so can yall plz help me on advice for which one to get the 97 or 98 cobra.

Flagman
06-30-2004, 05:20 PM
let me ask yall a question im lookin at 2 cars and i want to know what is the better one and which one i should get whats better a 98 cobra or a 97 cobra i didnt know if either one of them had something wrong with them in that year like the 96 cobra had a recall for the radiator so can yall plz help me on advice for which one to get the 97 or 98 cobra.

Just a couple of things off the top of my head...'97 was the last year to come with the dash mounted guage pod and the strut brace. The R-model style wheels were were introduced in '98, and most of the magazines reported slightly increased HP numbers (due to a change in CPU calibration). There was a T45 upgrade around mid-year also, IIRC.

Not really a lot of difference between the two years. I would probably go for the car in the best condition/lowest mileage. HTH.

tcrews
07-01-2004, 12:27 AM

I own both a '98 and a '97 Cobra.

97 - dash pod clock, strut tower brace, late model production used composite IMRC's (lighter) and got the tremec (stamped) T-45, cup holder in center console arm rest (flip out).

98 - '95 Cobra R style rims (17x8"), clock now intergrated into radio, no strut tower, the new IMRC's and new Tremec T-45. Some of the code in the computer was moved from bank 8 to bank 1 allowing chips to control more useful functions (good for tuning). New style cup holder that sucks :) Redesigned "holder" for intank fuel pump requires extra work to upgrade.

Pros 97 - Dash clock pod (this location RULES), cup holder, intank pump (if you plan to upgrade), Strut tower brace (added structural stability)

Pros 98 - Better looking stock wheels, computer code for tuning, all production models received the better IMRCs, Bright Atlantic Blue and Chrome Yellow colors available :)

Like mentioned above, buy the one that is in the best condition, lowest miles, least amount of mods and best price. They are too similar.

I really like the dash pod clock :) It's just right where a clock should be.