PDA

View Full Version : how to do a good burn out

svt99cobra
07-03-2004, 02:50 PM
I have a 99 snake and was wondering how to do a good burn out ? 1 of my friends (how has a ws6) says that I will need a front wheel lock but I have seen stock 99s do a standing burn out. well i want to do 1 to dam it and dont want to burn my clutch at the same time:chairshot :banana:

BOSSMAN
07-03-2004, 03:58 PM
I have a 99 snake and was wondering how to do a good burn out ? 1 of my friends (how has a ws6) says that I will need a front wheel lock but I have seen stock 99s do a standing burn out. well i want to do 1 to dam it and dont want to burn my clutch at the same time:chairshot :banana:

Put the car into second gear, bring the revs up and dump the clutch. As soon as you let go of the clutch put your foot on the brake. The 99 will be hard to do this with because of the axel hop. Also make sure to turn the traction control off.

My Cobra
07-04-2004, 01:31 AM
LOL yea make sure you turn off traction control. I have a 99 also i have wanted to do it but i can not figure it out too well most the time i put it in 2nd dump the clutch and stand on the brake good enuff for me.

ausie
07-04-2004, 07:41 AM
what about the anti-lock brakes? with one foot on the brakes and the other on the gass, the anti-lock brake sensors will begin to pulsate the braking system since the front is locked and the rear wheels are spinning. Won't this cause a problem?

I have done a staning burn without brakes applied. I used 1st gear and poped the clutch at 3000 RPM, The RPM went up quick so I jammed it into secon gear, when the car started to move a little I went to 3rd to ride it out. There was not allot of smoke though. My friend who was watching said to use a mix of bleach and water on the rear wheels (which will make the tires slippery). I will have to manage with my big feet to get on the brake with the left foot (that will take some practice since I am tuned into using that foot for the clutch). The benefits of bleach and water reduces the amount of wear on the tires and from what I was told will create a smoky burn.

Has any body had issues with the anti-lock brakes when burning out with the front brakes locked?

ausie
07-04-2004, 07:48 AM
releasing the clutch slowly is what causes clutches to wear out. A quick release will not cause it to burn out, but will cause other issues to other components such as the crank shaft, and drive line. Using bleach and water on the rear wheels will reduce the strain on these parts. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that most if not all drag strips have a water box for that purpose?

svt99cobra
07-05-2004, 12:20 AM
hey every 1 thanx for the good advice but i tired it just a few min ago in 2nd and well the car stall out 5 times, sooo i tried it in 1st it worked but the car was going side to side a lot and keep going forward. i have also heard the bleach and water works but can be very bad for the tires. well IM going to try it again in the morning thanx for all you help:thumbsup:

My Cobra
07-05-2004, 12:25 PM
Yea i hear that it is really bad to add bleach to the tires. Somebody told me it kind of makes them weak. But i am not sure if that is true or not. That is why i do not like to add anythign to the tires. On the topic of the breaks i am not sure what to say. I do know that it worked for me and i have never had any trouble with it.

ausie
07-06-2004, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the reply on the bleach. Some motorhead friends of mine told me that would work for a really smokey burnout. Of course I am a motorhead too, but I never thought about bleach untill the mentioned it. As for what it does to the rubber compound I am not sure. I only attempted to do one burnout since I did not care much for the tires that were on the car at the time. Considering the amount of noise the tires made at 6500RPM in 1st and 2nd gear there was little if no smoke. My friend who whitnessed the burn out suggested using bleach and water. When it is time to replace the rear tires, I will have to do a nice smokey one on Video just to see what it looks like. I guess the braking technique takes a little practice. That will be something I will have to try someday. I really do not see any advantage in burning the tires since that will slow down the launch.

venomous
07-06-2004, 01:31 PM
What I do for a good burnout is I always take the rear heel of my right foot and put it on the brake and take my toes of the same foot and mash down on the gas. My left foot is free for the clutch. Works great for a good burnout :thumbsup:

My Cobra
07-07-2004, 01:48 AM
lol man that sounds pretty complicated. But it works.

svt99cobra
07-07-2004, 07:15 AM
well every one i tried it again to day and its working pretty good the car still goes side to side and keeps going forward but i will deal with it :thumbsup: and i do burn out just to show some ricer up or just for fun :doubt: :cheers:

ausie
07-07-2004, 08:22 AM
Hmm, The best launch is one without wheel spin. I left many challengers in their own smoke including other mustang Cobras. In my opinion, you do not need to smoke the tires to prove the power of the car. Also, I usually let the FWD cars win especially if they spin the front wheels, I don't want to get hit while they do not have full control of their vehicle. It won't take long to pass them if I so desire. Sometimes just to play around is okay, but use common sense as a little play can turn into a serious situatioin. At times I find it just as fun to let the other driver win. There is a time for stupidity, you just have to learn when to use it :D. I know how hard it is not to mash down on the throttle just to blow away that little pest who thinks their car can take yours. It is all about driving skill (sure the vehicle helps too). Much of that skill is to know when not to take on a challenger no matter what the situation is. It is one thing to have fun, but remember one thing, other drivers are on the road too and do not expect them to wait for you to pass them because they are like everybody else, they won't, more than likely they will pull out into your path at 10MPH. Play safe, play smart. Leave the racing for the track. :cool: There is more to a Mustang than meets the eye. I sound like an old fuddy duddy. Perhaps I am, but yet I am guilty of doing quite the opposite.