PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong with traction control?

ausie
07-06-2004, 06:36 AM
This happened twice so far. I noticed while driving on two seperate occasions the traction control took over during a slow acceleration. There was no wheel spin or any lateral movement. I normally drive with it turned off, occasionally I will leave it on. I probably would not have noticed as much if I still had the factory exhaust on the car. When the tach reaches 4500 RPM the motor boggs down for no reason and the traction loss indicator lamp turns on. I will check the codes this moring to see what is going on.

Has anybody experienced the traction control tripping for no apparent reason? Sometimes I wish I could remove the dang thing alltogether since there is no benefit in having it (more of a danger than a benefit especially when pulling out into traffic, almost like jumping out into traffic then slamming on the brakes)

Firme
07-06-2004, 07:48 AM
:scratch:You could have uneven wheel slipage without noticing it too much. :dunno:

oh well.

There is a way to turn traction Control off by default (some handheld programmers do it too)

here you go

http://www.ponyexpressperformance.com/tractioncontrol.html

My Cobra
07-06-2004, 11:38 AM
I do not really like TC. I will Take off in a hurry to get out in front a of a big group of cars it will alwase slow me down. Sure it helps on tires some but it seems kinda annoying to me. I hate having to turn it off every time i get in the car so most of the time i just leave it. It woudl have been nice if it was the other way around where you turn it on if you wanted it and it was off by default. Just my 2 cents.

xanavisilvia
07-07-2004, 01:20 AM
This happened twice so far. I noticed while driving on two seperate occasions the traction control took over during a slow acceleration. There was no wheel spin or any lateral movement. I normally drive with it turned off, occasionally I will leave it on. I probably would not have noticed as much if I still had the factory exhaust on the car. When the tach reaches 4500 RPM the motor boggs down for no reason and the traction loss indicator lamp turns on. I will check the codes this moring to see what is going on.

Has anybody experienced the traction control tripping for no apparent reason? Sometimes I wish I could remove the dang thing alltogether since there is no benefit in having it (more of a danger than a benefit especially when pulling out into traffic, almost like jumping out into traffic then slamming on the brakes)

I wonder if difference in tire size can cause this problem. Or if one of the ABS sensor is not working correctly. Interesting and curious myself.

ausie
07-07-2004, 06:31 AM
One would think there is wheel slippage, but not under the acceleration I was using (just a slow gradual increase in throttle and going up hill). The TC only affects the timming when this happens. Somehow I think the program within the chip has a glitch in it. Sooner or later I would like to get my hands on the code and decipher it. Afterall that is what I do for a living is programming along with other electrical engineering stuff. I am not sure what programming language they use but I am sure it is specific to the application. That would be too cool to be involved with that kind of development. I should have bought a programmer instead of just a scan tool. The traction control module looks like a good idea. Thanks for the tip Firme. :thumbsup: I don't think it is tire size since they seem to have the same amount of wear. Perhaps I kicked up a stone which hit the module in the left rear. It could be a sensor out of calibration or possibly dammaged. I will have to repeat the condition again to see if it is re-occuring. It could be as simple as a wheel off balance (missing some trim weights perhaps). The scan tool returned nothing as I suspected it would do just that. I will get to the bottom of it one of these days. I am just curious as to what they use for a lateral motion sensor (which is what I suspect is at fault)

ausie
07-07-2004, 06:52 AM
I hear ya "My Cobra", I'll take your 2 cents and and more! There is nothing worse than the fear of getting rear ended because the car just wants to be an obstruction to traffic. The traction control can actually save you from wrecking your car in a split second too, especially if you dirve like I do at times. Sometimes I think I cause more fear in other drivers than myself when the rear slips out. It could get hairy at times, but to me that is fun. I may be sick, but I am use to that sort of thing. I do not purposely attempt to break the tires loose but I am always prepared for it. I would not recommend doing it too much since some road surfaces could become unpredictable.

Xanavisilvia, that is a good point, but there are other sensors also which detect lateral shifting. To my knowledge, the TC is supposed to allow a certain amount of wheel spin, but will take over if lateral shifting of the rear is detected by means of a motion sensor. Wheel sensors only work when one wheel stops while others are moving. When you go through a turn, not all weels are traveling at the same speed since the outer wheels in the turn are moving a longer distance than the inner wheels. For instance when down shifting an applying brakes, ocassionaly the ABS will kick in since the down shift caused the rear wheels to appear as if they locked up. It is the lateral shift sensor that trips the timming retard condition. Why would that happen when driving in a striaght line is beyond me. Makes me wonder how the wheel sensors play a part in this, somehow I think you are right that they do.