PDA

View Full Version : Is it covered?

Stevenbekah
07-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Question:

I know the best, and obviously the easiest way to crank up the HP in our 03' Cobra's is the following:

CAI
New exhaust (New cats and a cat back)
Smaller blower pulleys
Chip for change the pulleys make
I also know the first two (CAI & exhaust) will not affect the cars warranty.

I had "heard" that the blower pulleys have a 'seal' on them and if broken to replace the pulley (even if you put the original back on) will immediately void the engines factory warranty.

I had also 'heard' that a new chip will void the warranty as well.

I know these are cast iron "bullet proof" engines...but they also list at $12K to replace!

What have you heard...???

Very interested as I already am enjoying a Steeda CAI and Bassani cat backs...just looking for more. (Aren't we all though!)

cobrabitn
07-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Why do you need a chip? Just reflash the stock computer and you will get even more hp out of your current modifications..
:thumbsup:

Big T
07-07-2004, 11:57 PM
I agree. Get a flash tuner and you can save your stock codes. I got the superchips flash tuner. Very impressed with the results. Did not get dyno'd yet, but I could not believe the results on the street. Never heard of the seal on the pulley.

Stevenbekah
07-08-2004, 11:24 AM
I agree. Get a flash tuner and you can save your stock codes. I got the superchips flash tuner. Very impressed with the results. Did not get dyno'd yet, but I could not believe the results on the street. Never heard of the seal on the pulley.
So does the flash tuner (predator I believe??) allow you to reinstall your factory codes at those times that you need servicing done?

Also, still curious about warranty issues with the pulleys...does anyone know for sure??

Cali Scott 95
07-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Ill have to ask my father about this. He works in the service department for ford in CA.

I know some of you are like who the hell is this. Well my name is Scott and i came down to Tennessee with Arron from CA and ill be joining the club soon. :thumbsup:

Cali Scott 95
07-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Yeah my father said on almost every SVT with motor work they send out some rep to inspect it and i guess if they see any markings on the bults they know something has been messed with. and its a big void if you change out the polley :mad:

cobrabitn
07-08-2004, 09:33 PM
Thanks Scott and hope you will join the club and maybe get some action going over there in Southern CA for us?

The warranty issue is what Scott said. If you change the pulley then they will deny warranty on any part that the pulley may affect. There is a marking or a seal on the pulley and they will know if the seal is broken when you remove the pulley.

I'm going to see how much hp I can get without removing my pulley for now. If I can have over 400 at the rear wheels without a pulley change then I'll probably leave it that way for a year or so. When the warranty runs out then it'll be Katie bar the door. (If I can hold out that long :) )

To answer your reflash question, the answer is yes. You can reinstall the factory specs with the same computer software so you can take the car in for servicing. :thumbsup:

Stevenbekah
07-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks Scott and hope you will join the club and maybe get some action going over there in Southern CA for us?

The warranty issue is what Scott said. If you change the pulley then they will deny warranty on any part that the pulley may affect. There is a marking or a seal on the pulley and they will know if the seal is broken when you remove the pulley.

I'm going to see how much hp I can get with removing my pulley for now. If I can have over 400 at the rear wheels without a pulley change then I'll probably leave it that way for a year or so. When the warranty runs out then it'll be Katie bar the door. (If I can hold out that long :) )

To answer your reflash question, the answer is yes. You can reinstall the factory specs with the same computer software so you can take the car in for servicing. :thumbsup:
Thanks!

That seems to be consitent with what I've heard...thanks again!

Cali Scott 95
07-09-2004, 03:50 AM
Yes i already have someone joining but he is from the east coast :rotf: but im going to get some stickers to put on my 1/4 window and maybe go to some car shows to blow the west coast up for SCMC.

cobrabitn
07-09-2004, 07:17 AM
I think we need to get all of our southern CA members together and hit a big car show as a group. People will want to know where the heck you all came from? We're going to try this in VA! :)

Firme
07-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Tony,

I have seen quite a few 03/04's with A mid pipe, catback, and CAI put down 400-405 to the wheels down here.

smashedheadcat
07-09-2004, 02:14 PM

I'm going to see how much hp I can get without removing my pulley for now. If I can have over 400 at the rear wheels without a pulley change then I'll probably leave it that way for a year or so. When the warranty runs out then it'll be Katie bar the door. (If I can hold out that long :) )

Tony...... 400 rwhp is as easy as a catback and open air filter away. I got my 400 rwhp with an off the chart pig rich stock tune with a 9 inch open K&N filter, and borla stinger catback.

smashedheadcat
07-09-2004, 02:20 PM
It is my understanding that the warranties are voided by marks on the bolt. The SVT guys are not stupid. The engine program was tested at some ungodly amount of miles. I believe I read something along the lines of 300,000 miles at wide open throttle (17 days or so). These engines hold up to the stock power like no tomarrow. So if you blow one up, then of course they are going to be suspicious. Hence, the searching for reasons to void your warranty that you do not deserve. Yeah, a lot of people get away with it, but have you ever heard of anyone destroying their engine in bone stock trim? I've read of 1 guy. That's it. I think the engines are stout, but not indestructable. With a proper tune, and research on the proper parts.... you're engine will hold up just fine.

josh

smashedheadcat
07-09-2004, 02:23 PM
I've heard of one more rumor. The computer has a memory section that only "FORD" can access. It can sense such things as "over boost" conditions and such. Something that we can't clear out........ That's why you'll see some people that purchase a brand new computer for their car, and use it for mods..... if they blow their engine/trans or something, they swap back all the stock parts, use all brand new bolts, torque seal, and put the original computer back in....... then take it in. Pretty sneaky if you ask me. Or........ just find a mod friendly dealer.

josh

Firme
07-09-2004, 02:29 PM
It is my understanding that the warranties are voided by marks on the bolt. The SVT guys are not stupid. The engine program was tested at some ungodly amount of miles. I believe I read something along the lines of 300,000 miles at wide open throttle (17 days or so). These engines hold up to the stock power like no tomarrow. So if you blow one up, then of course they are going to be suspicious. Hence, the searching for reasons to void your warranty that you do not deserve. Yeah, a lot of people get away with it, but have you ever heard of anyone destroying their engine in bone stock trim? I've read of 1 guy. That's it. I think the engines are stout, but not indestructable. With a proper tune, and research on the proper parts.... you're engine will hold up just fine.

josh

amen... you don't know how many people down here have blown their 03-04 engines due to bad tunes. Then they blame the engine for being weak. That is why so many people down here are ralling behind SCT tunning, cause those guys KNOW what they are doing when they tune. I mean we have a club member pushing almost 700rwhp on his 03 without touching the bottom of the engine.

smashedheadcat
07-09-2004, 02:34 PM
amen... you don't know how many people down here have blown their 03-04 engines due to bad tunes. Then they blame the engine for being weak. That is why so many people down here are ralling behind SCT tunning, cause those guys KNOW what they are doing when they tune. I mean we have a club member pushing almost 700rwhp on his 03 without touching the bottom of the engine.

I believe, with a proper tune, these engines are indestructable for a 1/4 mile at a time. The more power you have, the less room for error in the tune. That 700rwhp on the stock bottom end is awesome.

josh