PDA

View Full Version : Need quick exhaust ??'s answered!!

HoustonSnake
07-09-2004, 12:50 PM
So yesterday morning I'm driving along and notice a metallic rattling every time I rev the engine...as the day went on, it got a lot worse. I took it to my clutch guy thinking something was wrong with the new clutch I got put in last week (Stage1 :D ) and he puts it on the lift and starts tappin my cat cover and you can hear the ceramic? or whatever in there bouncin around. It runs like complete hell and sounds like I'm driving a big rig :o . My question is if I should just get the cats cut off and put straight pipes in thier place or replace my bad one? My exhaust is pretty loud as is (Bassani hi-flow cats w/X pipe and Magnaflow cat back system) My inspection is not due for another 6 months (from what I understand they just hook up to your computer anyway? and not the exhaust in 95+ vehicles??) I don't know if I have MIL's on my ride since the exhaust was on it before I got her. I currently have no check engine light on.

I'd like to take care of this this afternooon! :thumbsup:

tcrews
07-09-2004, 02:28 PM
So yesterday morning I'm driving along and notice a metallic rattling every time I rev the engine...as the day went on, it got a lot worse. I took it to my clutch guy thinking something was wrong with the new clutch I got put in last week (Stage1 :D ) and he puts it on the lift and starts tappin my cat cover and you can hear the ceramic? or whatever in there bouncin around. It runs like complete hell and sounds like I'm driving a big rig :o . My question is if I should just get the cats cut off and put straight pipes in thier place or replace my bad one? My exhaust is pretty loud as is (Bassani hi-flow cats w/X pipe and Magnaflow cat back system) My inspection is not due for another 6 months (from what I understand they just hook up to your computer anyway? and not the exhaust in 95+ vehicles??) I don't know if I have MIL's on my ride since the exhaust was on it before I got her. I currently have no check engine light on.

I'd like to take care of this this afternooon! :thumbsup:
If you delete the cats the volume of your exhaust will go up a good bit, and your power will go up some as well.

You typically don't need mil-eliminators unless you have an offroad pipe so you probably don't have any now. You will need some if you get rid of the cats.

If they don't do sniffer testing and/or visual inspections, you should be able to pass because the mil-eliminators send a signal that is proper to the computer.

HoustonSnake
07-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Arghhh....can't get anyone to cut em off...:( Got mils though! :D

ausie
07-12-2004, 08:25 AM
There may be a solution, but not sure if you will like it. SLP offers a nice x pipe with two high flow cats. It does not have the pre-cats as the factory set up. This is just a suggestion. I have seen the products used in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords on some rebuilds including engine swaps. I am some what familiar with there products since I got the SLP loudmouth exhaust. I am pleased with the cat back. Sooner or later I will do the X pipe as well.

Just a FYI in case you are interested. They even have some long tube headers in which they claim are Emmission legal. I will believe that when I see it.

HoustonSnake
07-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Thanks Aussie....no need to replace everything over 1 cat tho. Looks like I will just bite the bullet and order a replacement cat and get it put in...thanks!

1-QIK-SNK
07-12-2004, 05:10 PM
You could cut them off yourself and take one(or both) convters to the shop and have them cut you a pipe to replace the ones you cut out, but make the pipes about 4" longer to alow you to slip over the original pipe. It should only be a lengh issue and no bends. They can expand the ends of the pipes they make so you can slip them over the over the pipe(on the car) and clamp them. Then after you get it all back together go and have it welded. Most shop will weld it up because they did not cut them off. It might help if you tell them your paying cash so there will be no record of the work.

Good luck.
Kerry M.

HoustonSnake
07-12-2004, 05:15 PM
Thanks guys for all the good suggestions!!! I found a guy on a local board that is gonna sell me both bassanni hi-flows, used naturally, for 50 bucks! :bounce: Can't complain!

2XSVT
07-19-2004, 01:42 PM
Check your owners manual the cats are covered long after the warr. runs out, federal law.

tcrews
07-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Check your owners manual the cats are covered long after the warr. runs out, federal law.
He doesn't have the stock exhaust....

(Bassani hi-flow cats w/X pipe and Magnaflow cat back system)

HoustonSnake
07-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Yuppers..aftermarket but I think the cats have to have a 7 year warranty anyway blah blah. I emailed bassanni and they told me I would need the original receipt!? Hard to prove its manufacturer warranty whey they have big speed bump round dents on the bottom of them!! :D

I picked up two gently used bassanni hi-flows for 20 bucks each and replaced my bad one and have one for a reserve now! :bounce: :cool:

2XSVT
07-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Oh well thought it might be worth a try, Dodge wanted to charge me $600.00 to replace mine but when the fight was over they replaced them no charge.