PDA

View Full Version : Modifications

cobrabitn
07-10-2004, 11:53 AM
There are so many modification choices out there that I'm not sure which one to go with on the 04??

Basically, what I want is a CAI that will net me great hp. I was told that the UPR system was the best out on the market because of the filter design? (They stated 32 rwhp with UPR) Anyone know what sort of results you got if you have one?

Next, exhaust... I want something quiet at cruising speed and idle but ungodly loud at WOT, ideas? I do not have an OR pipe yet, but that will be coming too. What is the best type of exhaust to purchase for these criteria?

Thanks,

Tony

03 cobra toy
07-11-2004, 10:53 AM
There are so many modification choices out there that I'm not sure which one to go with on the 04??

Basically, what I want is a CAI that will net me great hp. I was told that the UPR system was the best out on the market because of the filter design? (They stated 32 rwhp with UPR) Anyone know what sort of results you got if you have one?

Next, exhaust... I want something quiet at cruising speed and idle but ungodly loud at WOT, ideas? I do not have an OR pipe yet, but that will be coming too. What is the best type of exhaust to purchase for these criteria?

Thanks,

Tony

Tony try this site for some good exhaust sound bites.....

http://www.mustangexhaust.com/4.6sounds.htm

And the CAI I would go with this one......

http://www.apten-us.com/performance/03cobra/cai.asp

cobrabitn
07-11-2004, 12:25 PM
Hmm.... what does the "three wheel racing" mean? :rotf: We had some SCCA guys in TN running the autocross on three wheels... :D Then one of them wiped out in the mud. :p

cobrabitn
07-11-2004, 12:36 PM
I wanted a chrome cover if I could find one for the CAI. I noticed on the Apten site they said 21 rwhp but they never said that it was on a stock engine application. No way a stock 03 has 398 rwhp with no mods on it. I also noticed the pulley cover removed.

What about one with just a stock engine??

Thanks.... ;)

Corner-Carver
07-11-2004, 01:21 PM
The K&N CAI is one of the best out there per 5.0's CAI test of just about every CAI made. SVTPerformance has a link in the Terminator section, just have to search for it. IT had hp and tq results of ALOT of CAI on the same car, same day. Most were within a couple horsepower of each other, the difference is looks and cost. I simply put a K&N big-mouth filter on mine (using a piece of aluminum sheet to bolt the MAF and filter together) and picked up 21rwhp on the dyno. Cost me all of $35. UPR's claim of 32rwhp is horseshit. :rolleyes:

On the exhaust... you just have to listen to as many as you can. ;)

Firme
07-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Hmm.... what does the "three wheel racing" mean? :rotf: We had some SCCA guys in TN running the autocross on three wheels... :D Then one of them wiped out in the mud. :p

that David's "tripod" thing

http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/imgs/misc/Hooked_on_track.jpg

cobrabitn
07-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Paul,

If they are all going to give you 20-25 rwhp then which one is the best looking chrome one? I figure I may as well add a little chrome to the engine compartment. :)

Tony

03 cobra toy
07-11-2004, 06:30 PM
that David's "tripod" thing

http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/imgs/misc/Hooked_on_track.jpg

:D Not bad for a 75mph corner.....

Firme
07-11-2004, 06:46 PM
Paul,

If they are all going to give you 20-25 rwhp then which one is the best looking chrome one? I figure I may as well add a little chrome to the engine compartment. :)

Tony

You can always get one painted Mystichrome to match the body :D

smashedheadcat
07-11-2004, 10:43 PM
Yes, you can get one painted mystichrome...... Try this..... everyone on www.svtperformance.com has had nothing but great things to say about this product. This is an enthusiast like us making these things. He's got a group purchase going on right now as well. If I did it over again, I'd buy this piece. It outpowers them all, and looks the best IMO.

http://www.jlttruecoldair.com/

Red03
07-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Tony,

I have the K&N FIPK with a RAI coming from JLT http://www.jlttruecoldair.com/ The RAI from JLT will replace the inlet tube from the MAF to the TB. Everything I have read conerning the K&N is that it's the one of if not the best CAI out for our cars. I'm not sure of the #'s gains on mine yet. Will find that out on the 7th, but from the SOTP feel I would have to say a signifcant gain. With my stock pulley I can bury the boost gauge with no problem. Not to mention the scream of the SC at WOT is unbeliveable. The densecharger is also a good CAI I had one before the K&N just got tired of having to jack the car up and remove the front tire to clean the air filter. Before I get flamed to much on this, I know it can be done with out tire removal, just SO MUCH easier removing it. If your looking for show and go the Steeda unit is also a decent CAI. I know I have given you three choices, just depends on much show you want. I would highly recommend the K&N with the JLT RAI. You can it painted in mystic if you want. Kind of a long post, but that's my 2 cents. Hope it helped .

Greg

NO 5 OH
07-13-2004, 04:32 AM
I'll throw my .02 in here to give you some thought as well, El Presidente' ;)

As you've seen elsewhere... I run the MAC "Straight Shot" cold air with the 95mm mass air. The heat shield for the cold air, plus the meter tube are polished, and they do look good under the hood. I tested mine when I switched from the WMS Velocity Tube to the new cold air, and I saw an increase of 24 hp over the WMS kit. I'd say it's worth a good 30+ on a stock car... you probably won't see that now given the time of year. Heat/humidity play a large role in horsepower robbing right now.

As far as exhaust... if you want something mild then I'd go with the Magnaflow catback with their catted x-pipe as well. I've heard this on an 03... sounded good at WOT and wasn't really loud at all. Bassani will be pretty loud (as well as pretty expensive) so I don't think you'd want to go that route. I'm pretty sure if you want "tame" you don't want to go down the path I took... as the full compliment of MAC exhaust is very similar to a CUP car at WOT :p

If you're not busy this weekend, and I don't have to work on Saturday then I might can meet up with you somewhere and I can let you look at my cold air set-up and hear the exhaust on my car. I'd even go a step further and take the cold air off the Cobra and put it on your car to see if you like it or not. I can have it on in about 15 or 20 minutes.

Let me know what you think.

Shannon

smashedheadcat
07-13-2004, 08:24 AM
I too have the MAC Straight CAI. I've heard bad things about it (car doesn't want to idle, etc.) but I've had zero problems. I got this kit, basically for the MAF size. It uses the stock electronics, but it makes sense to me to open up the inlet to the blower as much as possible. I don't see the stock maf being a restriction, but what the hey, I did it anyway. Also, my exhaust is loud, so if ya want tame, don't get an off road prochamber and borla stingers.

smashedheadcat
07-13-2004, 08:28 AM
Alright........ here's the JLT True Cold air kit in mystichrome.....

Big Daddy
07-13-2004, 08:52 AM
Tony,

I have to say you had better leave that car stock! It's already way to much car for you to handle!!! :D ;) :rotf: :rotf: :shtowned:

NO 5 OH
07-13-2004, 02:41 PM
I too have the MAC Straight CAI. I've heard bad things about it (car doesn't want to idle, etc.)

I actually had this problem with the WMS tube... it's like I had the "stall" when I never had it to begin with ;) I talked to Don about it, and he told me that having to make a 90* bend before going into the meter does funky things to the ECU sometimes. I don't know if the JLT kit would do this as the meter is mounted in the fenderwell... I guess it's not a problem or we would have heard about it on SVTPerformance :D

Shannon

cobrabitn
07-13-2004, 07:41 PM
My only concern is driving it in the rain! Why would you have to worry about that and why didn't they take that into consideration?

Do other CAI kits do that?

smashedheadcat
07-13-2004, 10:48 PM
My only concern is driving it in the rain! Why would you have to worry about that and why didn't they take that into consideration?

Do other CAI kits do that?

I'm not a believer in the whole rain with the cai in the fender. If you avoid lakes, you'll be fine, same as any fenderwell mounted CAI. But, for people who don't like the idea of having the cai in the fender, the RAI (ram air induction) is the kit that keeps the filter in the engine bay. You can still get it in mystichrome, but it's not the piece that goes into the fender. I plan on doing the RAI kit to replace the rubber from my throttle body to my MAF. I'll do a before and after dyno when I do this. It'll be awhile though.

Josh

smashedheadcat
07-13-2004, 10:50 PM
I actually had this problem with the WMS tube... it's like I had the "stall" when I never had it to begin with ;) I talked to Don about it, and he told me that having to make a 90* bend before going into the meter does funky things to the ECU sometimes. I don't know if the JLT kit would do this as the meter is mounted in the fenderwell... I guess it's not a problem or we would have heard about it on SVTPerformance :D

Shannon

This kit does not cause the stall issue. Our mafs are designed to meter air coming in through a filter, so if you change this, ill effects are possible. That's the most cut and dry explanation of this I can give.

NO 5 OH
07-14-2004, 07:41 PM
This kit does not cause the stall issue. Our mafs are designed to meter air coming in through a filter, so if you change this, ill effects are possible. That's the most cut and dry explanation of this I can give.

The WMS tube I had indeed had a filter on the end of it... but it was all the way up against the fender on the inside. The kit also clocked the MAF in a somewhat unusual direction (harness plug in at a 45* angle up, not down like stock) and mine wouldn't idle for nothing with this kit on it. It would surge, hunt for idle... and usually die at stoplights/stopsigns. I haven't had this problem with the MAC kit... and actually when I put the Accufab on it runs/idles like a champ.

I guess sometimes it just depends on the car the kit is on. I'd still be curious on what the MAC kit would do on a bone stock 03/04 vs. the stock air box. I think it'd be interesting ;)

Shannon

smashedheadcat
07-14-2004, 10:25 PM
The WMS tube I had indeed had a filter on the end of it... but it was all the way up against the fender on the inside. The kit also clocked the MAF in a somewhat unusual direction (harness plug in at a 45* angle up, not down like stock) and mine wouldn't idle for nothing with this kit on it. It would surge, hunt for idle... and usually die at stoplights/stopsigns. I haven't had this problem with the MAC kit... and actually when I put the Accufab on it runs/idles like a champ.

I guess sometimes it just depends on the car the kit is on. I'd still be curious on what the MAC kit would do on a bone stock 03/04 vs. the stock air box. I think it'd be interesting ;)

Shannon

I'm glad to hear that you're car is turning into a monster. I agree with the maf position. Twisting that thing around can cause problems as well. I think that's what the MAC people are complaining about. I can rotate mine a complete 360 degrees if I want to. :dunno:

Josh

NO 5 OH
07-15-2004, 05:32 AM
I'm glad to hear that you're car is turning into a monster.

Well, I don't know if you'd call it a monster yet or not ;);)

Richard and I got up to the "local" dyno in Taylorsville to see what exactly it would lay down to the wheels. It hadn't been tuned (and still hasn't) since the longtubes, ProChamber, catback, TB and 6lb lower went on the car. I basically wanted to see what the air/fuel was like to make sure it wasn't leaning out. It's been smelling rich at idle... but the nose isn't factual proof like a dynojet is :)

So the specifics are:

No tune for all modifications
Insanely hot... 97* with about 90% humidity I believe
Twenty or so minute cool down on dyno, ice on Heaton and TB

Max power: 465
Max torque: 538

I was slightly dissapointed by the hp number... but was more than happy with the torque it produces. I believe with cooler weather and a good tune for all the comonents I should have close to 500 at the wheels. Air/fuel was around 11.8-12.0 at the tailpipe... so it could be leaned out maybe just a tad. I guess I'll just have to wait and see :cool:

On a side note... if you grab second gear like you mean to it will simply obliterate the F1's :D:D:D

Shannon

smashedheadcat
07-15-2004, 11:47 AM
The HP number is about average. The torque is great. I wouldn't lean my car out anymore than that. In fact, when I pulley mine down..... 11.0-11.4 is what I'm going for a/f wise. If I change power adders, hello 10.5 to 1 a/f. I will not blow another engine again.

Josh

NO 5 OH
07-15-2004, 07:43 PM
The HP number is about average. The torque is great. I wouldn't lean my car out anymore than that. In fact, when I pulley mine down..... 11.0-11.4 is what I'm going for a/f wise. If I change power adders, hello 10.5 to 1 a/f. I will not blow another engine again.

Average... perhaps. I thought it would put more down on the dyno than what it did, but I can't complain. Given the heat/humidity of when it was on the dyno I should have realized it wouldn't make monster hp numbers. I'm thinking like I was giving up about 10-15 hp max from the weather... and the tune wasn't right either.

Taken at the tailpipe, the air/fuel ratio will show leaner than what it is, say right after the headers. Don told me that since the car has no cats on it now... a 12.0 A/F would be close to a 11.5 or so in the midpipe. I won't run it on the ragged edge cause I know that's asking for trouble. He generally tunes 03/04 Cobra's to around 12.2/12.3 on a Mustang dynometer... taken at the rear O2 location. Since it is a Mustang dynometer and is loaded... the air fuel he tunes to is the same on the street.

I'm going to leave it alone for now... maybe when it cools down some I'll take it in for a final tune :thumbsup:

Well... maybe :D

Shannon

Corner-Carver
07-16-2004, 10:13 AM
What freakin' mods does the car have to make 465/538 in THIS weather? :eek:

My god, everybody else is losing a buttload of torque becuase of the heat!

NO 5 OH
07-16-2004, 07:46 PM
What freakin' mods does the car have to make 465/538 in THIS weather? :eek:

My god, everybody else is losing a buttload of torque becuase of the heat!

:rotf: :rotf: Sorry Paul... it just made me laugh :rotf: :rotf: I guess I really didn't think about them losing torque... I just thought it mainly affected horsepower.

At any rate... the mods are:

MAC "Straight Shot" CAI with 95mm mass air (stock electronics)
Accufab TB and polished Plenum (*bling*)
Kenne Bell 3.00" Eaton pulley
Metco 6lb lower
Metco 100mm aux. idler, 1 100mm, 2 90mm replacement idlers
MAC polished ceramic long tube headers
MAC Pro-Chamber
MAC 3" Flowpath catback
SCT 9100 Programmer, tuned by Don @ Modular Madness
Stock unported Eaton... motor is otherwise untouched.

And that's all it has done to it ;) Do I take it you were impressed by the torque numbers :D

Shannon

cobrabitn
07-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Here is what I decided to go with, partly because of the price.

2004 Mystichrome Cobra:

CAI Kit - jlt ($227.50 including shipping .. hp should be from 22 to 35 rwhp)
Cat Back - Magnaflow with 2.5 inch pipes and a 3.5 inch chrome tip ($349.00 includes shipping) Looking for 400+ rwhp. Got the deal from www.completeexhaust.com Awesome price! Thanks to the fellow that posted it in the other forum. :thumbsup:

Mods Left to do:

Smaller pulley
Computer reflash
Strut Tower Brace

1994 Cobra:

MAC OR H-Pipe - $133.00 shipped

Mods left to do:

MAC Catback (most likely?) =0)
Strut Tower Brace
Lowering Springs
Caster Camber Plates
Adjustable shocks
Panhard bar

This will be my AX/RR Car... I want handling first then I'll go for the HP. If I blow the engine then my wish list is to convert the car to 03 status using a wrecked 03/04 as the donor.

Thanks to all for the recommendations!

Tony

Corner-Carver
07-17-2004, 10:55 PM
Kenne Bell 3.00" Eaton pulley
Metco 6lb lower

Shannon

Now that makes more sense. Dat's uh buncha boost you bees runnin! :thumbsup:

BTW, how much were the MAC LT's and Prochamber set-up?

cobrabitn
07-17-2004, 11:12 PM
Paul,

Are you bringing your 03 to drag day in the Fall?

Tony

NO 5 OH
07-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Now that makes more sense. Dat's uh buncha boost you bees runnin! :thumbsup:

BTW, how much were the MAC LT's and Prochamber set-up?

Well... from what I've seen most people run a 3.10 with a 6 lb lower. I had a 3.00" pulley that I had on the car for about a month... I didn't figure that .100 less would do that much harm ;) I need to get an Autometer boost guage to see how much boost it's making. If you think that's something... the guy on the dyno before me Saturday getting tuned was running a 2.80 upper with a 6 lb lower... couldn't get an accurate torque reading as it wanted to break the tires loose on the dyno :eek:

MAC long tubes and Prochamber set-up was right at $700 if I remember correctly. I'd say the long tubes are part of the torque equation as well... they really help out on the bottom end. I need to get a sound file of this thing soon so everybody can hear what the full MAC exhaust sounds like :D

Corner-Carver
07-19-2004, 11:44 AM
Paul,

Are you bringing your 03 to drag day in the Fall?

Tony

Yup. Just not satisfied with 11.90's ;)

Cobragia
07-19-2004, 08:38 PM
Steeda cold air, UPR o/r X pipes, Flomaster cans, 2.9 pulley Dynoed 423 hp, 441,torque humid day @96 degress. Thats what I did. and it works for me.