PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade path

F0RSAKEN
07-15-2004, 03:58 AM
Hey guys, I just bought a '99 Cobra 35th anniversary, which came pretty much bone stock. I was just curious, is there a listed advised upgrade path somewhere? Like, what should I start working on first? i.e. intake, then exhaust, then chip, then whatever..

How much power are the chip/exhaust/intake worth seperately? Because I have a friend who has an '01 WS6 that he only chipped, and hes got a dyno sheet showing 364rwhp...what kinda gains does the cobra get from just a chip?

Also...who makes a good saleen mustang front bumper look-a-like? I fell in love with that lower splitter/bumper when I saw one the other day...I must have :D ideas?

One last Q for now, its kinda off the wall, but how well do these cars handle compared to other equivilent sports cars (camaro/330ci/rx8, that range).

Thanks

tcrews
07-15-2004, 08:14 AM
Chips...complete waste of money until you've got a significant amount of mods. The factory programming is on the aggressive already.

1st mod should be gears (4.30's), second exhaust, third short throw shifter and then whatever else as you desire. There is nothing that will make your car feel as responsive as gears other than adding a power-adder (blower/nos/turbo). Exhaust will give you that great sound as well as freeing up some more power and the stock shifter is just horrible (rubbery and too tall/long).

You can order the Saleen front bumper from Saleen.

Hey guys, I just bought a '99 Cobra 35th anniversary, which came pretty much bone stock. I was just curious, is there a listed advised upgrade path somewhere? Like, what should I start working on first? i.e. intake, then exhaust, then chip, then whatever..

How much power are the chip/exhaust/intake worth seperately? Because I have a friend who has an '01 WS6 that he only chipped, and hes got a dyno sheet showing 364rwhp...what kinda gains does the cobra get from just a chip?

Also...who makes a good saleen mustang front bumper look-a-like? I fell in love with that lower splitter/bumper when I saw one the other day...I must have :D ideas?

One last Q for now, its kinda off the wall, but how well do these cars handle compared to other equivilent sports cars (camaro/330ci/rx8, that range).

Thanks

Lumpydogs
07-15-2004, 09:56 AM
I agree with Tom, except for the short throw shifter. Do it first because
it's cheap and you can do it yourself in 30 minutes :D Words of wisdom:
Don't get too wrapped up in power numbers. Learn to drive your can and
enjoy what it can do. Once you decide what you want out of the car
(i.e. daily driver, some track, some strip, all track, all strip, etc.) then make
changes. Congrates on your Cobra purchase!

GUMBALL
07-15-2004, 11:45 AM
Forsaken:
Congrats on your new toy!
I respectfully have to disagree with "tcrews" and "lumpydogs"

The Mustang was never a purpose-built sportscar like the Corvette or Porsche, and consequently does not have the chassis stiffness to match the horsepower.

It would be my recommendation to start with subframe connectors, matrix braces, and jacking rails. Then a strut tower brace and caster plates. If you were to continue, then I would do Sport Springs.
For suppliers: www.kennybrown.com (http://www.kennybrown.com)
www.maximunmotorsports.com (http://www.maximunmotorsports.com)
www.steeda.com (http://www.steeda.com)

Then when you have a good platform, I would do the upgrades that tcrews and lumpydogs suggest.

Have fun.....:thumbsup:

F0RSAKEN
07-16-2004, 03:55 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the welcome, I got lucky with my car purchase, its a '99 35th anniversary edition in Tropical Green, with a dark grey/gunmetal leather interior. The previous owner put factory (not sure what they are exactly) gunmetal rims on it, 17" 6 double spoke (i dont think its stock on this car). He also put in the metal heat/air cond controls, metal dash inlays/defrost button. And new aluminum pedals/dead pedal.

Car is 5 years old, and only has 42k miles, Ill post pics tomorrow or next day if I'm able.

Another question, Im in love with the Saleen front end, but the factory piece is like 900 dollars...a bit over priced in my opinion...does someone make a look-a-like for cheaper?