PDA

View Full Version : How many miles on Goodyears

2XSVT
07-19-2004, 11:28 AM
Dang I was waxing the Cobra this weekend and noticed my rear tires are shot. I have 8000 miles and I don't go around doing burnouts, in fact 90% of the miles are on the beltway. How many miles iis everyone else getting ?:(

Firme
07-19-2004, 11:44 AM
I have never had tires last long on a Mustang. But that is my driving style, 8k is a bit on the too quick side.

But with the IRS Cobra's, the main factor in tire wear in the rear, is that they come aligned wrong from the factory, and the dealers can't align them for nothing.

If you find a real nice alignment shop and get the alignment redone, you will be amazed at what a difference it makes, and your tire wear will be even instead of the back chewing up tires for no reason.

bluethunder
07-19-2004, 12:03 PM
three words for ya- "IT'S A MUSTANG"

I'd be greatful to get 5K out of a set.

JBoden
07-19-2004, 09:43 PM
4-wheeel alignment is the key to tire life with the IRS !!! Firme's right - find a good alignment shop and buy the life-time alignment - you'll be money ahead. The streets in Houston are horrible and your tires are too expensive.

:rolleyes:

2XSVT
07-20-2004, 07:04 AM
Guess I will find a shop. The strange thing is I check the tire pressure 2 times a week and my rear tires have a 6" wide strip down the center with no tread left, the sides are worn but not that bad. I know overinflation will cause wear like I have but they have never been overinflated :doubt:

jimmysidecarr
07-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Guess I will find a shop. The strange thing is I check the tire pressure 2 times a week and my rear tires have a 6" wide strip down the center with no tread left, the sides are worn but not that bad. I know overinflation will cause wear like I have but they have never been overinflated :doubt:
Do you have to park in the sun at work??
On mine the sun side was 10 pounds higher than the shade side!!!!!
If driven at highway speeds(centrifical force adds to the problem) it might just be a factor......?
Jimmy

2XSVT
07-20-2004, 01:21 PM
That sounds reasonable, I park in the sun and drive on the beltway at a rather high rate of speed. I was thinking about the centrifical force causing the wear, then I thought naw it's not a top fueler.

JBoden
07-20-2004, 08:25 PM
The exact same thing happened to me - :mad: When I finally decided to have the rear alignment checked - I could'nt believe how far out it was. Now my tires are lasting. :cool: