PDA

View Full Version : Lift point for jacking

beerkat
07-22-2004, 07:57 AM
Ok I read the owners manual for jacking the car up. Of course that is on a normal Mustang. Do we use the same points on the Cobra? I like to know for the simple reason I do my own brake work and tire rotations. I bought a set of ramps to do oil changes and such, but you can not do brake work on ramps. So how do I get the car on jack stands?

NO 5 OH
07-22-2004, 06:42 PM
So how do I get the car on jack stands?

Very carefully ;);)

Seriously... there are several places you can use as a jacking point to get jack stands under the car. Since your car is a convertible (like mine) you can use the sub-frame connectors, the k-member (for the front) or the convertible x-brace that ties the k-member into the front unibody. You can also put the jack under the forward frame rails (forward of the sub-frames) and lift it up there.

I don't know what type of jack you use... but I have a Craftsman 3 ton jack and to get it under the k-member and jack the front up I have to use a smaller jack under the x-brace from the side to get the car up high enough to use the 3 ton jack. To get the rear up in the air is more of a hassle... but you can jack the whole rear up by placing a jack under either sub-frame connector on either side and will lift up the entire rear of the car. I don't particularly like doing it this way but there's no way to get my jack under the center section and lift it up like on a live axle car.

HTH,

Shannon

GUMBALL
07-23-2004, 08:46 AM
Try a piece of 2"x4" wood about 1 ft long on the jack and jackstands - it keeps fron denting the subframes or floor.

For the future, I would suggest subframe connectors/matrix brace/jacking rails....it not only stiffens the car, it gives a place for jack and jackstands.
Look on websites for Kenny Brown, Maximum Motorsports........;)

DNeinstadt
07-23-2004, 11:47 AM
You could purchase Rhino Ramps from Wal*Mart for $17. They clear the Cobra's ground effects I'm told. I'll find out tonight! :)

Dan

03 cobra toy
07-23-2004, 12:20 PM
Ok I read the owners manual for jacking the car up. Of course that is on a normal Mustang. Do we use the same points on the Cobra? I like to know for the simple reason I do my own brake work and tire rotations. I bought a set of ramps to do oil changes and such, but you can not do brake work on ramps. So how do I get the car on jack stands?

My car has been jacked up maybe a 100 time without any damage
see pic

http://ml.truckmoxie.com/showownerpic.ten-u-3874-n-88248-pos-1

http://ml.truckmoxie.com/showownerpic.ten-u-3874-n-88246-pos-2

beerkat
07-25-2004, 10:17 AM
Thanks you for the pictures. I know that I will need to add jacking rails. I plan on stiffing the subframe over time since this will be my track car. My roll bar will be coming the first part of Aug. I found a set of FlowMaster for my car for $100. They came off of another '03. So I need to beable to get under the car.

Thanks again for the help.:thumbsup: