PDA

View Full Version : 97 Cobra Engine trouble.....

SVTCobra97
07-23-2004, 09:19 PM
I was driving home from work today when the car started accelerating like crap. The engine seems to somewhat jolt or sputter while accelerating between 1300-2300. I can't really tell or feel if it does that above those rpms. I also can't really tell if it is doing it at idle either.. but I think I here something different. The car has almost 90k on it. I don't know how old the fuel filter/injectors/plugs/plug wires/etc are on the car. The only mod I have is a UPR powerpipe. Any advice? Is this a cylinder not firing? What do you guys think? FORD wants 80 bucks to run a check on the car.

If this is a cylinder not firing, is it ok to drive on the car temporarily? There is a car show in cincy (40 min away) that I want to go to this weekend.

cobrabitn
07-23-2004, 09:51 PM
Is it throwing a code? Take it to Autozone and let them do a code check on it for free...

SVTCobra97
07-23-2004, 09:59 PM
No!?? I thought for sure it would throw a code, but it hasn't. All last week I kept throwing a code for an O2 sensor, but that has since stopped coming up. I didn't think there was any hurry to replace that since the car would run just fine anyways.

Firme
07-23-2004, 10:05 PM
If its only below 3000 rpm like you said, it might be your IMRC's malfunctioning???? Just a thought.

If you care to venture that avenue, here is a Club "How to" on cleaning them.

http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/media/pdfs/tech/IMRC_Cleaning.pdf

SVTCobra97
07-23-2004, 10:11 PM
If its only below 3000 rpm like you said, it might be your IMRC's malfunctioning???? Just a thought.

I'm sure those are probably dirty, but i'm not sure they would cause the engine to act the way it is.

also...... I cleaned the engine the night before.... degreaser and hosed down everything with light pressure..... would this have done anything??

SVTCobra97
07-23-2004, 10:12 PM
I think I am going to change the plugs tonight and put some fuel injector cleaner in there.....

anything on if I would be ok driving it or not?

xanavisilvia
07-23-2004, 11:28 PM
I think I am going to change the plugs tonight and put some fuel injector cleaner in there.....

anything on if I would be ok driving it or not?

I think you should replace the plug wires also. Sounds like you are losing spark. Maybe your plug wires got some rip or tear in the boots.

SVTCobra97
07-23-2004, 11:33 PM
I think you should replace the plug wires also. Sounds like you are losing spark. Maybe your plug wires got some rip or tear in the boots.

I dont' know if I can get ahold of a set by tomorrow morning. I want to get FMS 9mm wires unless someone has a better suggestion. Does autozone or pep boys sell GOOD wires for cobras? Is it a good idea to just replace the plugs for now? and then the wires later next week?

sorry for all the questions.

I drove the car again too. At idle, you can slightly feel the car shake and hear a strange uneven gurgle in the exhaust. The rpms remain constant.

:( ???????????????????????????

Thanks to all who have replied so far.

SpeedFreakSVT
07-24-2004, 03:32 PM
try wires or coil packs... i sort of had the same problem and i changed those and it took care of it...

tcrews
07-24-2004, 03:44 PM
If the problem is below 3250 rpm then it would be hard for a malfunctioning IMRC to be the trouble. They could be fused close for all the computer would care. If the problem was above 3250 rpm then it could be IMRC related. When they malfunction it's on opening (stuck closed, broken cable, failed controller).

SVTCobra97
07-25-2004, 09:51 PM
I put about 100 miles on the cobra today and it has done much better with the new plugs. I will still be replacing wires, fuel filter, and o2 sensor... but problem solved for now.

Thanks for everyones input.

Brett

nckissfan
07-25-2004, 10:05 PM
I am using the MSD 8.5 mm wires. They are real nice.