PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 1 Change Intervals

Scott99Cobra
07-26-2004, 09:00 AM
I am going to switch over to Mobil 1 my next change. Just wondering what change interval others are using? I was thinking 5-6K???

Aaron94
07-27-2004, 04:37 PM
I run 5-6k mile changes on my car, running Royal Purple Synthetic now, and a mobil 1 oil filter. I used to run Mobil 1 and did 5k changes as well with no problems. I think Mobil 1 is good oil, i only switched to the purple because a friend turned me on to it.

When i drove out to the 5th Anniv i rang up 6k miles before i got home to change the oil, and it still was a nice brown color, not black at all. Of course the oil was only used for 2 weeks... :thumbsup:

I would just check the oil around 3k or 4k and see how it looks. If it is still pretty, and its not something like 8 months old, i wouldnt worry about it.

Scott99Cobra
07-27-2004, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was going to stick with the stock Motorcraft filter although I have read good things about the Mobil 1 filter. I was thinking about going 6K and changing the filter at 3K. I have thought about some of the other synthetics also. I found this 6 pack of Mobil 1 at Sams Club for a little under $24 and thought it was a good price. I have never used synthetic before, so I am more than concerned about the change intervals. Where can you get the Mobil 1 filters for a reasonable price, and what do they go for?

Thanks again!

Aaron94
07-28-2004, 02:52 AM
that is a pretty good price for a case of mobil 1. I get my filters at autozone, and honestly i dont know how much they cost. 7-12 bucks...? I change the filter the same time as the oil, every 5-6k.

My philosophy on the oil thing is this... Its more about wear on the oil, than it is about the mileage. If you arent driving the car like an animal all the time, you are not going to have any problem going 5-6k miles on an oil change. If you take it to the track every other weekend for 2 months, and only put on 1000 miles, i would change the oil if it looks dirty and discolored.

the whole 3 month/ 3000 mile thing is just an industry standard. I think some car makes these days only recommend every 10k miles. 5-6k on mobil 1 is totally acceptable, i wouldnt worry about it. just inspect the oil every so often to see how it is holding up.