PDA

View Full Version : Who's up for some Fishing next weekend?

bluethunder
07-26-2004, 10:08 AM
After This Weekend LArry has gotten me Hooked( hahaha) on Fishing! I'm heading down to Galveston this weekend to do some fishing if anyone is interested!

I cought A Keeper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care who you are, That was Fun!

Twice Bitten
07-26-2004, 10:39 AM
Joey learned the hard way that Spanish mackerel have sharp teeth...he went through several hooks, changed to a steel leader, then they took that. He finally landed a keeper and sang about it the whole way back to the house. He is a FAST learner! Kathy's method of catching fish was to set the rod in the rod holder and "walk away"- they took it every time! Stan found the sweet spot right away and was about to show us all up. Philip showed us all how to land a flounder at the house...and how to test your fishing pole repair skills! :rotf: What a great group of fishing enthusiasts. You can fish in our boat anytime! (Rachel wants Joey to help her obtain bait from now on...he has the "touch" with pushy fisherman who step in front of you in line! It's nice to have your own personal bodyguard!) ;)

We had a little entertainment when we had to assist with a medical emergency on the water...a guy tried to repair his boat motor at the jetties and almost severed his thumb. His wife flagged us down JUST as we were arriving at the jetties. We secured the injured man (made his likely intoxicated butt lay down and elevate the wound - duh!) and towed them in to meet the Coast Guard boat. (A note to all of the do-it-yourselfers - think about where you are location-wise before you reach into a live motor). It could have been ugly...actually uglier. He was a mess. All the Budweiser in the world couldn't make that dangling thumb feel any better.

Thanks to Stan, Joey and Kathy for making the trip out in the boat a fun one! And for helping clean up on return... What a great day!

Levi
07-26-2004, 10:53 AM
What a great day!

You can say that again. :thumbsup:
The R is not the only thing you drive fast. I think we got airborn a couple times. :bounce: Thank you for a great weekend. :D

97CasperCobra
07-26-2004, 11:19 AM
We secured the injured man (made his likely intoxicated butt lay down and elevate the wound - duh!) and towed them in to meet the Coast Guard boat.

actually it's direct pressure w/guaze, still bleeding add more guaze w/direct pressure and wrap, still bleeding....elevate, STILL bleeding add pressure to the pressure point(for the arm it's on the inside of the arm between the bicep and tricep) ;)

BUT....glad ya'll had a fun time fishing. Next time I'll definately take off BOTH days from work so I can "play" some more. :thumbsup: :D

bluethunder
07-26-2004, 11:20 AM
Joey learned the hard way that Spanish mackerel have sharp teeth...he went through several hooks, changed to a steel leader, then they took that. He finally landed a keeper and sang about it the whole way back to the house. He is a FAST learner! Kathy's method of catching fish was to set the rod in the rod holder and "walk away"- they took it every time! Stan found the sweet spot right away and was about to show us all up. Philip showed us all how to land a flounder at the house...and how to test your fishing pole repair skills! :rotf: What a great group of fishing enthusiasts. You can fish in our boat anytime! (Rachel wants Joey to help her obtain bait from now on...he has the "touch" with pushy fisherman who step in front of you in line! It's nice to have your own personal bodyguard!) ;)

We had a little entertainment when we had to assist with a medical emergency on the water...a guy tried to repair his boat motor at the jetties and almost severed his thumb. His wife flagged us down JUST as we were arriving at the jetties. We secured the injured man (made his likely intoxicated butt lay down and elevate the wound - duh!) and towed them in to meet the Coast Guard boat. (A note to all of the do-it-yourselfers - think about where you are location-wise before you reach into a live motor). It could have been ugly...actually uglier. He was a mess. All the Budweiser in the world couldn't make that dangling thumb feel any better.

Thanks to Stan, Joey and Kathy for making the trip out in the boat a fun one! And for helping clean up on return... What a great day!

You can say that again. :thumbsup:
The R is not the only thing you drive fast. I think we got airborn a couple times. :bounce: Thank you for a great weekend. :D

Air borne, that's an understatement, But I gotta hand it to Larry, he can drive that boat like only a wild boat man can.

As for the fishing, I'm going out today after work to buy some stuff and stuff that will hold up against those Darn Spanish mackerel. I wanna catch a jack fish next time. As for the "thumbless man" He won't be hitch hiking home tonight! Did you find out if they actually call it BWI ( Boating while Intoxicated?) I think he's got more to worry about than that thumb! Oh, WEll we got to fish!
My Pop (father) didn't beleive me that we were fishing all day and all night the night before! Larry- you're my witness!

93KingCobra
07-26-2004, 11:44 AM
I had a blast!!! I hope to not mess up any more reals Larry. I hope we can do it again soon!! :bounce:

Twice Bitten
07-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Phil...I'm going out today to get you a Scooby Doo reel that doesn't tangle (you know I love ya and we are just messing with you... :rotf: ). Joey...get steel leaders and some treble hooks (same size we were using I think #8 or #10?). Heavier Stren line and bigger hooks will NOT work. ;) The sheriff that works with Larry said more than likely the Coast Guard "returned quickly" to help us tow the lady and the boat back in after they took the man to the hospital was to search a little further and possibly investigate their extracurricular activities.

Mike...we definitely could have used your expertise...he had wrapped it in a towel which was soaked with blood but the bleeding had pretty much stopped by the time we got there. When I saw her waving us over, he was sitting up behind the cockpit, doubled over, holding his stomach. I was worried that he had been run through with a gaff or had a burst appendix...but actually he was holding his hand to his stomach and bending over in pain. It's not something you want to happen across, but we were glad to help.

It was a memorable day...and the fishing was fun. It's supposed to be even better next weekend.... :eek:

Twice Bitten
07-26-2004, 12:48 PM
Joey...Larry wanted me to add that it IS BWI (Boating While Intoxicated) and does carry the same penalties as DWI, including possible confiscation of the vessel. Remember that all parties are presumed innocent until proven guilty but the number of beer cans was a little incriminating.

Also, Cut Rate Tackle (not sure whether their name has changed to Fishing Unlimited or not) next to Carter's Country is a great spot for fishing stuff and especially rod/reel combos (some are re-worked and a great price). They are on I-10 near Goode's BBQ. There's another one on the way to Galveston, not sure what exit but near Clear Lake? Academy is also a favorite spot. You can get carried away with expensive rods and reels but we have found combos at Cut Rate for a steal. (y no se le olvide su licensia amorcito!)

bluethunder
07-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Joey...get steel leaders and some treble hooks (same size we were using I think #8 or #10?). Heavier Stren line and bigger hooks will NOT work. ;) :

Got it, Printing this out right now and going to Academy this afternoon on my lunch break!

It was a memorable day...and the fishing was fun. It's supposed to be even better next weekend.... :eek:

What time should we show up and what do we need to bring? :D :D ;) ;)
I'll bring some sandwich meat for lunch on the boat!

But I gotta catch another KEEPER!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

bluethunder
07-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Joey...Larry wanted me to add that it IS BWI (Boating While Intoxicated) and does carry the same penalties as DWI, including possible confiscation of the vessel. Remember that all parties are presumed innocent until proven guilty but the number of beer cans was a little incriminating.

Also, Cut Rate Tackle (not sure whether their name has changed to Fishing Unlimited or not) next to Carter's Country is a great spot for fishing stuff and especially rod/reel combos (some are re-worked and a great price). They are on I-10 near Goode's BBQ. There's another one on the way to Galveston, not sure what exit but near Clear Lake? Academy is also a favorite spot. You can get carried away with expensive rods and reels but we have found combos at Cut Rate for a steal. (y no se le olvide su licensia amorcito!)

Got it, Poor Guy! Can you say- "you have a collect call from an Inmate at the Galveston county Jail"? :eek: I'll go by Cut rate too, I know where they are! I am also going to Get a Fishing Licence as well! :thumbsup:
Gotta get a Larry a Lady Pooper for the Boat! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I just went online and found the fishing report for this week and this weekend! It's looking good!!!!! I'm going to get atleast a 20" SPeck! I said SPECK not SP!C.... :doubt:

Twice Bitten
07-26-2004, 02:38 PM
We can head down whenever...Friday night? We have a toilet seat that fits on the bucket... ;) I'll get some steaks for the grill.

bluethunder
07-26-2004, 02:48 PM
Well, I just got back from Academy and $108.03 Later, I have a new rod and reel, Some tackle and a cool Tackle Box!

I'm oficially and Angler, Except for the fact that I forgot to buy a Fishing License! :doh: But I'll get one soon enough!

Bag and Length Limits for Saltwater Fish Species Daily Bag Length in Inches
(Minimum-Maximum)
Amberjack, Greater 1 32 - No limit
Bass: striped, its hybrids and subspecies 5
(in any combination)
18 No limit
Catfish: channel and blue catfish,
their hybrids and subspecies 25 (in any combination) 12 No limit
Catfish, flathead 5 18 No limit
Catfish, gafftopsail No limit 14 No limit
Cobia 2 37 No limit
Drum, black 5 14 30
Drum, red* 3 20 28*
Flounder: all species, their hybrids and subspecies 10 (in any combination) 14 No limit
Grouper, goliath (formerly called Jewfish) 0 Catch and release only
Mackerel, king 2 27 No limit
Mackerel, Spanish 15 14 No limit
Marlin, blue No limit 131 No limit
Marlin, white No limit 86 No limit
Mullet: all species, their hybrids
and subspecies** No limit No limit 12** (during Oct., Nov., Dec. & Jan.)
Sailfish No limit 84 No limit
Seatrout, spotted*** 10 15 25***
Shark: all species, their hybrids
and subspecies 1 24 No limit
Sheepshead 5 12 No limit
Snapper, lane No limit 8 No limit
Snapper, red 4 15 No limit
Snapper, vermilion No limit 10 No limit
Snook 1 24 28
Tarpon**** 0 Catch and release only****

* Red drum special regulation: During a license year, one red drum over the stated maximum length limit may be retained when affixed with a properly completed Red Drum Tag and one red drum over the stated maximum length limit may be retained when affixed with a properly completed Bonus Red Drum Tag. Any fish retained under authority of a Red Drum Tag or a Bonus Red Drum Tag may be retained in addition to the daily bag and possession limit as stated in this section.

** May not take from public waters, or possess on board a boat, mullet over 12 inches during October, November, December, and January. No limits apply during other months.

*** No more than one spotted seatrout over the stated maximum length may be retained per person per day and counts as part of the daily bag and possession limit.

**** Tarpon special regulation: One tarpon 80 inches or larger in length may be retained during a license year when affixed with a properly executed Tarpon Tag.

bluethunder
07-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Larry- Here's what I wanna Catch and I don't mean the Girl!

http://www.txfishing.com/images/covershots/Dina_Kessler.jpg

bluethunder
07-26-2004, 08:31 PM
just got the fishing license and all! I'm an officail Angler now and i nhave tags for the big ones!

Carl G
07-26-2004, 08:45 PM
just got the fishing license and all! I'm an officail Angler now and i nhave tags for the big ones!
Joey the bad news is that your fishing license will expire next month. then you have to buy another. though you might like to know.

msmap
07-26-2004, 08:59 PM
Sounds like someone got hooked this weekend :cool:

coleman
07-26-2004, 11:34 PM
you all are really starting to make me feel bad about living this far away from the coast/gulf :(

bluethunder
07-27-2004, 10:02 AM
Joey the bad news is that your fishing license will expire next month. then you have to buy another. though you might like to know.

I know Carl, It sucks but the 14 day one is $15 + the $10 salt water tag and it only last's 14 days! the regular one with the saltwater tag was $33 and it lasts till 8/31. so on 9/1 I'll have to go and get another one along with my hunting license.