PDA

View Full Version : Gas or Diesel

Levi
07-26-2004, 04:05 PM
I need something that gets good gas mileage for going to work and pulling my car. Before I get into a Lightning with outrageous mthly payments. I was thinking about a F150 4.6 or 5.4 or maybe a F250 6.0 diesel. Give me some Pro's and Con's about your driving experiences with these types of trucks.

03 cobra toy
07-26-2004, 04:28 PM
I need something that gets good gas mileage for going to work and pulling my car. Before I get into a Lightning with outrageous mthly payments. I was thinking about a F150 4.6 or 5.4 or maybe a F250 6.0 diesel. Give me some Pro's and Con's about your driving experiences with these types of trucks.

If you go with the F150 get the 5.4 :D just my $ .02

bluethunder
07-26-2004, 04:40 PM
I'd say go for the F-250, I know I am! From what i've found out, Desiel I always going to be cheaper as it is a by product of Unleaded gas, 85% of America's goods are trucked arcoss the country in desiel trucks, and It has never gone above $1.60 a gallon.

Second, The F-250 Power Stroke has a proven track record, #1 selling Desiel truck in the country like 15 years in a row. I did some cheking into them and oil chages are every 10K vs. 3K, Maintnance is a little more but well worth the small extra cost! Also The hold their re-sale value very well, Better torque for pulling and great highway milage for towing a car to events! They are also known to last for a couple hundred thousand miles! Desiels with around a 100K miles on them are know to "just be broken in". Last but not least, Ford is willing to work with someone buying an F-250 since the newer '05 Models are coming out!

They have more room, better comfort and last but not least -- It's the big bad boy of the ford Truck department!

now for the cno's- I haven't found too many except for finding a parking spot is hard, they don't fit in too many garages. Soome others are the Tailgates are some of the most stolen parts of any Truck line made. They just pull off after cutting 2 wires.Another con is they are just LOUD, they say at the dealership that if a quite one comes in then they have a really bad problem! The last con I could think of is they are usually between 19-34K used for a nice one!

I know this is not a good pro-con for gas trucks, But I am partcial to the Desiels! That's what I'm selling the coupe to get, well that and Jim's Car!

bluethunder
07-26-2004, 05:07 PM
http://www.fordpower.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97062

Andy M
07-26-2004, 06:13 PM
I need something that gets good gas mileage for going to work and pulling my car. Before I get into a Lightning with outrageous mthly payments. I was thinking about a F150 4.6 or 5.4 or maybe a F250 6.0 diesel. Give me some Pro's and Con's about your driving experiences with these types of trucks.Stan,

ok, if you want this to be a daily driver, AND you want to pull an open trailer, AND you want good gas mileage... you are out of luck. Any truck with a gas engine powerful enough to pull a trailer with a car on it, is gonna suck da gas! :rolleyes: Joe Johnson's 150 (5.4 motor) makes around 10 mpg or less towing... YIKES!...

If you have the budget for it, my advice would of course be to get a diesel. A diesel engine has a ton more towing torque, is more fuel efficient, and will last a LOT longer than a gasoline engine will. The big downside is the upfront cost.. an F250 Powerstroke costs around $4800 more than a gas engine F250 (list price that is). However, the thing will last forever. I plan to put at least 200K miles on mine before considering a trade. Mine is a little over 2 years old and is just starting to get good and broken in.

If you do not have the budget for a new one, you can get great deals on 250 Powerstroke trucks ... I see 1999-2001 trucks all the time like mine for low to mid 20's.. depends on the mileage.

on the topic of gas engine trucks... I would not try pulling a trailer with a car on it with anything but a 5.4. The 4.6 will pull it but will struggle more than you want it to.

In summary, my advice is to get a used F250 Powerstroke crew cab (like mine). Diesel fuel is relatively inexpensive compared to the rest of the gasoline fuels... and you can expect to make about 13-16 mpg in town, around the same or a little less while towing, and then closer to 16-20 on the hiway when not towing. Mine makes 14 mpg towing that big arss trailer I have with my car and all my stuf inside... total weight is about 8500-9000 pounds!!! :eek: :eek:

Call me if you wish to discuss this further...

Levi
07-26-2004, 06:33 PM
I was thinking a 5.4 would be good, but the gas mileage would suck.
I thought Diesel would be better and more efficient. The prices are high for diesel trucks and I did not think about a used one. Thanks to eveyone for the info.

I got to do something soon so I can pull the car to the track.

Talking to self (oooooo what do I do? make up mind). :D

msmap
07-26-2004, 08:56 PM
hmmmm, keep your little truck for daily driving providing it is all paid for and is running good and get the biggie for towing. Drop off all but the public liability on the little truck. Only thing you would be out is the extra insurance payment which for just pl isn't too bad. My taurus beater runs 293 every 6 months.

Levi
07-27-2004, 10:14 AM
Little toy not paid for and I cant wait till it is, so off to big truck land for me. Need the easy of the tow thats why I put the question up about gas or diesel. I like the F150 5.4, but the gas miles maybe bad so the diesel an F250 maybe the ticket.