PDA

View Full Version : 4.6 intake..

SVTCobra96
07-26-2004, 10:38 PM
i heard from a friend that the 4.6 liter engines intakes are totally plastic and which crack or break in the winter or when u get on it alot im just makin sure of this and if it is what is the best intake to buy for a 97 cobra.

Jesse99
07-26-2004, 11:40 PM
Yes it's true, but not on every engine.. I believe the cobra intake is different.. On my 98 GT I had to replace it, The replacement part is better, with less plastic.. If I'm correct the 98 GT was the only 4.6 that had the intake problem and a recall from Ford..

smashedheadcat
07-27-2004, 12:06 AM
The cobras don't have plastic intakes. The gt's lower intakes are made of plastic.

tcrews
07-27-2004, 12:07 AM
Nope. The GT had a plastic intake, the Cobra doesn't. You're not going to have a lot of luck finding an intake to replace your stock one. Your intake ported or having the runners shortened is really about your only choice. Leave it stock.

Quit listening to whoever you've been talking to because they sure don't know much.

i heard from a friend that the 4.6 liter engines intakes are totally plastic and which crack or break in the winter or when u get on it alot im just makin sure of this and if it is what is the best intake to buy for a 97 cobra.

ausie
07-28-2004, 08:15 AM
Are we talking Plenums or just intake piping here? The 99-04 Cobra's have a plastic intake tube, but the plenum is made from cast aluminum. I do know that the GT and V6 use a composit (plastic) plenum. I wonder if ford is still going to use the plastic on the new 2005 Mustang?