PDA

View Full Version : Help me out, what are these panels?

Caligo
07-31-2004, 02:37 PM
I am still searching for my rattle and I'm curious about these two panels. Between the front wheel wells and the engine are these two very flimsy, flat, plastic panels that hang down (one on each side). Can anybody tell me what these are? Thanks.

edit: it's a 2001 cobra convertible.

cowboyharry
07-31-2004, 06:53 PM
???? Tire curtains would be a good name. ???

My Cobra
07-31-2004, 09:14 PM
I have some plastic piece that goes between the tire and the front bumper i hate it. it is all tore up and stuff. i dunno what the last owner did to my baby. lol

ausie
08-01-2004, 02:17 PM
One would call those flimsy things "splash guards". They prevent water from splashing into the engine compartment if you hit any deep water or pooling in the road. It is a cheap way to protect the headers from cracking due to extreme temperature changes since they are made from cast iron. They really are not necessary if you do not drive in the rain or bad weather.

Caligo
08-01-2004, 02:58 PM
thanks for the info...and the sarcasm. I don't know, it just seems like a lot of the things on this car could be attached a little more securely than they are. Too many plastic plugs and they don't stay in place.

My Cobra
08-01-2004, 09:51 PM
ha ha ha ha. i wonder how mine got tore up. I guess to wide of a tire?

ausie
08-04-2004, 06:51 AM
if you are ripping into the wheel canopy, water skirt, tire shield, or splash guard (or what ever they are really called), I would be more concerned what it is doing to the tire than what the tire is doing to it. More than likely the previous owner wanted to keep the rims.

If you have problems with the clips comming loose, they are cheap to replace. Just a simple snap fit pin which you can get a package or set for under $5.00. As for the flexible mat, I am sure it has some purpose otherwise they would omit them to save money. There are many molded or die cut plastic parts on just about every car these days. There are some internal panels I would like to have made from carbon fiber for a better look. Other than that, I can live with the plastic. At least ford did not cover the motor up with a plastic cover like some european cars have which tends to make the motor look boring.