PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter?

Stang03
08-01-2004, 08:44 PM
What is the best air filter to get for a 2003 Cobra? Someone told me that the SVT comes with a high performance filter from the factory, is that true? I've also heard that because the K&N filter is oil based, it can mess up the mass air, throttle body or something like that which can lead to ruff idling. If anyone has a K&N filter or knows what the best filter to get is, please respond.

TERMN8OR
08-02-2004, 10:25 AM
My 2003 cobra came with a regular ford filter.I changed to an Accel Cool Blue air fliter just to be a little different.Most everyone uses a K&N filter.Maybe know difference between the K&N and Cool Blue except for their color.Yes I`ve heard that if you over oil the filter then you may have a problem with oil blowing onto the MAF sensor wire.Has never happen to me even when I had a K&N filter in my last truck.

smashedheadcat
08-02-2004, 11:28 AM
As long as you don't get too excessive with the oil on the filter, you'll be okay. I've never had a problem with K&N filters. The stock filter is anything but high performance. Big gains are seen, felt, and heard by switching out the factory paper filter. The K&N flows better, and filters better. Pretty much, any cold air kit, open air filter, or drop in replacement filter will show significant gains for sure.

SeeDee03
08-02-2004, 10:22 PM
I just installed a Steeda CAI kit in mine. I had installed just a predator tune and the car didn't run very well. Once I installed the Steeda the SC sound is just plain sexy!!!

SlowSVT
08-03-2004, 07:14 PM
Josh

A K&N filter (or any gauze type media) will not filter the air better then a stock fiber element. Look up into a K&N through the light and you will see lots of pin size holes. It will flow more air but your engine will be injesting more grit (that will do wonders for your blower casing). Check my reply to post "K&N filters"

Russ

cobracrazy
08-03-2004, 11:20 PM
OK..... Here goes...

I put the K&N CAI kit on my car when it had 3k miles on it. I followed the instructions and there was no excessive oil. The car started stalling when going into a turn or slowing for a light. Everyone said it was a messed up MAF because of oil.... SO I put the stock air cleaner back and the stalling stopped. I concluded it was not oil on the MAF because the stock air cleaner could not magically clean off the MAF.

Now... It is important to mention that my 03 Cobra was an early build and so I took it to the dealer and asked them to reflash the computer with whatever update was available.

Put the K&N back on and no stalling...

Just my story... (BTW I love the sound the SC makes with that air cleaner) :thumbsup:

FALCON
08-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Installed the K&N filter this morning, I did the Borla Stingers last week. The K&N sure woke up the Cobra. Much better throttle response, haven't hit it hard yet, :baby:she only up to 457 miles. Does this combo require any tunes?

cobrabitn
08-04-2004, 09:10 PM
You should not need a tune and if you are going to put a pulley on it later then I'd just wait and not waste the money! :cool: