PDA

View Full Version : NASA TX Video from MSR 7/11/04

Admiral
08-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Here's a pretty good video of a few laps at MSR, taken by a Honda Challenge racer in last July's NASA TX race. Yes, I'm the one who has the off in Wagon Wheel.........

Right Click, save as. 23MB
http://www.allriskga.com/hc2.mpg

97CasperCobra
08-02-2004, 11:26 AM
awesome video Mike. Is that Eric Varner in the red coupe?? The Honda driver is pretty damn good....nice skills in the Prelude. I really want to try out that track sometime soon.....if only the $$$ allowed. ;)

Admiral
08-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Yep, that was Eric in his red CMC #17 ex-DPS Coupe. Can you believe he bought that car for $1350 and hasn't had to touch the motor? Maaco paint, AutoPower bolt in roll cage, Spec Toyo's and he's in action! (yeah, he did splurge and do the rear disc brakes and PHB too, lol).

Levi
08-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Great vidoe, Mike did you just over cook the corner or did something on the car brake? You sure where looking good up to that point. Man I cant wait till Oct.

Admiral
08-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Purely driver error. As you can see, we were having alot of fun up front with 4 Mustangs and the Porsche (driven by Kevin Mixon). I was up on the wheel and full of adrenaline and paranoia (great combo, huh?) and simply got too wide in Wagon Wheel. That corner has an increase of off-camber out near the edge, I found it at the point when I least needed to, simply couldnt keep the car on the pavement.

What the video doesn't show is that I ended up trying to get back on the gas too soon, spun the car across the track and came to a rest on the infield portion. I got her stopped, then gingerly got back onto the track in last place. Had to drive like a madman (set the fastest lap of the race) to finish 4th out of 8 AI cars, lol.

Levi
08-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Yes it looked like you all where having fun and what a great comeback to get up to 4th. Man I wish I could of been there. Hopefuly next year I will be better prepaired for open track. :thumbsup:

JBoden
08-02-2004, 09:51 PM
Now that gets the juices flowing !! :eek:

Firme
08-02-2004, 11:10 PM
Great Video Mike,

That is some awesome display of driver skill. Makes alot of us jealous, and wish we were able to compete at that level.

Levi
08-03-2004, 09:15 AM
Great Video Mike,

That is some awesome display of driver skill. Makes alot of us jealous, and wish we were able to compete at that level.

Edmond, you got that right, would love to do what Mike and them get to do......... :woot: :burnout: :flash:

Admiral
08-03-2004, 09:40 AM
I need to put in a disclaimer here, I'm simply not real good at this stuff yet. I put the "yet" part in there because I'm really really hoping to get better. The three Mustangs up front, John George, Wayne Manor, and Richard Pedersen are outstanding drivers and are very fast. I think my car is much more capable than the driver at this point and it allows me to hang out around the top half of the field until I make a big mistake -which I have done in almost every race thus far.

[NASA mode]
One thing I'd recommend for those interested in racing, get a "beater" track car. Get some old 5.0 Mustang you don't need to take to work on Monday or that you don't have a bunch of $$ tied up in and take that to the track. HPDE, then OT, then Race. NASA got me up to speed very quickly. I started my HPDE/OT experience in my 94 Corvette. I liked the car too much to continue thrashing it at local track weekends, so I got the 95 GT on Ebay. I watched one sell here in Spring, TX last week for $3950 on Ebay. You guys have way too nice of cars to be racing IMHO! Keep those Cobras nice and shiny, believe me I'd feel guilty thrashing one of them at 10/10ths on the track in competition.

Like I said above, Eric got his 89 Mustang for $1350. Mechanically it was sound, cosmetically it was a nightmare. Gut the interior (free), then get an AutoPower bolt-in roll cage ($800 IIRC) with window net. You've already got the helmet (or you should if you are doing HPDE/OT stuff!), so then you just need the external kill switch ($40) and fire extinguisher ($40), a driver's suit (GEFORCE 505 is $239.99 on sale now here: http://www.saferacer.com/gf505onrasu.html) and some spec Toyo tires ($750) - all set to go racing in CMC! If the car is too ugly to be seen in public (Eric's sure was!) then go to Maaco and get a $400 quickie paint job like he did. Good enough to be at the track, looks even better at 100mph, lol.

Really, where can you race a V8 pony car for $3500? The good news is you can do HPDE/OT while you get all your gear listed above, and be getting credit towards your NASA Competition License by enrolling in their "racecraft" school during your HPDE/OT events.
[/NASA mode]

Levi
08-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Mike, I have seen you , John G, Wayne M, and Richard P. live on track and in action, I am hooked. I will do this round of mods to the Cobra and then on to race car. Atleast thats my hopes and dreams. Racecraft idea is a good one, I will try and get that going next year.

Watching you peeps on-track make's the hair on my arm stand on end
and
Mike, I think you wheel a car vary well. :thumbsup: