PDA

View Full Version : 2001 cobra Mods Help

solo
08-04-2004, 10:48 AM
Just got a 2001 black Cobra with only 28K Miles all stock. Not sure what kind of mods to do. Would like to hear some suggestions. Also was told not to do too much because the block would not handle it being all aluminum. :)

Jesse99
08-04-2004, 12:39 PM
there's quite a few things you can do.. you can put on underdrive pullys, Cold-Air Induction Systems, chip, cat backs, 373 rear gears, there's all kinds of stuff you can do.. as far as the block is concerned.. aluminum, cast iron they all have there limits.. If you build up your car for high HP just check to see if your your block is built to handle the HP.. I have a friend Steven with an 01 Cobra here runing underdrive pullys, catbacks and NX nitrus on a stock block.. he's had it on for about 6 months now and the car still runs great.. no problems what so ever.. of course this may very with everyone.. also his car dino with the nitrus a little over 396hp .. Also my friend Joe has a 99 Cobra with a Vortect supercharger, bigger fuel jet, and chip on a stock block and he dino at 476hp.. He had it on for about 2 years now with no problem.. I hope this helps.. :thumbsup:

Big Daddy
08-04-2004, 01:58 PM
Just got a 2001 black Cobra with only 28K Miles all stock. Not sure what kind of mods to do. Would like to hear some suggestions. Also was told not to do too much because the block would not handle it being all aluminum. :)

I don't know about that!! Check my sig and all of that is on an aluminum block!!

What do you want to do with the car?? Drag race, road race, auto x, just cruising around. That would be the first question to answer then you can ask us more specifically our idea's for what you want to do.

Take care and have fun with your new Snake!! :D ;)

solo
08-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the info/// I am looking at having the extra power for road race and the fun of cruising around but still have more bang then normal.

I don't know about that!! Check my sig and all of that is on an aluminum block!!

What do you want to do with the car?? Drag race, road race, auto x, just cruising around. That would be the first question to answer then you can ask us more specifically our idea's for what you want to do.

Take care and have fun with your new Snake!! :D ;)

My Cobra
08-04-2004, 09:10 PM
i have a 99. see my list of mods. i am debating on getting some pullies now, a cat back, chrome cobra R rims, or upgrade sound system even more.

My Cobra
08-04-2004, 09:13 PM
the first thing i did was the shifter. well after the paint. but i had to have a shorter shifter.

cobrabitn
08-04-2004, 09:45 PM
Well, the first thing I would do is get a good aftermarket shifter like Steeda or Pro 5.0.

Then a set of Steeda underdrive pulleys will give you a few more ponies. Add an OR pipe or high flow cats to open up the exhaust and a computer reflash to get you in the 300 rwhp mark, but that is only after you put on a CAI kit on it and some aftermarket mufflers.

If you plan to go to the dragstrip then you will need some lowering springs to reduce wheel hop. (Did I mention I have a set of KB lowering springs for sale just for your type car?....shameless plug)

That will do for starters and it will definitely put a big smile on your face! :thumbsup:

Lumpydogs
08-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Regarding the Aluminum Block...
Many of the ultra high horsepower exotics have aluminum blocks.
:D

solo
08-05-2004, 10:25 AM
HOW MUCH FOR THE SPRINGS:thumbsup:

cobrabitn
08-05-2004, 09:55 PM
I paid right at $300.00 plus shipping for them. I'll let them go for $200.00 and you pay shipping.

2KWhiteSnake
08-06-2004, 11:17 PM
I have an 01' also. See my sig below.

Exhaust, CAI (www.densecharger.com with K@N filter), Steeda Pullies, and of course a Steeda TriAx or Pro 5.0 shifter. The stock shifter is horrible.

Craig

GUMBALL
08-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Solo:

If I may make some suggestions, before (or in conjunction with) boosting engine power, do some chassis stiffening: subrame connectors, lower chassis brace, front and rear strut tower braces, and rear diff brace. The sport springs from KB are a good upgrade, along with camber plates........then pour the power to it ! ! ;)

ausie
08-08-2004, 10:54 AM
Solo,
I can agree with all who stated the aluminum block is not what you should worry about. The aluminum SVT 4.6L block is very solid. The only issues with the '99 and 01' motors to contend with would be connecting rods and the pistons which are too brittle for high PSI forced induction. Somewhere down the line I was told that the maximum boost for the motor cannot exceed 6PSI. Either it is related to the hyperetic pistons, or more likely due to the 10:1 compression. If you are planning on pumping in Nitro Methane, you would definately need a new block built for that application. Ford changed to the cast iron block for the 03 SVT because they can eliminate several steps in the process. The SVT block (99 & 01) uses the same process developed by Teksid in Itally who also makes the aluminum parts for Ferrari. ("Modular Mix-n-Match Part 2, Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords, Vol, 16, No. 3). 6psi would produce close to 450Hp with just about the same torque (425 ft-lbs). If you reduce the compression ratio to 8.5:1 you can safetly manage more boost which would result in more gain. The other limiting factor is the returnless fuel system. One could produce the same amount of HP with new heads, intake and a different fuel delivery set up, but now we are talking huge amount of money.

For low budget, start off with a free flowing Cat-back setup which will reduce some back pressure. From what I can remember, underdrive pullies may cause an overheat issue since you are changing the flow rate on the water pump. For good performance, along with underdrive pullies, a programmable chip and a 160F thermostat works well. (the programmable chip allows for the fan to kick in at 160 instead of 180). As for the final gear in the rear, It would be just as easy if not less complicated to swap out the entire differential for one that is already set up than to swap out the gears in the existing one. Ford offers a race diff with 3.72 ratio complete. There is no need to set back lash or gear mesh. Either way you do it, you still have to drop the entire rear end. That would also be the time to change springs and shocks/struts and possibly the bushings since most of the labor involved would be dropping the IRS and putting it back in.

Sure would be nice to get your hands on an 03/04 SVT since it is already set up with all of the goodies. At this point, I have considered trading mine in for an 04, but there would be no return on investment with my 01. It would be cheaper to mod it than to trade up.

In fear of repeating what was said, under drive pullies, cat back, and of course a good CAI will give you some extra motivation. Just stay clear of the BBK CAI (causes it to run lean, not to mention other issues). Stick with C&L or Steeda since they keep the plubing straight infront of the MAF. I would attempt to put the BBK back in with the MAF rotated 90 degrees, but I blew off the filter when power shifting at 80 mph (2nd to 3rd) and suffered detonation. That was a hairy event worth not repeating.

solo
08-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Ausie Thanks for the info. Sound like I need to start shoping for a 6psi system and other parts as well.

redsnake99
08-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Aluminum blocks are fine if you treat them right. My 99 has 111,000 miles on it. Check the list in the sig.

ausie
08-13-2004, 07:23 AM
The most cost will be adding a supercharger or (turbo). They may cost about the same in the final billing but a supercharger will be easier to install. You have two types of superchargers, displacement or impeller. From what I have read, you do not need an intercooler if you are running 6psi. Regardless of what you decide to install, you will have to get the fuel curve tuned. The average cost will bring you to around $5000.00 (installed and tuned). One benefit with the displacement type is that there will always be boost as compared to the impeller which builds boost with RPM increase. I had considerations for a kenne bell which may be a little better than the eaton SC that is used on the 03/04 cobra. Displacement type SC will replace the entire intake plenum, the impeller (cetrafugal) type will not. Either way you go, using an SC is like driving legally on the streat with a 80hp shot nitrous kit (almost).

Perhaps in the near future a Kenne Bell will find its way on my car, but for now I am still enjoying it as it is. It is only a difference of one second or a little more at the track. For some people that is very important. I have been to a local track just to see what the buzz is all about. I still have yet to run the car down the line.

Start with the simple things first and select your parts for use with forced induction. Actually Cat-backs and other things probably will not matter, but headers will. I would not do long tube headers until you get the SC installed since they are more specific in thier design and application. If you install headers designed for boost, you will suffer a little loss of torque unless you had forced induction.

oops, late for work. Later.....