PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Supercharger upgrade help

Sawpilot
08-10-2004, 04:02 PM
I have a 2001 cobra and would like to move up to a supercharger. looking for the right supercharger upgrade combination. My car is a every day driver. Can I get a 03 eaton unit with an intake or will that not work Also really like Vortech

cobrabitn
08-10-2004, 08:36 PM
I think most 01 owners on this board will tell you to get a Vortech. If you want to keep it very streetable then you may want to consider 6 lbs of boost but no more then 8 lbs. If you are hp hungry and don't care then you can turn it up. Don't forget, with speed you must be able to stop so consider brake upgrades too. :thumbsup:

redsnake99
08-10-2004, 09:24 PM
Here's the URL for the Vortech unit several of us have,
http://www.mustangweekly.com/2001/september/newproducts/np3-09-3rd.asp

Works great, my 99 Cobra has 111,000 miles on it, 80K with the supercharger. I still run 8 lb. of boost because I didn;t want to risk damage throwing more at it than it could handle.

:thumbsup:

tcrews
08-10-2004, 09:39 PM
Vortech makes a VERY nice kit for your car. To "hack" an '03 system on to your car is going to cost you way more than a brand new Vortech kit. There are a few who have done it...everyone of them has said if they had known the issues from the start they wouldn't have done it. One even mentioned it would have been smarter for him to trade his '01 in on an '03 instead of doing what he did. Basically it's a whole lot more than just the Eaton and Intake. Tons of misc. parts, brackets, timing covers, intercooler, sensor wiring, this and that and this and that, that adds up to exceed the price of a new Vortech, even if you can find the basic '03 Eaton and intake on the cheap side.

I have a 2001 cobra and would like to move up to a supercharger. looking for the right supercharger upgrade combination. My car is a every day driver. Can I get a 03 eaton unit with an intake or will that not work Also really like Vortech

tcrews
08-10-2004, 09:42 PM
You'll have a hard time finding a 6 lbs kit as the standard Vortech kit is 8 lbs. 8-10 psi on the street is no problem as long as your car is tuned properly. Going above that I really don't recommend unless you have a built engine. There are a few who have done more than that and have ran for years that way...but they are the exception and not the norm. 8-10 psi on a street car will get you 450-480 rwhp with the standard bolt ons (exhaust, MAF, etc..).

I think most 01 owners on this board will tell you to get a Vortech. If you want to keep it very streetable then you may want to consider 6 lbs of boost but no more then 8 lbs. If you are hp hungry and don't care then you can turn it up. Don't forget, with speed you must be able to stop so consider brake upgrades too. :thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
08-13-2004, 08:40 AM
A careful eye will notice that MOST of the supercharged cobra owners on here, myself included, have forged engines. So, with that said, if you get the blower, save for a rebuild. Some will need it before others, but it'll eventually need it. Dave......... your car is blessed or something. :)

Josh

redsnake99
08-13-2004, 10:45 AM
Josh, I just need enough power to continue beating Tony's Mr. Chrome at the drag strip.

smashedheadcat
08-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Josh, I just need enough power to continue beating Tony's Mr. Chrome at the drag strip.

:rotf: Just enough power to walk on the car next to ya is all you'll ever need. :D

ausie
08-14-2004, 07:14 AM
Kenne bell had a 6psi displacement supercharger for the 01 Cobra. It is similar to the eaton but designed for the 99/01 motor. The complete kit comes with intak, supercharger, pump booster, and fuel injectors, and I assume all the necessary hardware to complete the job. Just a suggestion. I was tempted to get it but just have not due to lack of available funds.

redsnake99
08-14-2004, 10:17 AM
I chose the Vortech because it integrated well with the big aftercooler, an absolute requirement for road racing. Can't have the powerplant overheating.
The 03-04 charger has a little bitty aftercooler.

Kenne Bell?

ausie
08-15-2004, 10:42 AM
http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/cobra99-014v/cobra_99-014v.htmKenne Bell has been around for a while. their twin screw superchargers are a bit different than the eaton roots type or the weiand roots type super chargers. Rouch, Steeda, and Saleen offer supercharger which are basically the eaton brand. Kenne Bell has a good resource and alot of FAQ's about mods and superchargers. It may be worth looking at.

ausie
08-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Actually the Kenne Bell kit is a 5.5lb boost, if you add the cold air kit on top of it and opt for the a larger throttle body you will get about 6.5lb. Above that, you will need to add an intercooler to run 8psi boost or higher, but then you will have to run a higher octane fuel which is not sold at most gas stations. The same kit for the 99/01 Cobra can be used on the 99-01 Mach 1 or mercury marader. The 1700 displacement supercharger will add about 1.7L to your displacement. They do have much larger superchargers available however, you will probably need some new pistons and connecting rods.

ausie
08-17-2004, 06:08 AM
I have been doing alot of research on the Kenne Bell site, they seem to have alot of information. Since I am in the market for a supercharger I will be investigating the other sites such as Vortech, Power dyne, Eaton and probably Holley performance. I will ignore Weiand since they only make them for chevy's but maybe I will visit them anyway. I am still sold on the positive dislplacement supercharger but would like to compare them to other types. Either way it is alot of money to spend. The mechanical part does not seem to be the complicated part to me and if I have to fabricate a special part to compete the job I have a complete machine shop at work to make it. Some kits come with re-flashed processors and all the necessary hardware and such, but tuneing may be the hard part since I am not sure where to have that done.

Besides that, I wanted to wait for the basic warranty to wear out. So far there are no problems other than the typical squeeks from the suspension which will be taken care of after I do the supercharger install. New springs and struts may cure that, along with a sub frame support to reduce body flexing.