PDA

View Full Version : Motor install is half way complete

bluethunder
08-19-2004, 10:37 AM
WEll, this is going to be long, so read on.

It starts out at 4:30pm August 18, 2004. I get home to get ready to get the motor put into the coupe. well, as I am cleaning and straighning up the garage to move around I notice ethe nuts for the Motormounts won't work on the new mounts. Take off to go to Lowe's and find a pair.( I know, insert Joke here) I found the nuts and also found the new Stainless Steel rack the have. I go nuts getting all types of nuts, bolts washers, caps and everthing I could fit into my grubby little hands. Go to check out and the girl inform's me that the stainless stell don't have a price and if I remember what the prices were. ( evil laugh) I told her let me go check( since there was no one in line) and I go back and get doubles of everything I already got and they total price for everyhting out the door was under $22.00!!!!!!! :eek:

Get back home and My neighbor who kindly was going to allow m,e the use of his Motor hoist is not home yet, but the 2 people who were helping me do this are there now. We drink some Corona's and Shiner waiting for my neighbor to get home after (2) 12 packs of beer he finally shows. We get the hoist , drag it back to my house down the street( that was fun) and get to hoking the engine to the hoist.

Now the fun starts, I get it hooked up, and we drop it in pretty quick. Sounds good so far right, Wrong, I forgot to install the new Billet Flywheel, cluth, PP, and Throw out bearing along with the bell housing! we pull it back out and install all of these parts. ( 45 Min.) we get ready to drop the motor back in and notice the ol sending unit is not installed as well. Stop to install that!!!!

Now we get the motor ready to fit into the engine bay and It doesn't want to fit( must be all those cubes) after 20 minutes of fighting with it, we notice the P/S pump and A/C compressor have fallen into the engine bay while we were Fighting with the engine. we get those out of the way and what do ya know it falls right in.............literally! Someone( I'll take the blame) for got to tighten down the new bolts for the Motor mounts and with those not tightned the motor will fall backwards into the car.( trust me we just found out.)

well, It's 9pm and we finally have the motor installed into the car. Now starts KATHY- What do you want for dinner???????? We'll seeing as the only woman who ever cooked food for me since I was 12 is Racheal( Larry's Wife) I am shocked!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: she is :mad: and we decied to take the guys who helped me out to dinner. Well nothing is open except Taco Cabana and all the "race cars" ie: honda's, Acura's and the Lone Dodge Neon were out in full force. ( The mini fit in nicely)
we ate and had some MArgarita's and went home. Day 2 of this install will take place today at 5pm with the help of the same folks!

Isn't hot rodding fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully it will all be worth it :bounce: :) :) :) :) :) :)

BigRedMachine
08-19-2004, 11:07 AM
Good luck. It sounds like anything and everything I've ever tried to do with my mustangs in the past. It always seems like it's an endless process because there's something left out, or didn't install. But then, you had fun didn't ya? :D

Levi
08-19-2004, 12:57 PM
Joey maybe it was the 12-pack that got in the way.

:rotf:

bluethunder
08-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Joey maybe it was the 12-pack that got in the way.

:rotf:

After thinking about it (while drinking the other 12 pack) I figured it was and your right on that one. But tonight it will be complete and hopefully running!

And I think someone's car is going to be on FOX 26 Friday morning and they need a SCMC Magnet on the side of the car.

bluethunder
08-20-2004, 11:45 AM
well day 2 of the motor install went smoothly until the end! Tonight we attached the tranny to the motor and added the new FFRP Aluminum D/S and the drive shaft safety Loop. All was going well, even the beer! we'll we stop for dinner at 8pm and when we come back out into the garage we look at the motor sitting in the engine bay and it looks crooked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It it sitting sideways a bit. So we do some measurements and sure enough, it's sitting almost 3 inches closer to the drivers side of the car in the fron tof the motor and the back of the back of the motor is sitting almost 4 inches closer to the passanger side of the car?

WE, the headers don't want to go back on and the dip stick is different for this block as well. So instead of getting all pisted off, I went and had another couple beers! :rotf: :thumbsup: :bounce: well day three will continue tonight and see if I can figure out the little things and install the rest of the new parts!

03 cobra toy
08-20-2004, 02:19 PM
Take your time :D What's the rush?

bluethunder
08-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Take your time :D What's the rush?
the rush is FFW and Clash of the Titans is just around the corner.

I am taking my time, It's never taken me this long just to swap out a motor!!!!!

It's just weird that is cocked to one side. Oh, well, I get to do some work on it this weekend and hopefully get it running.