PDA

View Full Version : Humming noise when coasting while in gear.

solo
08-23-2004, 05:53 PM
I have this Humming noise when coasting while in gear. Goes away when put into neutral not to sure what this is, the dealer told me was the tires replaced all four tires and had them re-balanced. Has any one heard of this? Oh ya itís a 2001 cobra with no mods done to the rear end.:o

ausie
08-24-2004, 06:37 AM
What gear are you coasting in? I doubt it is the rear since it would probably make noise all the time. The transmission is not whisper quiet and it may just be the gears meshing together. If the noise changes with differences in the road surface it may be the tires. I do know that 1st gear can really whine when down shifting to it at low speed. IF the transmission makes alot of noise then it is possible it is running dry. If you hold the stick does it still make noise? I noticed if I hold the stick shift in position it will whine a bit. It could be that the shifter is out of whack which may cause a fork to be pushed further than it needs to be. I am just a novice so all I can do is offer suggestions of probable cause.

Lumpydogs
08-24-2004, 07:48 AM
Sounds like tranny noise to me. Wait until you replace your stock
shifter with an after market short throw shifter, the noise (hum) will
increase significantly.

p.s. What is everyone using for tranny fluid these days???