PDA

View Full Version : Clutch noise

nckissfan
08-24-2004, 05:30 PM
Hey guys, I had a factory Ford clutch installed in my 97 Cobra back in June. About two weeks later, I noticed the clutch was chirping, like when a cricket rubs its legs together to find his love for the night. I took it back to where I got it installed, but they could not hear anything. They said they thought it was just seating itself. Well, it is still making the noise. If I rest my foot on the clutch pedal, it stops making noise. When I take my foot away, it starts again. The clutch does not feel bad or anything, but I wonder if this chirping will lead to a malfunction someday. I was told that it was the return spring making the noise?? I don't know if that sounds right. Any thoughts on this? If I take it back to the guys who installed it, they can't say for sure if I will have to pay more money. I don't think I should have to, seeing as I tried to get them to clear that up two weeks after installation.

Oh well, comments would be appreciated.

1-QIK-SNK
08-24-2004, 08:17 PM
I have that problem on my 96. I is so slight that I can barely hear it , but I do.
I also had that problem on my old 89 gt. Turns out it was the clutch arm and the little pivot ball thing. I ended up replacing both and put some grease on where the 2 ride together. Solved everything. Did you replace the clutch are and pivot ball? That most likely your problem. If you did not change them during the clutch indtall and you end up taking it back out goto ford and get new ones.
Good luck.
Kerry M.

nckissfan
08-25-2004, 06:33 AM
thanks for your response. I don't know if those two things were replaced when the clutch was changed out. I know they put a new clutch in, but do not know if some of the original parts were used. So, is this something that is not good for the clutch? Or is it just an annoyance to me?

smashedheadcat
08-25-2004, 02:33 PM
Sounds to me like it's the throwout bearing. It's the bearing that mounts to the clutch fork, and slides on the input shaft bearing retainer. The forward side of that bearing rests against the pressure plate of the clutch. Seems to me these days that most these throw out bearings are squeeking all the time. I've heard of them pooping out at less than 300 miles (spec). I've had the best luck with RAM t/o bearings. RAM-501 part no. When changing out a clutch, I always replace the pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and inspect the clutch pivot ball. It should not be scratched up. If it looks okay, just lube it up with some grease.

nckissfan
08-25-2004, 10:47 PM
thanks Josh, I am going to let my buddy look at it, as I think that shop will try to dip into my wallet again. That sounds like a logical thing.

solo
08-26-2004, 04:26 PM
I had the same problem with my 2001 cobra and took it back to the dealer 9 times before they told me it was the polite baring and the throw-out bearing. After words found that this is a know problem with the stock clutch from ford. Just 6 months after replacing the ever thing in the clutch system as ford recommended the problem was back even worse, got a king cobra clutch and have not had the problem for about 1yr. So my recommendations would be to replaces with an after market system and make sure you replaces the polite baring and throw-out baring while your at it.:bounce:

nckissfan
08-26-2004, 06:13 PM
I would do that, if'n I hadn't just replaced it. Maybe in a little while. So, is this fatal for the clutch? That is one thing I am trying to gather.

1-QIK-SNK
08-26-2004, 07:08 PM
I really don't think it will hurt the clutch at all. It will hurt your nervs before it will hurt the clutch.

Abneriel
08-27-2004, 02:56 PM
I've owned four of these things...

it's the throwout bearing...the pilot bearing doesn't squeal, it shudders a little bit when it goes out...the TOB won't kill your clutch until you blow it out, then you need to take care of it...I blew one out last year (it chirped for a while before) when the guy took off the tranny and undid the clutch, the TOB fell out and the bearings rolled all over the floor. the mechanic was amazed because it was all blue from the heat...he complemented the car's power... :D

it is a good idea to have your pilot bearing replaced while they're fixing your TOB just as a matienence precaution.

nckissfan
08-27-2004, 05:56 PM
thanks again, I will not worry as much now, but I will get it fixed sooner than later