PDA

View Full Version : New member, with questions about '98 Cobras

92SHOoff
08-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Hey everyone. My name is Andrew, I'm 20 years old, and live in Southern Maryland. I'm currently an owner of a '92 Taurus SHO and a member of SHOforum.com.

I totally love the '94-'98 Mustang body styles, but I'm really pressed on getting a '98 Cobra. The thing is, I can't decide on whether I want a Typhoon or a Cobra. My family is a Ford family, and I don't care much at all for GM.... but I'd love to get my hands on a Typhoon! The only thing is I'm worried about the reliability of a Typhoon due to it's torque capabilities and the fact that it's AWD. A lot of owners with even stock engines have blown their trannies at least once because of all the stress from the torque on the AWD platform.

So my concern is the reliability on the Cobra drivetrain. If I decide on a Cobra I'd want to make it a high 11/low 12-second 1/4 mile car. Do the trannies hold up pretty well on these cars? If not, what can be done to make it handle to power and torque from an 11-second motor? And is the bottom end of the motor capable of handling a supercharger fairly easily, or will I be crawling underneath the car to change out the crank, rods, and pistons before and/or after the supercharger? And what 1/4 ET could I expect to see on wider street tires and some suspension mods with the following engine mods:

Vortech or Paxton supercharger
Cold Air intake with 80mm (or larger) MAF
Larger throttle body
Full Bassani exhaust (shorties, hi-flow x-pipe, cat-back)
Under-drive pullies
Computer chip
Larger fuel pump and injectors

Would I need to upgrade my ignition when adding a supercharger? And will this get me the ET I'm looking for?? If not, what other mods would you suggest to add to get me there? I know traction isn't easy to come buy on these things... so maybe high 11's is asking too much for street tires. Would some Moser axles and slicks do the trick? I just simply don't want ANY competition on the street where I'm at, and if I can hit 11's on the track with slicks then I'll be happy on the street with street tires.

Sorry for the long post guys, I'm just trying to make a decision here. I love the whole sleeper idea, and reaming WRX's and whatnot in a big SUV has to be GREAT. It's just not all that surprising when you get beat by a modded Cobra. It's like "What else did you expect??" :stupid: But if they're reliable enough, then I think it's completely worth it. I hope to hear some opinions and suggestion from a good few of you guys, so until then take care!

Thanks,
Andrew Grayson

nckissfan
08-25-2004, 10:45 PM
I would go for the Cobra. :thumbdwn: to the Typhoon. I have blue blood.

cobra330
08-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Do the Cobra for sure...more parts, more mods and more fun...and your in Maryland with me....so, if your not apart of the club...please join us and go get that Cobra!!! :thumbsup: :bounce: