PDA

View Full Version : Tone & Wilson's car

johnbasf
08-26-2004, 01:54 PM
http://www.on-trackperformance.com/aiindex.htm Tone & Wilson's new car.

This thread started on http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=121126 There are pics of the finished product in this thread.

Mark's comments:

I was wondering how long it was going to take before the cat came out of the bag. Yes, I have a new race car. We (Brian Tone, myself and our third member who wishes to remain nameless) have spent the last 10 months building an 04 body in white race car. The AI field is getting progressively faster and faster and there were things that needed to be done to the 93R if we were going to stay a front running which I wasn't willing to do to the car so the decision was made to semi retire it. It was a tough choice but to stay in the front it was really the only prudent choice there was.

Our main focus on the new car was to build a safe, stiff foundation and also showcase what a well set-up IRS equipped Mustang can do. Yep, it's IRS equipped. We also wanted to build a car right to the limit of the current AI rules. Most people think we are crazy (well the one's that know us know we ARE crazy) but we believe that properly set-up there should be nothing that can touch us. Because we were determined to make the IRS work we looked at what the aftermarket had to offer and to be honest we really only had one choice, Kenny Brown. It seemed that everyone else offers just harder bushings but really didn't seem to know much else about the IRS. Now I know that Kenny Brown has taken A LOT of bashing in the past about their products but after working with them for 10 months I can definitely say they have their sh*t together.

Our car is equipped with the full rear IRS system consisting of the KB upper and lower control arms, inner tie rod kit, KW dampners and coil over kit as well as the full front AGS system which consists of the K-Member, A-Arms, KW struts and coil over kit. Quality of all the parts was definitely top notch and everything but the K-member fit perfectly. The K-member fitment issue was our problem because we were fitting a pushrod engine in a 04 body which requires a longer K-member. We mistakenly asked for a 79-93 k-member which wouldn't bolt right up. They now have a k-member which will allow you to bolt in a pushrod motor into a 96+ Mustang due to our efforts, pretty cool!

How does the car handle? According to Brian it is absolutely incredible. Turn in is absolutely amazing and transitions fell awesome. Out of the box our car qualified 4th out of 23 cars on Sunday (but we were DQ'ed being 7 hp over our hp limit. more on that later) For a car that had not turned a lap until last weekend I'll have to say that we were definitely impressed!
At MO there wasn't a car that we couldn't keep up with from the entry of Madness to the last corner coming onto the front straight. Best part is there is still lots of tuning to do and we are boldly predicting big things for this car in the future.

After qualifying 8th on saturday (out of 24 AI cars) with less than 1 hour on the car we were mistakenly gridded in the back because there were two # 29's. Unfortunately we didn't realize it until the cars pulled out onto the track because of the way the cars were gridded. Needless to say Brian made the best of things and fought his way back up to 8th place within the 12 laps that the race lasted. We were happy to say the least.

We then went to stiffer springs (Kenny recommended the lighter springs to get a feel for the car) for Sunday's qualifying and took 2 seconds off our lap time. We were asked to report to the Dyno (they were dynoing most AI cars that weekend) and we turned out to be 7 hp over our limit. We had 324 hp for a 3011 car (with driver) with driver. Strange thing is that we dynoed earlier in the week at 302 hp and were quite disappointed with the results. We are guessing that the difference is what happens when the entire driveline breaks in. So our quailifying was disqualified and we turned the distributor and were down to 299 and were ready to race. We were once again gridded in the back and ended up with a dead battery on the grid. We ran down and bush started the car but it lacked power. We brough the car in and found out that the alternator fuse had blown causing the electronics to run off our battery and ended up draining the battery. Overall we were extremely pleased with the weekend despite the setback and look forward to tuning the car and running at Beaverun in a few weeks.

b_tone
08-26-2004, 04:49 PM
41 views and not a single reply.....

Levi
08-26-2004, 05:10 PM
41 views and not a single reply.....

Wrong answer,,,,,,, Should have said,

Thank's for the write up and good luck with the track car. :thumbsup:

johnbasf
08-26-2004, 07:21 PM
Are there any plans for a splitter or rear wing? Awesome job on the car!!! Get a pic of the car on here guys. :thumbsup:

mwilson7
08-26-2004, 07:48 PM
In true AI fashion we will have a rather large wing and front splitter planned. Car actually isn't finished yet but we wanted to get it out for the Mid Ohio event. We kind of slapped it together the night before and hoped for the best! :D

Who said IRS cars can't handle?

http://www.dariusrudis.com/mustang/2004_08_NASA_Mid_Ohio/images/IMG_3717.JPG

http://www.dariusrudis.com/mustang/2004_08_NASA_Mid_Ohio/images/IMG_3713.JPG

b_tone
08-26-2004, 07:49 PM
Are there any plans for a splitter or rear wing? Awesome job on the car!!! Get a pic of the car on here guys. :thumbsup:

The biggest wing you have ever seen and a massive splitter will both be on the car before the start of next year!!!!

EDIT: BASTARD!!! you beat me to it

johnbasf
08-26-2004, 10:01 PM
Are those little mirrors on the side???

mwilson7
08-26-2004, 10:27 PM
Are those little mirrors on the side???

Why yes they are little mirrors ;)

SIUNARA
08-27-2004, 01:14 AM
It's about time we got to see that thing.

So will both of you take turns racing the car or is Tone the only driver? Plans for next year...i.e...Ohio/Indiana AI only or plans to mix in a few east and southeast races?

Can't wait to see the car up close. Good luck sorting it out. :)

mwilson7
08-27-2004, 09:29 AM
It's about time we got to see that thing.

So will both of you take turns racing the car or is Tone the only driver? Plans for next year...i.e...Ohio/Indiana AI only or plans to mix in a few east and southeast races?

Can't wait to see the car up close. Good luck sorting it out. :)

We are going to both race the car. As far as next year goes who knows. Considering how exhausting the OH/IN schedule is (9 weekends this year) it's hard to find time to run in other Regions although I do enjoy seeing many of the racers from the Virginia Region when we have the multi Region events.

We'll have to see how the schedule plays out.

svt_coupe
08-27-2004, 11:14 AM
That's a hell of a ride boys. I'm in awe. Colletti's daughter is proud, I'm sure.

So did it suck disassembling the entire car JUST for paint? I mean, don't get me wrong. The paint is awesome. But it must have been kinda weird to build it up just to disassemble it...

Nice work. Very nice work.

mwilson7
08-27-2004, 11:18 AM
That's a hell of a ride boys. I'm in awe. Colletti's daughter is proud, I'm sure.

So did it suck disassembling the entire car JUST for paint? I mean, don't get me wrong. The paint is awesome. But it must have been kinda weird to build it up just to disassemble it...

Nice work. Very nice work.

It was a royal pain in the ass when we were doing it but now that it's done I'm VERY glad we did it that way. The finished product turned out much nicer.

Thanks for the kudos!

racercosmo
08-27-2004, 11:21 AM
Since you used and engine plate, why did you need a different k member? Also, wouldn't a k member for a 94-95 work?
Are you bringing that car to Vegas? To Race?? Tone owes me a beer, so I'll see you out there.

mwilson7
08-27-2004, 12:05 PM
Since you used and engine plate, why did you need a different k member? Also, wouldn't a k member for a 94-95 work?
Are you bringing that car to Vegas? To Race?? Tone owes me a beer, so I'll see you out there.

We originally weren't going to use an engine plate but the engine placement required it due to the setback.

Not sure about bringing the car out to Vegas yet. We'll definitely be there but I'm not sure about the car yet.

mwilson7
08-31-2004, 10:11 AM
I've added some detailed pictures of the almost finished product. Please note that ride height is not properly set yet.

http://on-trackperformance.com/American%20iron%20build%20up%20page%206.htm

johnbasf
08-31-2004, 11:55 AM
Thanks Mark. :thumbsup:

kevin
08-31-2004, 05:22 PM
really nice you guys. sure wish it had been ready for gingerman in july.

b_tone
08-31-2004, 06:06 PM
wish it had been ready for gingerman in july.

So do we, so do we.....on a positive note we will be kickin ass and taking names (lap time wise) from all the scmc members at the September event :D

Mystic_Cobra
09-01-2004, 01:09 AM
I've heard enough crap about KB (knowing it wasn't true) that I'm glad to see you guys run a KB car with IRS. Now we'll have proof for the naysayers. Car looks great, can't wait to see it in action!!

svt_coupe
09-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Dude(s) - you know I'm not knocking on you. The car is beautiful.

BUT... with a bar this close to you, get rid of the sponge padding and get some SFI rated stuff.
http://on-trackperformance.com/DSCN2251.JPG

b_tone
09-01-2004, 01:28 PM

BUT... with a bar this close to you, get rid of the sponge padding and get some SFI rated stuff.

Bryan, actually that bar is quite a ways from the driver.

johnbasf
09-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Brian, do you think a garage mechanic could make the engine plates?

b_tone
09-01-2004, 03:59 PM
Brian, do you think a garage mechanic could make the engine plates?

it depends on how you do it. Ours is behind the timing cover so it has to have water passages involved....it may be tricky but I don't see why not.

are you going to start making engine plates?

mwilson7
09-01-2004, 04:02 PM
They couldn't make it much worse than the one we received!!! Just make sure the holes line up.....that would be nice.... :)

I don't know how big the market is though as there seems to be quite a few out there already.

Mark

mwilson7
09-01-2004, 04:03 PM

Shugg,

Brian's right - It is quite far away from the driver. Additionally we didn't want to have to replace it after 2 years (bad SFI joke). Every other pad is SFI rated except that one.

johnbasf
09-01-2004, 06:28 PM
it depends on how you do it. Ours is behind the timing cover so it has to have water passages involved....it may be tricky but I don't see why not.

are you going to start making engine plates?

I was asking because the new owner of #42 may want to use one. ;)

Are they just a steel plate??

FCorkran
09-02-2004, 01:14 AM
I was asking because the new owner of #42 may want to use one. ;)

Are they just a steel plate??That would be me. I looked at the Coleman Al plate but it was too narrow. Found a nicely priced Al plate from Chassisworks, but it occurs to me that a 1/4" has to be taken off the engine side of the front cover to maintain pulley and front pan seal alignment. This means precision cut/weld Al (as is visible in the pics), plus I need to check if doing this would eliminate the ability to use the mechanical fuel pump. I did see one on ebay that appears to mount between the cover and water pump, but that seems like a recipe for destroying front covers - not to mention pushing the alternator/PS pump forward to clear the plate.

"Garage mechanic" means hand drill, abrasive cutoff wheel, angle grinder, sawzall or chop saw, MIG welder (but not Al), no machine shop.

b_tone
09-02-2004, 10:21 AM
That would be me. I looked at the Coleman Al plate but it was too narrow. Found a nicely priced Al plate from Chassisworks, but it occurs to me that a 1/4" has to be taken off the engine side of the front cover to maintain pulley and front pan seal alignment. This means precision cut/weld Al (as is visible in the pics), plus I need to check if doing this would eliminate the ability to use the mechanical fuel pump. I did see one on ebay that appears to mount between the cover and water pump, but that seems like a recipe for destroying front covers - not to mention pushing the alternator/PS pump forward to clear the plate.

"Garage mechanic" means hand drill, abrasive cutoff wheel, angle grinder, sawzall or chop saw, MIG welder (but not Al), no machine shop.

Under those conditions the answer is no.

Take it to a machine shop that builds drag cars, they will be able to do it for you.

mwilson7
09-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Are you going to use a pushrod or mod motor?

FCorkran
09-02-2004, 12:18 PM
Are you going to use a pushrod or mod motor?
Pushrod, that's why I can't use the existing mounts on the MM Kmember.

mwilson7
09-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Pushrod, that's why I can't use the existing mounts on the MM Kmember.

Griggs does offer a modified front timing cover.

With very little modifications the plate that fits in front of the timing cover could fit behind. We also didn't like sandwiching the engine plate between the timing cover and waterpump.

FCorkran
09-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Griggs does offer a modified front timing cover.

With very little modifications the plate that fits in front of the timing cover could fit behind. We also didn't like sandwiching the engine plate between the timing cover and waterpump.
Thanks, I'll have to check that out. Did you use the Griggs cover or modify one yourselves?

It was mentioned on another site you also used a mid-plate. Is there some advantage to this in a non-tube frame car over a front plate with tranny crossmember mount?

mwilson7
09-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Thanks, I'll have to check that out. Did you use the Griggs cover or modify one yourselves?

It was mentioned on another site you also used a mid-plate. Is there some advantage to this in a non-tube frame car over a front plate with tranny crossmember mount?

We used the Griggs cover because we thought it would be easier than figuring it out ourselves. I will warn you that there is CONSIDERABLE modifications to make the system work as it was delivered.

We ran the mid plate because we spoke to a few people about the pros and cons and it appeared that there were more pro's in the end. Grigg's has those as well. They would have pretty much bolted right in (once you buy the bolts seperately) after you welded the body side brackets to the frame. We did modify ours because of our engine setback though and also took about 1/3 of the weight out of them.