PDA

View Full Version : Finally turned it up a notch

smashedheadcat
08-27-2004, 11:58 PM
For over a year now, the 97 had been laying low. Putting down a weak 422rwhp. It just so happened that I got into an encouter with my buddy's '03 cobra. Lets just say the results didn't go in my favor. It was a very close race, but the black beast just couldn't pull away. So with this, came my first loss. I've been kind of down about it for a few days, but then I decided to remedy this. I added the 3.33 pulley, new belt, new plugs, fresh fuel filter, switched to a warlboro intank pump and hit the road. I found my way to Haywood custom speed shop in Raliegh. After 2 1/2 hours on the dyno, and many runs later, I ended up with 511 rwhp 398 rwtq at 6700 rpms with 18 degrees total timing. A/F hung in the 11's dipping into the 10's at one point. Randy was surprised to see my car pull 500+ rwhp through borla side exhaust. He guesstimates an additional 30-40 rwhp with a catback swap only. Next on the list is a KB boost-a-spark, TR6 plugs, 3.12 pulley and a 112' gatorback belt. There is belt dust and spark blow out (which made us shut it down at 6700rpms). There is plenty of power left on the table. The true blue performance engine held up through the thrashing without a hiccup. Video coming soon.

Josh

tcrews
08-28-2004, 10:07 AM
Congrats!! I know you're thrilled with the extra power and that the engine is still holding!!!

smashedheadcat
08-28-2004, 04:13 PM
Congrats!! I know you're thrilled with the extra power and that the engine is still holding!!!

It's a lot of fun. The engine took a beating on the dyno. :)

tcrews
08-28-2004, 04:16 PM
I plan to upgrade my injectors (60 lbs) sometime this year and ditch the FMU. I'll need a retune at that point. I hope to hit over 600rwhp with just more fuel and a little more rpm.

smashedheadcat
08-28-2004, 05:03 PM
The car is feeling much better now. The power comes on smoother (Randy did a lot of partial throttle tuning), and it pulls harder up high obviously. I gained a touch of power across the board with most of it above 5000 rpms. The funny thing is, is the car actually hooks better now. Guess the tires keep their bite with the smoother power?? Who knows. It's a ton of fun that's for sure. Oh, we actually unhooked the FMU. I know you said to keep it on, but we had plenty of room left fuel system wise without it. Randy said I can hook it back up if I want to, which will bring the a/f pig rich up high for added safety.

smashedheadcat
08-28-2004, 05:07 PM
I plan to upgrade my injectors (60 lbs) sometime this year and ditch the FMU. I'll need a retune at that point. I hope to hit over 600rwhp with just more fuel and a little more rpm.

The gears in my head are turning...... I'll buy those 55's off of ya when you're ready to upgrade. That'll help soak up the cost for 60's. Or, should I just buy the 60's and be done with it? I'm going to switch to a 3.12 and scrap the side exhaust. This should give me an increase. Basically, i'm trying to give it more in the mid-range and not so much up high. Yeah, peak numbers are nice, but I'd like to get 500 rwhp at 6000 rpms and not 6700 rpms.

tcrews
08-28-2004, 05:16 PM
The gears in my head are turning...... I'll buy those 55's off of ya when you're ready to upgrade. That'll help soak up the cost for 60's. Or, should I just buy the 60's and be done with it? I'm going to switch to a 3.12 and scrap the side exhaust. This should give me an increase. Basically, i'm trying to give it more in the mid-range and not so much up high. Yeah, peak numbers are nice, but I'd like to get 500 rwhp at 6000 rpms and not 6700 rpms.

No 55's here...I'm still on the 42s. 60 & 55 are within $50 of each other so just go for 60's.
I'm at 520 rwhp @ 6,000 right now....I'd like a little more low-mid myself but I don't mind if more comes on up high too :) I should do longtubes but I'm probably going to just go to the Bassani mid-lengths on this car. I'm getting some BBK LT's for the '98 though....It'll probably stay NA so the more NA I can do there the better.

With the 3.12" and the GT impeller you are going to be at the max efficiency range of the S-trim...and probably pushing beyond the abilities of the Vortech Aftercooler. Those are really only good up to about 14-15 psi and then they become a restriction. Might want to consider upgrading to the Vortech T-trim. It's about $500 (upgrade) or so from what I'm hearing, uses the same size housing just a more capable impeller. Will be able to move more air than the S-trim.

smashedheadcat
08-28-2004, 05:23 PM
No 55's here...I'm still on the 42s. 60 & 55 are within $50 of each other so just go for 60's.
I'm at 520 rwhp @ 6,000 right now....I'd like a little more low-mid myself but I don't mind if more comes on up high too :) I should do longtubes but I'm probably going to just go to the Bassani mid-lengths on this car. I'm getting some BBK LT's for the '98 though....It'll probably stay NA so the more NA I can do there the better.

With the 3.12" and the GT impeller you are going to be at the max efficiency range of the S-trim...and probably pushing beyond the abilities of the Vortech Aftercooler. Those are really only good up to about 14-15 psi and then they become a restriction. Might want to consider upgrading to the Vortech T-trim. It's about $500 (upgrade) or so from what I'm hearing, uses the same size housing just a more capable impeller. Will be able to move more air than the S-trim.

I'm only at 11psi @6700 now. I think maybe 12psi at 7000 or so. The 3.12 will give me 14-15 I'm thinking. I need to back off. Once I max out the aftercooler, I don't know what I'll do. I should leave it where it is, but that dang Randy gets me going...... "30-40 rwhp with a catback swap, the 3.12 and smaller belt with tr6 plugs, get rid of the belt slip, and we'll get this thing knocking on 600 rwhp with a iced down engine." I think to myself........ 600 to the wheels............ What would I do with 600 to the wheels?? :doubt:

smashedheadcat
08-28-2004, 05:30 PM
I forgot you only had 42's. I thought for some reason you maxed out the 55's. Offical numbers: 511.42 rwhp, 398.63 rwtq

redsnake99
08-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Josh, Randy did the tune on my 99 2 1/2 years ago. I'm still running that samw program, and I ain't changing it for anything. Like my golf game, the moment I start messing with it and try to make it better, it gets worse.

Glad you'r happy with his work. I saw him Thursday and he provided two dyno sessions as door prizes at our Parkway Ford show today.

We had 92 beautiful cars.....maybe on or two were not beautiful, but a full array of cars from 1940 Ford to the newest of the new.

:thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
08-29-2004, 12:05 PM
Josh, Randy did the tune on my 99 2 1/2 years ago. I'm still running that samw program, and I ain't changing it for anything. Like my golf game, the moment I start messing with it and try to make it better, it gets worse.

Glad you'r happy with his work. I saw him Thursday and he provided two dyno sessions as door prizes at our Parkway Ford show today.

We had 92 beautiful cars.....maybe on or two were not beautiful, but a full array of cars from 1940 Ford to the newest of the new.

:thumbsup:

He is good that's for sure. I just wish I was still on my stock shortblock. Mine lasted 2 or 3 days after the blower. :( I didn't have much faith in this engine either. But it took a thumping friday and was just begging for more. I did run the '03 that beat me last night from a 50mph roll....... I got him, but it was very interesting. I pull up high, and he catches me when I shift..... then I squeak back out in front. The faster we go, the longer I stay in the powerband (6000-7000). I still need more though.

Big Daddy
08-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Sounds like you've really caught the bug now!! It's fun to have the wick turned up isn't it!! I'm glad to hear the engine is taking a beating and holding together! Mine's been great, 17,000 + miles and no problems with it! Have fun but BE CAREFUL! ;) :D :thumbsup:

smashedheadcat
08-29-2004, 02:55 PM
Sounds like you've really caught the bug now!! It's fun to have the wick turned up isn't it!! I'm glad to hear the engine is taking a beating and holding together! Mine's been great, 17,000 + miles and no problems with it! Have fun but BE CAREFUL! ;) :D :thumbsup:

I'm careful with it. I'm switching pullies, but just for mid range purposes. You guys know what i'm talking about...... these things take forever to build boost. Hopefully the 4.30's will remedy that. :) With that being said..... here's my vid.

Right Click, Save As (http://www.stangsource.com/files.cgi?download=32)

BadMoFo
08-30-2004, 03:30 PM
holy cow I need more power, or more money or something. I am at that stage where I am ready to ditch this cobra for an upgrade to an 03/04 but I know that I wouldnt be able to stay in my current payment range. I wish I could find that money tree. I worry that if I add power to this one that she will die on me and this is my daily driver but its hard not to want to with people like Josh killing everyone left and right. That and Jack got my favorite color in and 03 model, lucky bastard.

smashedheadcat
08-30-2004, 04:26 PM
holy cow I need more power, or more money or something. I am at that stage where I am ready to ditch this cobra for an upgrade to an 03/04 but I know that I wouldnt be able to stay in my current payment range. I wish I could find that money tree. I worry that if I add power to this one that she will die on me and this is my daily driver but its hard not to want to with people like Josh killing everyone left and right. That and Jack got my favorite color in and 03 model, lucky bastard.

Yeah, Jack beat me, so I had to up the power. :) The rematch didn't have the same outcome. ;)

BadMoFo
08-31-2004, 08:19 AM
saw you coming off base yesterday, car sounds good. so what does jack have done to his? I am looking to possibly trade in mine this weekend but it depends if I get a reply from a dealership in sc. I figureed there would be alot more 03/04 left on the lot with the 05 coming out but its hard to find them and most dealerships are still trying to get every penny out of you. most likely wont happen but a guy can dream right?

smashedheadcat
08-31-2004, 09:49 PM
Jack's got full exhaust, cold air, pulley, idlers, tune, shifter, nitto's.... ya know, the usual bolt ons. They are damn quick. That's for sure.

Josh

White98SVT
09-22-2004, 09:47 PM
Awesome numbers Josh! :thumbsup:

Meanwhile I'm still struggling to mod my snake.