PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coat Versus Repainting

John Chingasos
09-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Hey Guys,

I am trying to restore my original 93 Cobra Mags and I was talking to this guy who powder coats and was telling me he could powdercoat them to a like original color and it is cheaper than having them repainted. I dont know what to do??? Please any comments would be appreciated

03 cobra toy
09-01-2004, 03:37 PM
Hey Guys,

I am trying to restore my original 93 Cobra Mags and I was talking to this guy who powder coats and was telling me he could powdercoat them to a like original color and it is cheaper than having them repainted. I dont know what to do??? Please any comments would be appreciated

DO IT ! :D

97CasperCobra
09-01-2004, 03:39 PM
It could be cheaper and hold up more in the long run John. Who is this guy and what does he charge?? Say....for rims or a Cobra intake??? I need to get my stock '97 rims restored.....thought about running on those for the street. :thumbsup:

93KingCobra
09-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Just don't powdercoat the center cap..

Hazman
09-01-2004, 06:30 PM
You need to be very careful about powder coating wheels. Steel is OK but when you do alloys or aluminum strange things can happen. The heating process can change the crystalline structure of the metal making it more brittle.

Here is a thread from Z06Vette.com with pictures of his rims that came apart as he entered a turn at over 100MPH! :eek:
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54978&highlight=powder+coating+wheels

Firme
09-01-2004, 06:35 PM
You need to be very careful about powder coating wheels. Steel is OK but when you do alloys or aluminum strange things can happen. The heating process can change the crystalline structure of the metal making it more brittle.

Here is a thread from Z06Vette.com with pictures of his rims that came apart as he entered a turn at over 100MPH! :eek:
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54978&highlight=powder+coating+wheels

Hey Rick, I guess your not putting power coated wheels on your (wife's) Z06 for TWS, ha.. :rotf:

:D

97CasperCobra
09-01-2004, 06:39 PM
I remember seeing the pics from the Z06 the week after he had the accident up at TWS. Which makes me want to get a set of track tires REAL bad for my stock rims. :(