PDA

View Full Version : ready to spend $

sssvtcobra
09-01-2004, 03:28 PM
I know this question has been beaten to death. But I didn't really find the answer to my question. I have the money to buy my exhaust set up. So here is the question, which one of these two will give me the most power and torque? BBk longtubes, Dr. gas o/r x, manganflow catback. Or a full S.S. Bassani system from the mid-length headers to the catback. I have heard both systems, and like the sounds of both. But looking for the power.

My car is a '01 cobra. I have in my garage: Steeda pullies, Densecharger cai, pro 5.0 w/mgw handle, just need to get gears now. The car is my daily driver but is driven like it was meant to be.

Thank you
Jeff
anxiously waiting for some new power and sound!!!!

tcrews
09-01-2004, 08:41 PM
That's hard to say....there's not a lot of data on the Bassani mid-lengths out there yet....

The BBK LT's make good power, nothing outstanding but they do bump up the low-end and mid-range quite a bit. My shorty headers made "more" power than BBK LT's but that was only at peak. Everywhere else under the curve the longtubes out performed. The Mid-lengths are supposed to be closer to longtubes in performance but again there's no real data out there yet.

Me personally...I love the sound of Bassani (it's on both of my Cobra's), so I'd go full on Bassani mid-lengths, off-road x and cat-back.

sssvtcobra
09-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the reply!!

I too like the sound of the bassani system (Alot!!) Their both so close in price it wouldn't matter which one I decided to go with. But the longtubes do offer what I am looking for, and that is the lower-mid range power increase. Have you ever heard BBk L/T's w/ bassani o/r x, and catback? I wonder how that would sound or perform. I tried going to mustang exhaust.com but didn't find any sound clips of that.

Thanks Tom
Jeff

tcrews
09-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Most of your sound tone is going to come from the mid pipe and the catback/mufflers. The headers will affect it some but not that much. The BBK LT's with bassani the rest of the way should sound pretty awesome.

sssvtcobra
09-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Sorry I have one more question. Is the power difference between the BBK L/T's and the bassani mid-lengths going to be that big of a difference? Whether or not I buy the BBk L/T's or the bassani mid-lengths?

Thanks
Jeff

tcrews
09-05-2004, 05:44 PM
No, there will not be a huge difference. What the difference will be I'm not sure but I doubt you'll see more than a 5-10 rwhp difference at any rpm.
Heck, you might not see any at all. There are not a lot of people running the Bassani mid-lengths because they've only been available for a short time.

sssvtcobra
09-08-2004, 04:35 AM
Thank you, Tom

I just purchased the full bassani system, (headers, o/r X-pip, and catback). Thanks for your suggestions. I am getting everything installed and possibly gears on Thursday. :D

They said if I do get the gears installed that it would be better to do a predator chip with it tuned in for MIL's and speedo adjustment and at the same time do a tune on the car. Should I do it that way or should I just do the MIL's and the speedcal? I have heard several times on this site that a chip isn't worth it until I have a power adder. Could you please let me know what you think.

Thanks
Jeff

tcrews
09-08-2004, 06:30 AM
It might be worthwhile to do a chip since you can correct the speedometer as well as make sure your A/F ratios are still good. You'll spend at least $100 for a speedcal and around $60 for the mil-elimins.... so for a few more $$ you could cover both of those and possibly gain a few HP.

Chips really don't do a lot on a N/A car until you've got a lot of mods....but headers have been known to throw the A/F off a little so you can correct for this, the gear ratio and the off-road exhaust.

sssvtcobra
09-08-2004, 07:08 AM
Sounds good.

Should I also try to have my Densecharger cai, and steeda u/d pullies installed by then? That way when they do the tune for the chip I'll have all my bolt on's already on.

Whats next after all those? I know going to a larger throttle body is a waste of money. I was thinking cams would be the next mod, for staying n/a. But would I have to change them when I decide to get a supercharger? If so I'll just wait until then.

Thanks
You sure know these cars, along with everybody else in here.

ausie
09-08-2004, 07:11 AM
For the money, changing the exhaust beyond the cat back will not give you the gains that you would expect. The 01's are basically maxed out and there is not much to gain from long tube headers or even replacing the h pipe. I am sure there is some gain but the numbers may not add up to the advertised figures. I added the SLP loudmouth cat back and did not notice any difference in torque or HP. The SLP has no mufflers but baffle-less resonators instead. Since my motor is not pushing over 400 Hp I would not get any benefit from changing the rest of the exhaust. I have been eyeing up some displacement superchargers which seems to be the route I will be taking.

You may want to start by doing some digging into some sites that investigate all mods (most any way) . Kenne Bell has done research on many mods which is on there web site under the technical section. At first I thought it may be biased since they sell superchargers, but the information provided seemed factual.

Even when some numbers are displayed showing a difference over stock, check out what motor is being used for the comparison. I have seen some sites that lists the motor is either a crate motor or some other huge engine that already has moster horsepower to begin with.

I was always interested in long tubes, but from what I read you will loose a little low end torque in a stock motor. You may think that the factory headers are restrictive, in actuallity, they are far less restrictive than you think and work just fine for low horsepower applications (under 400hp). I have done alot of digging and decided the amount of gain if any is not worth the money. I am no expert so this is just my 2 cents worth.

Let me know how the Bassani setup works for you. I bet your 01 will sound sweet! I hope you get the gains that you expect. At least you are optimizing for future upgrades.

tcrews
09-08-2004, 07:14 AM
Yes, do the others (CAI, Pulleys) before tuning....that way you can be sure all your mods are working well together.

Cams....I wouldn't even think about doing those until you are doing some major engine modifications. Cams would be great to do on a rebuild with forged components and either a stroker, big-bore or stroker+big-bore combo. Not needed for a supercharger at all....

Go with the bolt-ons you have.....then spend time learning the car and enjoy it. Later......when you have money set aside for a rebuild (around $3000) then you can add a supercharger. More 'enhanced' rebuilds will cost more (heads, cams, stroker, big-bore, etc..).

tcrews
09-08-2004, 07:20 AM
For the money, changing the exhaust beyond the cat back will not give you the gains that you would expect. The 01's are basically maxed out and there is not much to gain from long tube headers or even replacing the h pipe.

I was always interested in long tubes, but from what I read you will loose a little low end torque in a stock motor. You may think that the factory headers are restrictive, in actuallity, they are far less restrictive than you think and work just fine for low horsepower applications (under 400hp). I have done alot of digging and decided the amount of gain if any is not worth the money. I am no expert so this is just my 2 cents worth.
You'll get more gains changing out the mid-pipe on the '99-'01 Cobras then you will changing out the cat-back. Headers will also give boost in performance even on a N/A car as the stock manifolds are very restrictive.
The biggest misconception I keep seeing out there is that you'll lose some low-end torque with longtubes. That is completely backwards as you'll GAIN low-end torque (and mid-range torque) with longtubes, you just won't gain a lot of peak power. Now a boosted engine will show greater gains but even NA cars are showing some nice low-mid range gains.

venomnous99
09-08-2004, 08:47 AM
I am in somewhat the same dilemna as him. Although, I already have 2 1/2' OR X-Pipe. But the question is, is there really a big difference in the cat back systems. I mean between lets say Bassini, Borla, Magnaflow, Dynomax, Or Flowmaster (besides the tone and the price). Also, in the long run, actually quite soon hopefully, I plan on supercharging the car. Would there be a difference between 2 1/2" and 3".

tcrews
09-08-2004, 09:51 AM
There isn't going to be a huge difference between the different brands, though Flowmasters are some of the worst flowing mufflers out there. Since you have an offroad X pipe I highly recommend a straight through muffler of some type (bassani, magnaflow, borla)....

3" pipes will never be of any need until you are in excess of 700rwhp.

sssvtcobra
09-08-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks everybody for your feedback. This club is great!! :thumbsup:

I wasn't really expecting a whole lot of increase in horsepower or torque, but I was thinking along the lines of around 10 for each. I was hoping with my bolt on's I would reach around 300rwhp and 300rwtq. That would be an increase of about 30 I believe.

When I do s/c I think I will do the forged internals and rebuild then. But I don't see a s/c to soon in my future. :( I think after these bolt on's I will then work on my suspension. I already have m/m fr and rr coilovers w/ bilsteins. M/M caster/camber plates.

I'll let you guys know how everything works and what the increase is.

Jeff

venomnous99
09-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Thank you Tom for the info. I truly appreciate the immediate feedback. Also glad the flows don't flow, don't know if I could stand the drone.

casey99COBRA
09-08-2004, 08:35 PM
hey buddy.. i'm running the magnaflow cat-back. it screams bro! was very easy to install as well.

sssvtcobra
09-09-2004, 07:14 AM
If I end up having them do a tune with all my bolt on's. Where should the A/F ratio be? :confused: Where is a safe mark to prevent detonation? The highest octane gas that I can find here is 91 sometimes 92 (chevron).

Thanks for your replies.
Jeff

tcrews
09-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Naturally Aspirated you want your A/F to be about 13.0:1 to 13.2:1

ausie
09-10-2004, 07:06 AM
I have heard both stories on the long tube headers. I also know that the gains will not be significant as compated to the cost of the items. I only installed a cat-back for sound and not for any gains (I like to be able to hear it as compared to the stock exhaust which was okay but not loud enough.) The mufflers (if you want to call them that) are a straight through design with no baffled chambers similar to the borla stingers.

I could only wish to replace the cats with a high flow x pipe but deleting the cats where I live is not legal. I am sure I could change them to a catted x-pipe as long as no one reports me when I get inspected.

The problem is (in my opinion) with a N/A motor, it is difficult to obtain higher horse power (goal would be over 400) at a lower cost than supercharging. A 6 psi displacement supercharger would produce 422hp on an 01 Cobra which is what I heard would be the maximum boost you should run having the stock pistons. The same goes for the Mach 1 and merc marrader.

It would probably cost more money to have the heads replaced or ported than to add a supercharger.

If anyone has any feed back on supercharging the 01 let me know. I am planning on getting a kenne bell 1.7L which has lower boost than most centrifugal types.

sssvtcobra
09-17-2004, 01:19 PM
Well I got my exhaust put on yesterday. I didn't have them do the headers. :( Uncle Sam said that I didn't punch the buttons right on calculator, so I owe him more money he says. But the sound with the o/r x-pipe and catback (baffles removed) sounds awesome. People turn and look for my car know when I go driving by. :bounce:

Next up is the headers, u/d pullies, and t/a.

Thanks everybody