PDA

View Full Version : service light (information center light)

casey99COBRA
09-09-2004, 09:51 PM
I have a problem with my 99 cobra svt. Sometimes when i hit the gas i lose all power, as in the car will not even go, though the pedal is pushed in (acts as if it got flooded, which is not possible "fuel injection"). When this happens i also get a green service light (information center light or whatever you want to call it) it looks like a turbo charger, some kind of air flow light im assuming. But this has happened quite a few times now and is starting to piss me off. This just happened to start when i washed the engine up (which was about 5 days ago). So i was thinking maybe water got in the air flow, but it seems to be fine. Anyways i do not have the service manual and can't find anything on the internet. If someone can tell me what that light is and means, or what could be the problem leave a reply please.

cobrabitn
09-09-2004, 10:27 PM
Casey,

What you are experiencing is "traction control". Simply turn your traction control button to the "off" position by depressing the button on the lower portion of your console in front of the shifter. This will cause the green light to go away when you are accelerating fast. The green light is an "animated photo of a rotor" and illuminates whenever you make a turn too fast or the wheels start to lose traction. Don't get pissed off, turn it off. :) You will have a much better day without it.... :rotf:

Tony

casey99COBRA
09-09-2004, 10:47 PM
yeah i feel really stupid! haha... yeah i'm a little new to the vehicle. It was always off before but it has been rainy outside and i thought i'd turn it on. problem solved! lol
thank you!

ausie
09-10-2004, 08:13 AM
gotta love that bogged down feeling. Ford could have done more to traction control than to permit the thing to retard timming and shut off fuel injectors. I always turn it off (light on button is on) when driving to avoid accidents (dangerous to make left turns into traffic when the TC is on which is sort of like stopping in the middle of the intersection).

Actually I think the symbol is a wheel with debris flying from the bottom. Traction control may work to some degree in the rain, but it will not help in the snow! (talk about going no where in a hurry).

casey99COBRA
09-10-2004, 11:10 AM
okay... when you are in the car and you turn it off it will light up "OFF" on the traction control button. After you have turned the car off, come back and start it up, it does not light up with the off signal. It is still in the off position correct?

wrenchturner
09-10-2004, 08:57 PM
okay... when you are in the car and you turn it off it will light up "OFF" on the traction control button. After you have turned the car off, come back and start it up, it does not light up with the off signal. It is still in the off position correct?
You have to turn it off every time you start the car, By default it turns it on each time you start the car again. Pian in the ASS :mad:

cobrabitn
09-10-2004, 10:26 PM
Dave Stanfield bought a mod to have it in the "off" position every time you start the car. You'll have to ask him what he bought to get it to do that?

Light on means it is in the "off" position not "on" position.

HTH

ausie
09-11-2004, 08:47 AM
When you turn on the ignition, (this was already stated, but here it is again) the TC is on by default, however you will see the button light up and then go out. The good news is that Ford has prepared the vehicle for your grandmother to drive. The bad news is if you install a supercharger and forget to turn it off, guess what will happen? Shutting down cylinders is not a good thing when running boost. I am not sure what would really happen, but it will not be a good thing to have occuring when you least expect it (when you have the gas pedal on the floor). The newer SVT's have a lower compression than an 01 and it probably will not be prone to detonate as easily as the 01.

The TCS (traction control system) is a great tool when learing the car's handling characteristics in all sorts of weather, so perhaps it is useful for at least the first month of driving. I now have a habit of turning it off every time I drive the cobra. It has become so routine that I look for the TCS button when I drive my other vehicle.

smashedheadcat
09-12-2004, 12:50 PM
My roommate has a traction module that will make it default in the "off position". It's brand new, never used, and he'll let it go for $40 plus shipping. If you're interested, we can get it shipped out to you right away.

Josh

jackers
09-12-2004, 12:53 PM
I have one of those traction control modules for sale. 40 + shipping (real small box). It is brand new, in original box. I paid 53+shipping if anyone is interested.

Moderators, I know this must belong in the buy/sell/trade section, but since the thread was about this module, I figured it would be ok.

Any questions, shoot them to jack_21m@hotmail.com

Thanks

smashedheadcat
09-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Jackers is my roommate, so that's the module I'm talking about in the above post.