PDA

View Full Version : Short Throw Shifters

Coy
09-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Short Throw Shifters

I am interested in installing a short throw shifter. I have been looking at the Hurst shifter which sells for about $164.00. Was wondering if anyone had installed such a shifter. I know that the vettes are running the short throws. Also, I haven't seen many top out speeds. I topped my 2004 snake at 163 mph. Would like to know if similer speeds have been reached.
Thanks, Iceman.

Hazman
09-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Best shifter on the market is the Pro 5.0 IMHO. Do a search here and you will find several threads on shifters. I have a '97 so I cannot answer on the top spead of the breathing assisted cars. :D

Big Daddy
09-10-2004, 08:16 PM
Short Throw Shifters

I am interested in installing a short throw shifter. I have been looking at the Hurst shifter which sells for about $164.00. Was wondering if anyone had installed such a shifter. I know that the vettes are running the short throws. Also, I haven't seen many top out speeds. I topped my 2004 snake at 163 mph. Would like to know if similer speeds have been reached.
Thanks, Iceman.

Well on the digital speedo (the odometer) I've had mine at 177 and I let off before I maxed fifth gear, I thinks I can go a bit faster if I had the road conditions to do it. :D
;)

STANGBUM
09-13-2004, 09:41 AM
Pro 5.0, IMO, a little noisey, but I think most aftermarket shifters are. (It sure eliminated that 2-3 shift problem) :thumbsup:

Corner-Carver
09-13-2004, 03:03 PM
Just wait for MGW's shifter to come out in the next couple of weeks. It is almost dead quiet and has an extremly short throw. :D

Firme
09-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Just wait for MGW's shifter to come out in the next couple of weeks. It is almost dead quiet and has an extremly short throw. :D

:thumbsup: I agree

Coy
09-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will look into the MGW shifter. I am not familier with the make (MGW) at all. I definetly do not want something that will be loud.

Iceman

Firme
09-13-2004, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will look into the MGW shifter. I am not familier with the make (MGW) at all. I definetly do not want something that will be loud.

Iceman

The MGW shifter is not out for public sale yet. There are only a handful of "Beta" shifters out, or on their way out ;) but George is awesome when it come to machine work and engineering Mustang parts. Bar none. UPR pretty much copies everything off of him IMO.

Check out his site www.mgwltd.com

The shifter comming out is a new design. I will let you know my impressions when I get mine. I currently have a Steeda Tri-Ax, but prefer the Pro-5.0 over it (both with a MGW handle of course) but am excited about the MGW shifter due to the excellant work George does.

As far as the current aftermarket shifters being noisy, there is a few things that you can do to dampen the noise. The reason why they are noisy is that the stock shifter has rubber isolation at all the contact points, and the shifter itself is made of "soft" flimsy metal, where the aftermarket shifters are billet steel, and contact metal to metal. So the noise transfers into the car. You can use a custom silicone gasket (instead of liquid silicone) to dampen the noise for starters.

JTSVT
09-20-2004, 08:37 PM
I have the Kirban and I cant complain...the 2-3 problem used to linger until i got used to it....plus its adjustable......JT

AHHHSUM
09-21-2004, 01:46 PM
i just installed a upr t56 short throw and i love it ,so solid ,no slop,preciseit almost eliminates the 2 to 3 shift problem ....Doug

Firme
10-15-2004, 02:33 PM
I hope you guys waited for the MGW piece, cause this thing is awesome.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1/mgwltdshifter1.jpg

To get all the info and to ask any question about it form the maker, go
to This Thread (http://www.fordpower.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105237)

InfamousSVT
10-15-2004, 07:12 PM
Awesome shifter! That's definitely worth waiting for!

cobrabitn
10-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Infamous SVT,

I'll be doing the product review on the MGW 6-speed shifter while Barry at Ford Power is doing the 5-speed version. I should be getting the new 6 speed shifter next week. If you like, maybe we can hook up next week, install it, and take photos? I have the dragon run next week but my schedule isn't 100% solidified yet. I may be going Friday/ Saturday instead of Saturday/Sunday. In that case, I'll have Sunday to put the new shifter in the Mystichrome.

Cobrabitn

InfamousSVT
10-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Cobrabitn,

That would be great, just let me know and I'll make plans to meet! Email me and I'll give you my cell number!
When you get your schedule squared away let me know when you want to get together!

InfamousSVT (Jason)
jason.r.herd@rrd.com

NewFoundPower
10-15-2004, 08:56 PM
I wanna come too!!!!!!!!!!!!:rotf:

-D-

cobrabitn
10-15-2004, 10:52 PM
Well....come on! :bounce: BTW, hopefully by drag day, we'll have another surprise! :)

NewFoundPower
10-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Next Sunday? I have that weekend off. Hmmmmm............

-D-

cobrabitn
10-15-2004, 11:14 PM
I don't have my schedule 100% so I cannot commit 100% till I know my schedule. I'll let you know as the week progresses. :)

Wintermute
10-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Looks like George might be offering a package deal to the first 50 orders at FordPower, are we included ?

cobrabitn
10-16-2004, 09:14 AM
Well um, maybe, sort of...:rotf:

Coy
10-16-2004, 11:40 PM
To Firme,

Are you going to install this in your car? and if you do, will you putting some pictures of the installation on the web? I would be interested to see what it looks like installed.

cobrabitn
10-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Coy,

Check back a few posts...

"I'll be doing the product review on the MGW 6-speed shifter while Barry at Ford Power is doing the 5-speed version. "

The review will be up on the SCMC website with pictures and installation tips.

Cobrabitn

Coy
10-17-2004, 10:56 PM
Cobrabitn,

Excellant just what I am looking for. I'll be looking forward to it.

Coy.

Firme
10-17-2004, 11:11 PM
To Firme,

Are you going to install this in your car? and if you do, will you putting some pictures of the installation on the web? I would be interested to see what it looks like installed.

Yes, I will be getting the MGW, don't know exactly when, as they are not too far from release. Like Tony said though, he will have his on his T-56 first. As well as Tony, I will also be posting pics, and showing it to the local folks.

Dave B.
10-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Well I just had the one RPM OUTLET sells put in my 03' and it works just great, has the slam bolts that keep you from hurting the fork
, no complaints, much better that stock, the one thing I have that most likley none of you have is a Hurst "T" handle set at about a 45 degree angle to match the natural position of my hand.
the other trick that I know none of you have,is on my "T" handle is a red button that is used for line lock or NOS, what we have done is use it to turn the A/C compressor off to get extra ponies with the cold air still coming out the vents as it take a while before the A/C core loses all its cool, let off the button, it comes back on, the A/C compressor most likley takes 10 to 20 HP to turn.

SVTcobra04
10-18-2004, 10:31 PM
will the new MGW short throw that we are talking about here affect your warranty.

InfamousSVT
10-18-2004, 10:35 PM
Any aftermarket shifter will affect the warranty.
But will only void the warranty on the transmission, as I understand it!

Dave B.
10-18-2004, 10:39 PM
This is what I understand about the shiter, the stock shifter has no fork stop protector, and the short throws have adjustible stops so if you shift hard it does not bend the shift fork,

SVTcobra04
10-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Any aftermarket shifter will affect the warranty.
But will only void the warranty on the transmission, as I understand it!
thats what i thought:( and i hate the 2-3 shift.but i guess ill just have to stay with the stock:(

InfamousSVT
10-18-2004, 11:13 PM
thats what i thought:( and i hate the 2-3 shift.but i guess ill just have to stay with the stock:(
Why do you want to stay with stock? It's only my opinion, but if you want to get rid of the 2nd to 3rd problem, plus get a shorter throw I'd defenitely get a aftermarket shifter!
I'm going with the MGW shifter, it's supposed to be quiter and shorter than any aftermarket shifter out there! Plus, if you've read some of the forums, George's work is top of the line!
But, it's your money and your car, so I'm not telling you what to do I'm just stating my claim.

SVTcobra04
10-18-2004, 11:18 PM
i would if i didnt have a waranty.

jack
10-18-2004, 11:27 PM
That is a great looking shifter!!!! How about the reach for tall guys?

Dave B.
10-18-2004, 11:40 PM
saying the RPM outlet shifter is a longer throw than others?

InfamousSVT
10-18-2004, 11:45 PM
saying the RPM outlet shifter is a longer throw than others?
I'm not sure who this is for, but the Hurst shift is 30% shorter throw than the stock, which goes for most aftermarket shifters on the market.
For what I understand the MGW shifter, is quiter than any aftermarket shifter and significantly shorter than any aftermarket shifter!

InfamousSVT
10-19-2004, 12:06 AM
That is a great looking shifter!!!! How about the reach for tall guys?
When purchasing the MGW shifter, you will have the choice between two handles (red/blue) or can purchase both. The blue handle is short and the red is a little taller. Both handles still give the shifter the significantly shorter throw according to what I've heard!

InfamousSVT
10-19-2004, 12:09 AM
Just wondering if we were still on for the install this Sunday?
I had Firme, forward an email to you with my cell number in it. I don't really have access to the forums over the weekends, so I wasn't sure if you have responded to my email. Let me know, I'm ready and have made no plans this weekend, so whenever you're ready I'll be there!

Dave B.
10-19-2004, 12:09 AM
I just checked, yes its the Hurst shifter that I got from RPM OUTLET, I have a custom lever though that comes back at an angle so my Hurst "T" handles finger grips are in the right possition, the Hurst handle, is twisted to the right at a 45 degree angle if you could imagine, its like no other shifter arrangment, knobs just do allow the control I have this way,

InfamousSVT
10-19-2004, 12:15 AM
I just checked, yes its the Hurst shifter that I got from RPM OUTLET, I have a custom lever though that comes back at an angle so my Hurst "T" handles finger grips are in the right possition, the Hurst handle, is twisted to the right at a 45 degree angle if you could imagine, its like no other shifter arrangment, knobs just do allow the control I have this way,
The MGW shifter handle can be rotated 360 degrees!
The handle can be placed in any location the driver desires!

cobrabitn
10-19-2004, 12:48 AM
I won't know my plans till tomorrow night. I have your phone number in the club records. I'll give you a shout when I know for sure if I don't catch you on the BB. :)

InfamousSVT
10-19-2004, 12:50 AM
Sounds great!

cobrabitn
10-19-2004, 10:22 PM
I'll be at the house Sunday p.m. for shifter installation. :) Now, all I need is the shifter to get here! :rotf: Come over if you like....

Go to yahoo maps and put my address in there for directions. I would go down Hwy 321 and catch Hwy 5 in York and then follow Hwy 5 to Rock Hill, SC.

I'll let you know as soon as the shifter gets here!

InfamousSVT
10-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Ok, I'll be there! What time would be a good time to show up!

From where I'm coming from I'll probably end up going down 77 and getting off at the Rock Hill exit! I work right off of Westinghouse Blvd.
Where am I supposed to find your address at? (might be a dumb question)
See ya there!:bounce:

cobrabitn
10-19-2004, 11:04 PM
I would say around 4:30 p.m. would be a good time. It shouldn't take long to put it in the Snake.

SCMC :)
1642 Huntmoor Dr
Rock Hill, SC 29732

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

InfamousSVT
10-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Ok, I'll be there at 4:30pm, thanks for the address see ya then!

Firme
10-20-2004, 09:47 AM
just an FYI, I got to drive a 2000 GT with the T-45 MGW shifter on Sunday evening.

WOW :eek:

It is TOTALLY quiet (don't know how loud the trany is with any other shifter as I only got to see it with the MGW shifter), it is SOLID, and it is precise.

One thing that FREAKED me out, was as far as the shifter goes, I could not tell I was driving a mustang, it felt more like a European/Japanese car as far as niceness of shifting. Very refined, very comfortable, NO NOISE.

This piece is all it is advertised to be.

SVTcobra04, two thing to note..... I got my tranny worked on under warranty with a Steeda Tri-Ax and a MGW Handle. The dealer had NO problem with the fact that I had an aftermarket shifter on the car, he actually commented "hey those thing protect the tranny better than the stock shifter". So, it depends on your dealer.
Secondly, it is a 30 minute job to replace the factory shifter if you have to take in for tranny work. So you can return the car to stock if needby real easily to get it into the dealer.

An aftermarket shifter is a MUST on a mustang

SVTcobra04
10-20-2004, 03:36 PM
thanks firme for the info on the warranty and the shifter.

InfamousSVT
10-21-2004, 02:16 AM
Nice to hear that the MGW shifter is just what it was designed to be! The best aftermarket shifter out:thumbsup:

Can't wait to do the install with Tony Sunday!!:bounce:

cobrabitn
10-21-2004, 09:41 AM
Well, no shifter this weekend. George said it will be next week before he can send me the first one. :mad: :( Will you be available next weekend too? :bounce:

InfamousSVT
10-22-2004, 01:05 AM
Well, no shifter this weekend. George said it will be next week before he can send me the first one. :mad: :( Will you be available next weekend too? :bounce:
Yeah, that will be fine with me! Just keep me posted on what's happening!