PDA

View Full Version : Roll Cage?

venomnous99
09-12-2004, 07:42 PM
In need of help. I am thinking of giving the AI series a try. My dilemna is the roll cage. I noticed that quite a few have fabricated their own cages. However, if you don't have the resources to fabricate one, who would be the best to contact. I live in Knoxville, Tn. I know places like Kenny Brown, Steeda, etc. make cages that are a direct fit, but looking at the NASA rules, none of these would satisfy the requirements. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to meet the safety reqiurements first. The rest can all follow later. For now, safety first, then learn to drive the car on track conditions, then make it fast!!!

Mystic_Cobra
09-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Since no one else has replied, I'll tell you what I know. You can buy an autopower bolt in cage that will meet the nasa requirements. OR you can have a custom cage installed. You'll need to find someone who does custom roll cages and checking with nasa guys in your region might be the best way to go. Ultimately a custom cage would be more expensive but safer than a bolt in cage - but either would work.

johnbasf
09-12-2004, 11:13 PM
Really all you need is a bolt in to start with. That will allow you to have harnesses. Get in contact with Beau Dunnivant at www.blueovalclassics.com. His shop is near Bristol and he runs AI. Tell him I sent ya.

venomnous99
09-12-2004, 11:36 PM
Thank you guys for the info. You've been a great help. Was kinda lost.

Hazman
09-13-2004, 08:45 AM
Beau is your best bet here in the East TN area. Beau runs in AI and know exactly what you need. He is also very reasonable on pricing and an all round nice guy. Just don't ask him to ride in a GM product!! His blood runs Ford Blue!

Other options are Air-Cooled Classics in Knoxville. They specialize in Porshe but they do rollcages.

Or check with Tom Lewis over in Columbia, SC aka www.bananamotorsports.com. Tom does custom rollbars and cages and he knows how to make 'em strong!

Good luck :thumbsup:

venomnous99
09-14-2004, 07:08 AM
Thanks HAZMAN! I am supposed to go talk with him on fri. weather permitting I guess. Once again thank you guys for your quick responses. This club rocks!!!

svt_coupe
09-15-2004, 03:38 PM
If you are going wheel to wheel (of any kind), DO NOT PUT A BOLT-IN IN THE CAR. I think it's crazy that it is allowed in a wheel to wheel series with cars as heavy as AI cars.... I'm not saying don't call Beau, as he'd probably say the same thing. But you need to put some kind of REAL protection in the car if you are going wheel to wheel racing. A sleeved piece of tubing for a door bar isn't gonna stop much from hitting a driver in a side impact.

Go with a custom cage. Yes it's more expensive, but don't ever scrimp on the safety stuff.

GUMBALL
09-22-2004, 05:50 PM
I have to underline the comment by svt-coupe. In the name of safety, go with a weld-in cage, but first, check with sanction body in regard to minimum tube diameter and minimum wall thickness - in this instance MORE IS BETTER.
At the same time, look at a GOOD 6-point safety harness and race seat, as well as a fire SYSTEM - I would suggest AFFF rather than halon.
Have fun...

tnturbo
09-22-2004, 06:08 PM
IF notice the big IF you know what you want give Bugs Rudd a call. He has done several custom cages for people I know and his work is good with reasonable prices. He is in the Knoxville area as well. You may want to call LNS motorcars and see what they have to say as well. They run in World Challenge and maybe Grand Am Cup I don't recall exactly race cars that run out of their are Prosches, BMWS, and a couple Ferraris. their shop is located off Weisgarber near the post office