PDA

View Full Version : SMOKIN" @ STARTUP!!!!!

WVSNS&
09-14-2004, 03:41 PM
:eek: 01 w/35k, new plugs and other stuff, fresh oil & filters. Now since I have been driving the car a little harder and faster it smokes on the start up. I mean sometimes it is like a p-51 belching bluish smoke. Only does it at the start, not noticed at all any other time. Got 14oo on the new oil, not lost any. Any suggestions?????Help...my wife will not let me keep it long if she sees the smoke!

john watkins:eek:

AHHHSUM
09-15-2004, 11:19 AM
hi im doug from canada i have a 0/3 cobra that smokes on start up only, the dealer tells me no problem, but im not sure about it ........any luck with your smoking problem

WVSNS&
09-15-2004, 11:47 AM
No fix yet, the dealer says they will look at it by friday. It is pretty annoying though and doesn't look very good. There are alot of people here local telling me my mixture is off or the egr valve isn.t working. Of course there is the ones who say the o2 sensor is bad. Very frustrating.

john watkins

wrenchturner
09-15-2004, 07:16 PM
Guess I can join the smoking club. Mine smokes at idle once in a blue moon. Not often at all. And has no timming for it. Does it one day then not for a month. No one has been able to figure it out though.

ausie
09-19-2004, 10:50 AM
The bluish smoke at startup is a condition caused by open loop EGR system. This will occur when the motor is cold. The EGR does not go into closed loop until the cats get warmed up. When operating in open loop (no EGR feedback through the EGR valve), the engine will run rich to prevent detonation. This is normal, however if you get smoke after the engine warms up you may have a sluggish 02 sensor or excessive EGR. I have had some issues at 20k miles at which I purchased a actron scanner which has a monitor for the EGR system. I found that the stock EGR valve was not operating properly even though it did not throw any codes. Since I have replaced it I can hear it open when the motor is idling which is something I never heard before.

As for the bluish smoke, you would smell the burning oil if in fact you were burning it in the first place. That is one odor you cannot forget. If you noticed an increase in fuel consumption that may be an indication that the EGR system is reverting to open loop due to slow response on the O2 sensors. On average I get 8 to 16 MPG depending on driving habits on the back roads, and close to 26 MPG on the highway (when driving at a reasonalbe speed ). Overall 18 to 22MPG on mixed driving is normal which compensates for stop and go traffic during morning rush hour.

Also, how long does it take for the coolant temperature to get to normal operating temperature. If the thermostat is stuck open, it may take longer for the motor to reach operating temperatures which will increase the fuel consumption. I had quite the opposite where the stat was not opening until 219 F and the motor was running on the lean side due to higher coolant temperatures (more than likely due to the fact that I used tap water when changed the coolant, not a good idea since flouride and bleach tend to change the boiling point, to think I drink that crap is beyond me why I am still alive). The issues I had were excessive pinging and carbon build up. I have yet to notice any smoke but then again neither has anybody else.

dewone
09-20-2004, 01:58 PM
My 85 Z-28 blows smoke at start up also. Has since i bougt it. I was told that some oil may run down the lifters into the combustion chamber and wallla smoke at start up. I bought that car with 20,000 miles on it, it now has 169,000 and super charged no problem. :thumbsup: