PDA

View Full Version : oil level

casey99COBRA
09-16-2004, 03:57 PM
where on my 99 should the oil level be on the dipstick? It does not leak oil (hell no) but when i check under the hood at times, the oil is barely above the "min" level??? I don't know whether i should add some or not?

Levi
09-16-2004, 05:10 PM
After an oil change, when refilling the engine with oil how many quarts do you use?

casey99COBRA
09-16-2004, 05:49 PM
After an oil change, when refilling the engine with oil how many quarts do you use?recently purchased the car... i have not changed the oil in it 'hence' the guy i bought it off said he had just done it a few days before i had gotten it. I imagine he used 6 quarts? When i checked the oil after i had recieved it, on the dipstick the oil level was right in the middle, checked the car this morning and it's right above min.
I want to change the oil soon, how many quarts "should" i use?

ausie
09-17-2004, 07:22 AM
6 quarts is normal for 99's on up unless the oil pan was changed to a larger capacity. Depending on the type of oil used, some may exhibit long cling times (ex AMSOIL series 2000 racing oil 20w-50 would take over half an our to reveal oil level after egine cools down) I have adopted to only check the oil when the engine is cold otherwise I may accidentially add oil when it is not needed. Also some oils seem to dissapear quicker than others. Using Mobil 1 for instance, I had to add 1 quart every 1500 miles. Even conventional oils such as havoline or valvoline did not run low for the duration of 3000 to 5000 miles. Amsoil 20w-50 had a simialr fait as did the mobil 1 but I did not notice a drop in oil level until 3000 miles (if I use the oil change interval at 5000). I did not experience any loss when using AMSOIL series 2000 0w-30 or royal purple 5w-30.

Some oils will spash vigorously under the valve cover and may get introduced into the intake via the PCV. I discovered this after taking apart the intake plenum and noticed the oil vanish left on the walls. It was thicker at the port where the PCV line came in. I know I am not passing oil any other way but perhaps there are some losses when running a cold motor due to slow thermal expansion of the piston and bore sleeve (probable piston slap may cause oil consumption and still not be noticed at the exhaust). This issue is more prevalent with the newer Mustang SVT and Mach 1 but is also an issue with the older models as well. One key to resolve this is to let it warm up a bit before driving which allows for the pistons and bore sleeve to expand which reduces the piston wobble and oil blow-by. Since the 99 -01 blocks are aluminum it is not as problematic as with the case of the iron block in the 03-04 motors. There will be some consumption but it should not be heavy, perhaps 1/2 to 1 quart per 3000 miles which is about the time that most filters have become useless. That is one reason I changed from AMSOIL to Royal Purple since AMSOIL is about $2.40 more per quart. I have nothing against AMSOIL or Mobil 1 nor am I a royal purple fan. My preference is the 20w-50 racing oil from AMSOIL but I decided to give other products a trial run. They are all good products and they all have different characteristics when used (in terms of when the oil level drops, and increase or decrease in oil pressure - which may be related to the oil filter used).

Scott99Cobra
09-28-2004, 10:23 PM
I just changed my oil on Sunday and the when I checked the dipstick the level was about a quarter of an inch from the minimum. This was after adding 6 quarts of Mobil 1 5-30. I have heard about how off the dipsticks have been, but just to sure I called SVT. They said that as long as it was NOT below the minimum, it should be okay.

ausie
09-29-2004, 07:12 AM
Depending on oil, it may take a little time before all of the oil seeps into the pan. Even after filling it. It may be possible that the dipstics may have different lengths for the same engine since they are molded or cast metal on a steel cable as compared to the solid ribon type. That makes me wonder what type of tolerance they use when making that part. If you check the oil right after changing it without starting it up, the level will be higher since you did not pump it thought the filter. Once you start it up some oil will be trapped in the filter and passages above it. There are some filters that will allow oil to seep back throught the filter (which are the one's to avoid using). Most filters should have an anti-seep valve (rubber flap) to prevent oil returning to the pan after the motor is turned off.

casey99COBRA
09-29-2004, 08:45 AM
yeah... I have yet to understand it.:bounce:

Levi
09-29-2004, 09:28 AM
One thing I did was install a Canton oil pan w/windage tray for road racing applications.
Holds two additional quarts of oil and the flaps inside the pan that keeps oil supplied to the oil pump.
It's good insurance.

:cool:

moonlt
10-06-2004, 10:48 PM
I read it has to do with fact we share the same dipstick as the Ford GT 4.6 SOHC. (Ford was cutting costs and didn't want to make a separate stick for the DOHC.) It reads accurate on the SOHC, but our dimensions/lengths are different (heads wider, etc.) so it will always look a little low -- maybe 1/4" or so. 6 to 6.5 quarts are all you want for a stock DOHC engine (original oil pan and original oil filter location). If you have a remote oil filter such as the MM relo kit which uses the bigger Motorcraft FL-1 (like the 5.0 has), you would need an extra quart. ( I think our stock filter is the same size as the V6 Taurus.)