PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust

SVTCobra96
09-18-2004, 12:49 PM
i want suggestions on an exhaust system my car is totally stock except for a 95 cobra r hood and i want the loustest i can get it i love the sound of bassani so i def. want a bassani X-pipe do i go with flowmaster mufflers? or bassani or any other ones? also im going to be hollowing out the cats

SVTCobra96
09-18-2004, 12:54 PM
or for the loustest sound should i go with a bassani H-pipe?

sssvtcobra
09-18-2004, 01:19 PM
I just had my exhaust system installed, and it's LOUD. I went with a Bassani O/R X-Pipe and Bassani Cat-back (All stainless). I also took out my baffles in my tailpipes. This system is loud, and everybody knows when you are coming. I really like it so far. I had it all installed on Thursday. If you go with a O/R x-pipe you don't want a chambered muffler like the flowmaster. Your better off going with a straight through muffler like Bassani's, Borla, and Magnaflow. A good place to go and hear some sound clips is www.mustangexhaust.com.

Jeff

ausie
09-19-2004, 11:05 AM
I will add my 2 cents worth. Since I was searching for a different muffler set up (I did not want baffles or oval shaped mufflers) I found what was called "aeroturbine" muffler. After finding this resonator type muffler I noticed that there were several other manufacturers out there that had that product. Borla stingers, SLP Loudmouth, and there may be others out there. Since the fall of the camero and trans-am, SLP has been producing products for the Mustang. I bought the SLP loudmouth in hopes that the resonators would provide the same performance as the aeroturbine muffler claims (which are now available at Midas and perhaps Minake Muffler shops). The first two weeks after installation I felt like I needed ear plugs (and that was just the cat-back). At first it sounded like running open headers with no trailing exhaust. It did quiet down a bit to the point I could not hear it and slowly the sound came back close to what it sounded like after installation but not as loud. They also have x-pipes with or without high flow cats. As well as long tube headers. Since my basic warranty for the 01 Cobra runs out this october, the long tube headers and x pipe will find its way on the Cobra in the following spring. So far I am pleased with the SLP. I see people tuning just to see where this monster sound is coming from. It sounds great on the highway especially if there are sound barriers on both sides, but it sounds horrible and nasty in a parking garage. After I put them on, I found myself shifting at a lower RPM since I have trained myself to shift based on exhaust note when it was stock. I even had the opportunity to perform a sound check against a Trans am who pulled up along side of me, guess who was louder? :D I think I pissed of the guy driving the Mustang Bullet who was behind me who just happend to be racing the trans am before the traffic light stopped us. For some the SLP may not be pleasant to hear. Under hard acceleration it will sing with furey, and with changes in exhaust pressure when shifting you will get a huge pop or crackle sound which is more than enough to get you into trouble with the sound police (do not drive like an idiot when there is a vehicle with a light bar on top of it and state or township badges on the side)

I appologize for sounding like an advertisement. I am sure I would have been just as pleased if I installed Bassani or Borla and possibly Flowmaster. My first task is to install a Kenne Bell 1.7L supercharger. I will stick with the 5 to 6 psi non-intercooled since I do not have the lower compression that the stock GT or 03/04 SVT has. From what I have read, the exhaust will get louder with forced induction. If you decide to get a cat-back avoid mild steel with aluminized coarting since they eventually rust. A good quality Stainless Steel is your best choice. The muffler should have all seams welded (not crimped like the stock exhaust). The better grade exhaust systems will have welded seams on the muffler as in the case with Bassani or Borla, but I am not sure if flowmaster or MAC uses that type of construction. Good luck with finding an exhaust.

SVTCobra96
09-19-2004, 12:16 PM
damn i really love the sound clips i hear of the SLP Loudmouth haha well do they make it in a h-pipe or would it sound better in a X-pipe also does it come with loudmouth mufflers and how much would it cost for the full system

SVTCobra96
09-19-2004, 12:25 PM
also they fit on 5.0s right?

SVTCobra96
09-19-2004, 01:21 PM
i have a 95 5.0 gt will this fit, work on it http://www.mustangtuning.com/slpexhaust1.html

dewone
09-20-2004, 02:48 PM
I read that the X pipe is quiter. The blending of the manifold sides cancels the sound pulses better. The X pipe produces more horse power than the H pipe. So for me it's a no brainer. More ponies less noise.:thumbsup:

ausie
09-22-2004, 07:33 AM
I had to look at the catalog, The loudmouth will fit 1994 and up. Of course it will be model specific since the 99 on up SVT exhaust is different than the earlier versions with the live axle as compared to the IRS. The cat back is complete from the H-pipe connection to the rear end. I just noticed thay also have another set up with the traditional oval mufflers but that is limited to the 99-04 GT/MAch 1. Their web site is www.slponline.com (http://www.slponline.com) you could probably get more information there.

One reason why I bought a mustang, tons of aftermarket products!