PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Fluid Refill

Lumpydogs
09-21-2004, 08:48 AM
I need to check the level of my tranny fluid (01' Cobra). The blurb
in the Ford Manual doesn't exactly explain the process well. I have not
been under my car yet to check the fluid level. Is the Access Plug?
mounted horizontally? If needed, do I keep adding fluid until it begins
to come out the hole? Please help.

ausie
09-24-2004, 07:33 AM
That is one thing I have yet to tackle myself along with the rear end too. You will need to use a pump to get the fluid in, only put the required amount of fluid or else there may be no room for fluid expansion. I do recall a warning on using some synthetic fluids for certain transmissions (may be re-built or non-stock trannies) due to the use of carbon fiber components. I wish I could remember where I saw that since the transmission make and model numbers were listed. It may not be the stock trans since Ford uses synthetics in their gear boxes.

wrenchturner
09-24-2004, 08:13 PM
I need to check the level of my tranny fluid (01' Cobra). The blurb
in the Ford Manual doesn't exactly explain the process well. I have not
been under my car yet to check the fluid level. Is the Access Plug?
mounted horizontally? If needed, do I keep adding fluid until it begins
to come out the hole? Please help.
On the right side of the trans you will find both the fill and the drain. If your going to drain it make sure to remove the fill plug 1st. That way the fluid does not gurgle as it comes out. I changed mine at 18k and was glad i did. It had a brownish tint to it. depending on what trans you have, ford used 2 in 01 it takes wither 3.5 qts or 3.75 qts. This does not fill it to the fill plug like you thought it should. I called my local SVT dealer and they said to use the amount specified. Not to fill it till it comes out the fill plug like you would think you should. Did that 3k miles ago and no issuses to speak of. Used mobil 1 synth too. shifts awesome and no noise. Since Im a mechanic anyways I am planning on changing it every 15k miles. Its easy and cheap enough to do anyways.

Hope that helped.

Lumpydogs
09-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll change it this weekend if not too busy. :thumbsup:

Lumpydogs
09-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Now I'm at home with the car up on jack stands, but I'm still unclear about the tranny plugs (draing and fill) Is the drain plug a square drive piece?
If so, is the fill plug near it? Sorry about the dumb questions but I've never
done this before. It sounds easy yet I can't find the plugs :mad:

DISREGARD I found the fill plug hidden over the tranny brace. :bounce:

Lumpydogs
09-26-2004, 08:55 PM
WOW What a difference. I notice the smoother shift and quieter
tranny before I drove out of my subdivision. I decided to change my tranny
fluid just as a precaution. The tranny humm inside the car seemed a little
louder over the past few weeks. The tranny has hummed since I installed the
aftermarket Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter. I only have 13,350 miles on the odometer.

The old (OEM original) fluid was darker than the new fluid but seemed OK
to me. I used the Mobile 1 synthetic AFT fluid. Now the car shifts
easier and is alot quieter. I am completely surprised with the difference
after just changing the tranny fluid. I highly recommend changing transmission fluid to anyone reading this post.

One odd point, is that the Mustang GT manual calls for 8 pints of
fluid filled to the bottom of the filler hole. The Cobra manual calls for
6.6 pints of fluid filled to the bottom of the filler hole. (different manual trans???) I put in approximately 7.4 pints and the fluid was still significantly lower than the fill hole. Maybe I'm 0.8 pints overfilled or I'm still 0.6 pints underfilled, I don't know. The original fluid that I drained out was approximately 6.5 pints.

I wanted to share my experience with the club. :D

p.s. Thanks to Wrenchturner for his advice.

wrenchturner
09-27-2004, 11:13 PM
Glad I could be of help. I got my 01 in july and a young kid had owned it while he was in school. Only 16k on it but i fugured It might have been not totally taken care of. So fluid changes of all of the fluids was my 1st thing to do. I was also surprised by how much of a difference the trans fluid change mead in shifting and noise.

cobra330
10-04-2004, 09:53 PM
So what is the recommend time/mileage for transmission fluid change? Even if it is full...it should be changed every certain amount of miles..is that what I am getting from this thread?

Lumpydogs
10-09-2004, 04:00 PM
I changed mine at just under 15k miles. I don't know of any
recommended interval. I was hoping to improve the ease of
shifting and reduce some of the tranny whine. Changing the fluid
accomplished both things. For the $30 and some jack time, It's
a little more piece of mind.