PDA

View Full Version : 03' - 04' Cobra drivetrain lash

DesertCobra
09-22-2004, 09:08 PM
I have heard that replacing IRS / differential stock rubber bushings with polyurethane bushings would suppress drivetrain lash. True ?

I'd also heard that the T56 trans contributes to rattle ? Is this true or is this some clutch rattle at low RPM (under 2000 RPM). They put this tranny in Z06s, GTOs, Vipers, and the high performance cadillacs. Can't imagine the Tremek T56 rattling in these high end rides.

I test drove a GTO and did not recall in drivetrain lash which would imply that it is using bettr bushings maybe ?

By the way .... I just installed the Apten CAI in my 04'. Don't feel any seat of the pants difference but I hear that without some better exhaust the CAI benefits are minimal. Guess you have to improve both ends to see big gains.
Apten claims 21 RWHP with their CAI .... guess I'll have to wait till I get a good CAT back.

NewFoundPower
09-22-2004, 09:16 PM
Kinda funny that you mentioned the rattle. I recently noticed it on my 04. It sounds almost like a mild grinding of the gears. Couldn't figure out what it was. So I am guessing that this is normal. Anybody else notice this?

-D-

Butcher
09-23-2004, 08:50 AM
Kinda funny that you mentioned the rattle. I recently noticed it on my 04. It sounds almost like a mild grinding of the gears. Couldn't figure out what it was. So I am guessing that this is normal. Anybody else notice this?

-D-
I noticed it immediately after throwing the Pro50 shifter into the car. After looking at the rubber bushing used in the stock shifter, I figured I was noticing the rattle due to the rubber dampning the shake up through the stock shifter...hmmm.

crunchit
09-24-2004, 06:56 PM
Finally I don't feel so all alone. I have been really concerned about the strange clicking noise in the rear when shifting into either 1st or reverse. Also, I have noticed that below 2000 rpms the tranny seems a bit loose(for lack of a better word). A friend told me that's due to the size of the cobra clutch. I am taking my '03 in on mon for a checkup. We'll see what happens.

NewFoundPower
09-24-2004, 10:49 PM
Cool, make sure to let us know what you find out.

-D-

Big T
09-25-2004, 12:50 AM
Mine does this also. I heard from others that it is normal.

crunchit
09-28-2004, 02:24 PM
Had ford take a look at it yesterday. After driving it, the tech felt that there may be a problem because of the slapping into gears. He threw it up on the lift and checked the drive shaft, then went into their system to see if there has been any similiar activity. According to ford (he showed me the bulliten, even though he himself thought it odd) the clunking noise when shifthing on the SVT is normal. SO there you have it.

DesertCobra
09-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Yep ..... that seems the be the what everyone is told. But, I still think that
aftermarket polyurethane rear end/differential bushings is what was suggested by someone here to eliminate a lot of this clunking. Would be nice to firm up
this noisy drivetrain on the cobra.

I would really like to hear what SVT Fords' take on this issue.

NewFoundPower
09-28-2004, 07:06 PM
Wow! I am rather surprised to hear that is "normal". Seems to me like SVT would have taken means to prevent that from being an issue but as long as it isn't damaging the car in anyway. Besides, hopefull soon my exhaust will be loud enough to drown it out anyway. :thumbsup: