I have been looking at the Flowmaster 50 series muffler and was wondering if
a muffler would produce as much RWHP gain as a catback. Anyone have any
ideas ?

DesertCobra
09-28-2004, 02:40 PM
Question concerns the 03' - 03' cobras

Firme
09-28-2004, 04:53 PM
well, a muffler will produce some horspower, but not as much by itself as a catback would.

Reason being. The stock setup not only has restrictive mufflers, but a restrictive catback as well. The pies are smaller, and not mandrel bent. Aftermarket, for the 03-04 especially, has bigger pipes(2.5" or 3") and is mandrel bent.

Mandrel bent means that all the curves of the pipe are smooth and the same size as the rest of the pipe, whereas the stock system has corners with crinkled sides where the pipe gets smaller.

NewFoundPower
09-28-2004, 07:09 PM
I must admit that I was a little surprised to find out that there were such restrictive mufflers and exhaust on the cobras. I wonder why SVT doesn't give them a more aggressive exhaust setup?

-D-

Firme
09-28-2004, 07:19 PM
I must admit that I was a little surprised to find out that there were such restrictive mufflers and exhaust on the cobras. I wonder why SVT doesn't give them a more aggressive exhaust setup?

-D-

I personally think its for two reasons.

1. Mustangs in general are made to be priced low so some parts are not that intricate, like the exhaust and the shifter.
2. Ford and the Mustang team knows for a fact that the mustang is one of the biggest aftermarket modified cars out there, so why should they specialize something when most people modify it. Ford often works with aftermarket companies, and modifiers like Roushe. Part of their niche is the Aura of the mustang and the numerous possiblities out there to make it like you want it, after you buy it (note warranty is for normal folk :D )

NewFoundPower
09-28-2004, 08:49 PM
I had wondered if the aftermarket parts market (kinda redundant :D ) played a role in that decision. Me personally, I think it would be kinda cool if SVT offered different exhuast packages so that your snake can sound the exact way you want it to right off the show room floor but I guess that takes all the fun out of modding your car yourself huh? :rotf:

Skill
09-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Just put Flowmaster 40 series Delta Flows (mufflers only) on mine and sounds pretty good.I have the 04 and Flowmaster does not have a kit for the IRS yet. The mufflers are 2.25'' if you just are going to change out the stock ones and use the factory pipes.The part # is FLO-842444 and paid about $194 shipped from Summit.I will stay with this for a while untill I can afford to do the whole exhaust-headers back and I figure out what I really want.Good luck....Skill

MikeyC
11-04-2004, 09:52 AM
A little late in putting in my 2-cents worth on mufflers but just changed out the stock ones for Magnaflow's and the sound is just what I was looking for. No heavy drone cruising in 6th gear but good sound in lower gears and especially at WOT. They have a nice little 'burbble' or popping sound when you are backing down in 2nd and 3rd gear around the neighborhood. A nice compromise between me and my better half. We use the Cobra for golf trips (trunk will hold 2 sets of clubs) and can talk and listen to CD's easily while cruising a couple of hours to a golf course.

casey99COBRA
11-04-2004, 01:29 PM
well sh|t! i wish i had a nice car to do 'just' that! :p :thumbsup:

A little late in putting in my 2-cents worth on mufflers but just changed out the stock ones for Magnaflow's and the sound is just what I was looking for. No heavy drone cruising in 6th gear but good sound in lower gears and especially at WOT. They have a nice little 'burbble' or popping sound when you are backing down in 2nd and 3rd gear around the neighborhood. A nice compromise between me and my better half. We use the Cobra for golf trips (trunk will hold 2 sets of clubs) and can talk and listen to CD's easily while cruising a couple of hours to a golf course.

cobrabitn
11-04-2004, 10:59 PM
Some of those ideas are good but the reason the 03-04's have restrictive pipes is because of the "drive by" test. It has to do with noise and so therefore they restricted the engine to be quiet and by doing this they choked up the exhaust.

I wouldn't just buy mufflers as that will be just a waste in the long run. Save up and get a full catback system and as Firme said, mandrell bent pipes, and a larger diameter. I have Magnaflows and they are too quiet for me but I bought them that way for a reason. I currently have the stock cats on now but sometime in the future, they'll come off and then it'll be just right! :thumbsup:

BTW, there is a ton of rwhp to be had when you go with a full catback. Muffler change will give you some, but a full kit will give you even more. :)

jack
11-04-2004, 11:40 PM
If somebody was looking for just a little more sound would just mufflers be the way. I drive it every day and dont want alot more. thanks,

cobrabitn
11-04-2004, 11:47 PM
Just mufflers are fine and you will see some gains but I would price it out first. I paid $349.00 for a complete Magnaflow catback delivered to my door step. Not sure how much you are talking here but I would weigh the extra HP gains you would receive for a few dollars more. :)

beerkat
11-05-2004, 10:12 AM
I have a set of Flow Maters mufflers on my '03. They are on stock '03 pipes and have rounded chrome exhaust tips. I will sell them for a $100 plus shipping. They sound good, but I think that I would like something like Borla or Bassini better.

jack
11-05-2004, 01:19 PM
beerkat, how much of a difference did just the mufflers make? Im looking for just a little bit of sound but not much more. Im not looking for power just sound. thanks

InfamousSVT
11-05-2004, 07:56 PM
beerkat, how much of a difference did just the mufflers make? Im looking for just a little bit of sound but not much more. Im not looking for power just sound. thanks
I put a set of the Super 40 Flowmasters and the MAC Prochamber, and mine sounds really nice! First time I've ever went with the Prochamber, but I'm really pleased with the outcome! :thumbsup:

beerkat
11-06-2004, 09:11 AM
In terms of making my Cobra heard it makes quite a difference. Nice sound at idle and when getting on it. It gives you the gurgle when you back off so all the sounds that you want are there, and it not so loud that your neighbors complain when you start it up in the morning. I am pleased with the sound it gives my '03. The worst thing about it is that drone around 65 to 70 bothers me,but over 70 it is very quite in the car.:thumbsup:

Dave B.
11-06-2004, 10:37 PM
I have a Magnaflow and a cat-back, and X-pipe,, let me tell you something, I cannot tell you what kind of HP gain but the sound,,,,,OH MAN!!!
THE SOUND!!
the car sounds like a Farrari, or a V-12 Lambo,,, NO kidding, it is not a raspy sound, its the farthest thing from a cheap loud sound you could posibly imagine, the guy that said it had a burbly popping sound durring down shift,,,,worth the money alone.
heres the coolest part,,when sitting still at a light, the car with its Cobra "R" wing&hood draws attention just idling, but when the light turns green and all the traffic starts rolling, I like to leave it in first till it gets to about 5000 before I shift as that V-12 sound bouncing off the vehicles around me,
better than listening to music.

ausie
11-07-2004, 05:18 AM
I am sure I have beaten the SLP thing to death by now. The 4v mod motors do have that European sound to them, more so with the 99/01 motors. But with WOT there is now doubt the sound is American Muscle. I get the same sound out of the 04 using the same cat-back exhaust, but there is definately a difference when the boost kicks in. I see no need to replace the stock H pipe or headers unless I change the supercharger or SC pullies. I only installed the cat-back for the sound. I cannot say it has a v-12 sound or even a v-10 but it is similar. I have often had people ask me questions on what sits under the hood, and I get them confused when I say 4.6L. "what is that in inches" they often ask, and my response is 281. It is great having that big block sound and power from a tiny motor. At least Ford did not throw in the 3.8L engine from the left over thunderbirds or Jaguars.

As for the neighbors, let them complain. I normally drive so that I do not disturb too many when it should be quiet time. Besides that, I do not let others tell me what I should do or how I should live. I have had idiots yell at me simply because I drive a FORD. There are those others that ride your tail thinking that will make the car in front of you move faster. Then again there are those that just say "that car is evil, I want one" which is cool with me.

Butcher
11-08-2004, 02:04 AM
I have a Magnaflow and a cat-back, and X-pipe,, let me tell you something, I cannot tell you what kind of HP gain but the sound,,,,,OH MAN!!!
THE SOUND!!
the car sounds like a Farrari, or a V-12 Lambo,,, NO kidding, it is not a raspy sound, its the farthest thing from a cheap loud sound you could posibly imagine, the guy that said it had a burbly popping sound durring down shift,,,,worth the money alone.
heres the coolest part,,when sitting still at a light, the car with its Cobra "R" wing&hood draws attention just idling, but when the light turns green and all the traffic starts rolling, I like to leave it in first till it gets to about 5000 before I shift as that V-12 sound bouncing off the vehicles around me,
better than listening to music.
Gotta love it! My daughter describes it best. Shes 22, says it sounds like a swarm of angry bumblebees, and preform? Jesus, these Magnaflows FLOW.;)
I use the offroad with the xpipe. damn...

Jimmie

kilroy
11-13-2004, 11:37 AM
I have been looking at the Flowmaster 50 series muffler and was wondering if
a muffler would produce as much RWHP gain as a catback. Anyone have any
ideas ?No muffler alone have I ever heard of making 28rwhp, which is what my Borla Stingers alone produced on a same-day dyno session. It was my first mod & took the car from 382rwhp/379rwtq to 410/409. Then came the CAI & 2.85"/chip to add 65rwhp/88rwtq to the equation - still with the stock h-pipe in place. Late this summer I added a Bassani Metallicat X to the equation and procrastinated and was unable to test with "summer gas" so the numbers do not reflect the supposed 15/18 those were supposed to add...

That said, a buddy of mine recently purchased a used '03 that has a 2.80"/chip, & CAI with weld-in 2.25" "40" flows and dynoed just 10 rwhp less the same day I did. He still has OEM h-pipe & all. Think about that.

If you look at the stock muffler assemby the 2.25" pipe necks down to 1 15/16" at entry/exit of the muffler. That's where the restriction is, well that & the muffler itself.

You can spend money for the sound, but if you need to wait ($$$) to put together a full exhaust system - weld-ins would be fine, I think, for now. Certainly works for my friend's car... He still thinks they're too quiet, though. :rolleyes:

MikeyC
11-18-2004, 07:32 PM
Jack

I was in your situation - didn't need any more power, just wanted a little more sound. Put on the Magnaflow mufflers and they are perfect. Not sure where you live in Tennessee but we will be in Knoxville in a couple of weeks and may drive the Cobra to enjoy the trip through the 'gorge' between Ashville, NC and Knoxville. Haven't taken that trip in the Snake but it looks like it will be a lot of fun. If you are near Knoxville, maybe we could get together and you could give it a listen to see if that is what you are looking for. I paid about $240 for the mufflers, installed.

MikeyC