PDA

View Full Version : TWS Prep

Codes
09-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Ok guys, Me and the Rentals are getting ready for TWS. In terms of car prep, what should we do before we leave, what do we need to bring with us, etc. This is going to be our first track experience and we want it to go as smoothly as possible so it wont be our last. Thanks guys -Cody

Bartman01
09-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Ditto that. Is there a copy of the tech readiness info that we can get now (signed up or not)? I need to make arrangements, and will be out of town quite a bit between now and then. If I signed up today, it may be too late to prep by the time I get the info given my schedule.

Firme
09-29-2004, 01:18 PM
and why haven't you folks signed up yet?? :doubt:

you get a packet that covers the prep work after signing up.

To sum it.

It would good to have fresh fluids:
-Oil at the least, it is good to have fresh oil in the car. AND MAKE SURE THE LEVEL IS NOT LOW. Some actually add a little extra to make sure thier engine is well oiled with the G's in the turns.

-brake fluid, if its more than a year old, its a good idea to do a brake flush with a good dot 3 or 4 fluid.
-Tranny fluid.. good practice, especially for the older cars.
-Rear end fluid.. good practice also, don't forget the Ford friction modifier.

-Tires.. make sure you have at least 3/32 tread on them. Tires are key
-Brakes.. make sure your pads have a decent amount of life left in them and that your rotors are in good shape.

-Coolant. Water wetter is good. If you haven't flushed the coolant in a long time, its a good idea. BUT, beware, the DOHC cars have a tendancy to have air in the system and need to be burped with the top plug. Don't do this last minute, if you flush the fluid, give it enough time to get the air out of the system or else you will run hot.

-no leaks. Make sure the car does not have any fluid leaks as you won't pass tech.

-safety equipment. Make sure you seatbelts work, if you are going to have an instructor, make sure you have matching seatbelts for the driver and the passenger. For example, don't hook up a 5-point harness on the drivers side if your instuctor is just gonna have the factory seatbelt.

-helmet You have to have a helmet (i think they have loaners at the track). SA-2000 prefered.

-you can also make sure all the suspension is nich and torqued down and some cars have bolts loosen as they get older.. especially if you have aftemarket k-member and coil-overs.

-Alignment.... make sure you have proper alignment. You don't want to be out of wack at 120+mph. If you have the means, you can always set you camber more negativefor track use, if its a street car and it won't break the bank, you can then have it re-aligned after the event back to street use.

hmmm what else am I missing.....

David.. jump in man.

03 cobra toy
09-29-2004, 02:27 PM
Going back to brake pads..If your car has 15K or more and the brake pads have NOT been replaced...Get some new ones please.....

97CasperCobra
09-29-2004, 02:32 PM
So in order for me to run, I have to get:
-my rear diff leak checked out
-new pads/rotors
-my misfiring fixed
-Control arm situation fixed
-most likely my clutch replaced
-new fluids(have more left over from last year)

Not looking too good for me that I'll be running on the track this year....having an "old" car with no fix-up $$ sucks. :(

Codes
09-29-2004, 03:04 PM
Thanks, we have our reg sheets filled out, just havent sent them in.

Codes
09-29-2004, 03:08 PM

you get a packet that covers the prep work after signing up.

To sum it.

It would good to have fresh fluids:
-Oil at the least, it is good to have fresh oil in the car. AND MAKE SURE THE LEVEL IS NOT LOW. Some actually add a little extra to make sure thier engine is well oiled with the G's in the turns.

-brake fluid, if its more than a year old, its a good idea to do a brake flush with a good dot 3 or 4 fluid.
-Tranny fluid.. good practice, especially for the older cars.
-Rear end fluid.. good practice also, don't forget the Ford friction modifier.

-Tires.. make sure you have at least 3/32 tread on them. Tires are key
-Brakes.. make sure your pads have a decent amount of life left in them and that your rotors are in good shape.

-Coolant. Water wetter is good. If you haven't flushed the coolant in a long time, its a good idea. BUT, beware, the DOHC cars have a tendancy to have air in the system and need to be burped with the top plug. Don't do this last minute, if you flush the fluid, give it enough time to get the air out of the system or else you will run hot.

-no leaks. Make sure the car does not have any fluid leaks as you won't pass tech.

-safety equipment. Make sure you seatbelts work, if you are going to have an instructor, make sure you have matching seatbelts for the driver and the passenger. For example, don't hook up a 5-point harness on the drivers side if your instuctor is just gonna have the factory seatbelt.

-helmet You have to have a helmet (i think they have loaners at the track). SA-2000 prefered.

-you can also make sure all the suspension is nich and torqued down and some cars have bolts loosen as they get older.. especially if you have aftemarket k-member and coil-overs.

-Alignment.... make sure you have proper alignment. You don't want to be out of wack at 120+mph. If you have the means, you can always set you camber more negativefor track use, if its a street car and it won't break the bank, you can then have it re-aligned after the event back to street use.

hmmm what else am I missing.....

David.. jump in man.
I was going to purchase new tires but I heard that newer tires with more tread wouldnt fair to well on the track, is this correct? My rear tread is kind of low (just had them rotated), do I need to order a new pair before TWS?

Bartman01
09-29-2004, 03:12 PM

Because some of us were waiting for the online signup (which just became available). Now that it is available I have very little time in town before the event and want to arrange all my tech stuff before I sign up. Don't want to pay then not be able to play because I didn't have time to get something done.

Last year we had to have a signed tech sheet, will that be required again. If so, how can I get a copy TODAY so I can make arrangements with a tech to get it done.

Bartman01
09-29-2004, 03:13 PM
Going back to brake pads..If your car has 15K or more and the brake pads have NOT been replaced...Get some new ones please.....

Is that front AND rear, or just front? I have ~36k on mine and have new pads to put on the front. Hadn't worried about the rear since they wear slower, but I can do those too.

03 cobra toy
09-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Is that front AND rear, or just front? I have ~36k on mine and have new pads to put on the front. Hadn't worried about the rear since they wear slower, but I can do those too.

We have rear brakes?? :( J/K

On the rear make sure you have a min. of 40% pad....

03 cobra toy
09-29-2004, 06:25 PM
Edmond

What kind of street & track brake pad should everyone use??? :D I just use the stock pads that came with the 00R kit...

Firme
09-29-2004, 07:53 PM
Edmond

What kind of street & track brake pad should everyone use??? :D I just use the stock pads that came with the 00R kit...

That is a good question... there is alot of misleading information out there. You see people arguing on the board as to what the best are out there, but they miss a big point of the argument. Which is application.

For the street you want pads that have a lower heat range and start working without too much heat needed.

For a track like MSR which is a tight track and has alot of quick turns, you need a good pad which has high heat range as you will work the pad to death.

For TWS however (especially for those with brake cooling ducts) there are long turns and a big front and back straight.. your pads stay cooler than at say MSR.. so a street/strip pad is a good idea.

I did alot off looking at pads, and here is my opinion on street/strip pads , short and sweet.(David can go into race pads)

For street cars that are do lite tracking.. a good set of front pads would be either 03 Cobra stock pads (material was redone for 03), or Performance Frictions from Autozone (carbon metalic, with a lifetime warranty)

For the rear, (Autozone does not carry a Performance Friction rear pad for our car). The best bet, and cheapest route, is the 03 cobra pads (material was redone for 03), . An alternative would be Hawks, but I tend to shy away from hawks as they chew up rotors too much.

Hope that helps

Codes
09-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Where did you guys get your helmets?

Firme
09-29-2004, 09:42 PM
I got mine from Jegs

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=361&cgrfnbr=775

But I know there are cheaper places out there.

Bart I will sen dyou what you need via email

03 cobra toy
09-30-2004, 09:09 AM
Where did you guys get your helmets?

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/

http://www.pitstopusa.com/default.htm

http://www.colemanracing.com/

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/

:thumbsup: Make sure it's a SA2000

Andy M
09-30-2004, 04:16 PM
Edmond,

Actually, Performance Friction does make 90 compound pads for an IRS car. This is what I use on the rear of my car, for both street and track. Great pads! They do not squeel, do not tear up the rotors when cold, and they last a long time. Even with a ton of track events last year, I had the same set on the rear of my car all year long. And I did at least 10 track events last year.

I agree though that using a good set of street pads on the rear is the best and most cost effective option. Of course, the fronts are what take the brunt of the beating on the track!!

Levi
09-30-2004, 04:25 PM
I was using PF Z pads in the front and stock Ford pads in the rear.
I thought about using PF 97 in the front and 90 in the rear. Just could not get them in time. So I decided to try Hawk Black front and rear pads.
We will see how this works out and let you know after the TWS Open Track event in Oct.

Firme
09-30-2004, 05:35 PM
Edmond,

Actually, Performance Friction does make 90 compound pads for an IRS car. ...

Thanks for clearing that up Andy, I should have clarified that the "Autozone" cheap carbon/metalics do not have a rear counterpart.

Codes
10-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Guys, should I order new tires before TWS. Like I said earlier, I just got them rotated, my front ones are ok on tread but my rear ones are a little low. On another board I asked the same question and they said new tires might shread. If I need to get new ones I need some suggestions cause its coming up here and I gots to get them. I would like some tires that can be my road tires but that would also work ok on the track, college student doesnt have money to have 2 or 3 sets of tires. Thanks guys.

Firme
10-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Guys, should I order new tires before TWS. Like I said earlier, I just got them rotated, my front ones are ok on tread but my rear ones are a little low. On another board I asked the same question and they said new tires might shread. If I need to get new ones I need some suggestions cause its coming up here and I gots to get them. I would like some tires that can be my road tires but that would also work ok on the track, college student doesnt have money to have 2 or 3 sets of tires. Thanks guys.

Codey, if you have about 3/32 or more tread left, I would use your current tires and get new tires after the event.

For tires, look at Cooper Zeon 2XS. They sell them at discount tire. They are super cheap and awesome traction.

On some tires, like the BFGoodrich Comp T/A's that came OEM on the 01 Cobra's, when the tread got low, the traction got horrible. You should be able to tell if your traction is "bad" with the current state of your tires.

P.S. ANDY you still have my tire depth gauge from last year :rotf:

03 cobra toy
10-05-2004, 06:38 PM
Codey, if you have about 3/32 or more tread left, I would use your current tires and get new tires after the event.

What he said :thumbsup: Hell I wish my tires had 3/32 ;)