PDA

View Full Version : Boost Gauge?

Mike's Snake
09-29-2004, 07:27 AM
Hi guys/gals, I just got my new '04 Cobra last week and love it. I have a question, though: How accurate is the boost gauge and where does it usually get up to on a stock Cobra at WOT above 3500 RPM's? I know I shouldn't be getting on it too much right now (break it in nicely ;) ), but when I have gotten on the gas the boost gauge needle almost gets in the far end of the "safe range". (I think it might barely touch that first line). Mind you I am not complaining (the more boost the better :D ), I was just curious if this is where all of them get up to stock.

Thanks,

Michael

Red03
10-01-2004, 07:35 PM
Hi guys/gals, I just got my new '04 Cobra last week and love it. I have a question, though: How accurate is the boost gauge and where does it usually get up to on a stock Cobra at WOT above 3500 RPM's? I know I shouldn't be getting on it too much right now (break it in nicely ;) ), but when I have gotten on the gas the boost gauge needle almost gets in the far end of the "safe range". (I think it might barely touch that first line). Mind you I am not complaining (the more boost the better :D ), I was just curious if this is where all of them get up to stock.

Thanks,

Michael

First of all congrats on your recent purchase. You now belong the boost junkies club :rotf: . As far as how accurate our gauges are from what I understand they are fairly acruate. A stock cobra should give about 8-9 lbs of boost, which about to your first line on the right side of the gauge. I have a K&N FIPK and full Bassani exahuast on mine and can bury the gauge about 10lbs consistently. The stock air intake and exhaust form Ford is pretty restritive. Gotta get these things opened up so they can breathe. If you want higher boost then that (and who doesn't) you will have to change the pulley. A word of advise on changing the pulley, most dealers will void your engine warranty if you have the pulley changed. I addition make sure you get a good dyno tune after, because a smaller pulley will usuaslly make you A/F mixture lean at WOT. Hope this helps, enjoy your new LS motor killer :thumbsup: .

Mike's Snake
10-01-2004, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

I got the torch red too, and love the looks and performance so far.

Thanks,

Michael

ausie
10-13-2004, 06:41 AM
The boost guage on mine get burried if I push the throttle down (depending on speed and gear I am in). It is still stock (restrictive components not yet removed). It will probably drop a bit after installing a less restrictive cat-back.

I am looking for the GREEN air filter. I am planning on using that with the outer filter from an AMSOIL dual filtration filter which will keep all the junk out of the pleats. I would use K&N but I was not pleased with how it fit in the 01 and I am certain it would be just as loose in the 04. I might just use the AMSOIL filter since it will trap more junk than the others.