PDA

View Full Version : 01 trade in for an 04 SVT

ausie
10-01-2004, 07:03 AM
I have been considering for a while to trade in my 01 cobra for the 04 cobra. Is it worth it? I may do it this month so what is your oppinion?

Sonic Blue
10-01-2004, 07:41 AM
THis is my third cobra and I think as far as performance the best. I think you will be very happy. As you know with very little effort you can safely have over 400RWHP streetable car.

Firme
10-01-2004, 07:54 AM
I have considered the same thing. And I think if there was still a mineral gray 03 out, I would do it. I just can't get away from the color.

I love the sound of the blower whine :drool:

Coy
10-01-2004, 09:48 AM
I traded in my 01 for an 04. Like they stated, it does not take a whole lot of add-ons to make 400 hp and more @ the rear wheels. If you want to get a lot of looks when you go drive through town, believe me the 04 will get them. I have had both men and women pull up beside me and nearly break their necks to get a look at my car. The feeling is great I must admit. I get comments almost everytime I bring the snake into town. So is it worth it? your darn right it is!

ausie
10-02-2004, 07:13 AM
Thanks for all the response,

I am still debating. If I keep the 01 I will install a Kenne bell supercharger, but yet would that be the demise I wish to avoid. If I sum it all up, the upgrades in the 04 will surpass anything I could do to the 01. I will have to wait until thrusday or friday of next week to decide. Since there are 6000 miles left on the warrenty, and this will be the last month the basic warrenty will be valid. Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

I will have to put the original cat-back on the car and keep the SLP loudmouth since it will fit the 04.

I really do not want to loose my new wheels either, but the original rims have snow tires on them. Do you think that will matter in trade-in value?

NewFoundPower
10-02-2004, 10:53 AM
I would say go for the 04 but keep in mind that if you are going to do alot of mods to your car and you are worried about a warranty, you can safely get away with putting a CAI and after market exhaust on your 04 but anything more than that voids the warranty. Smaller pulley included. Me personally am just sticking with the CAI, aftermarket exhaust, and a different shifter until the warranty runs out. Just my $.02 but something you should think about.

-D-

ausie
10-03-2004, 07:19 AM
That is very much the same reason why I have not yet supercharged the 01.
Like I said I am still debating. I may have a few issues with the 01 (have to be picky on fuel used, leaky resivior cap, and some suspension noises, most of which are minor issues). It would cost me less money in the long run to add parts to the 01 vrs trading in for an 04. I am not sure if trading in the aluminum pony for the iron horse is a good thing or not. It will be hard to let go of the 01.

RF Cobra
10-03-2004, 01:15 PM
That is very much the same reason why I have not yet supercharged the 01.
Like I said I am still debating. I may have a few issues with the 01 (have to be picky on fuel used, leaky resivior cap, and some suspension noises, most of which are minor issues). It would cost me less money in the long run to add parts to the 01 vrs trading in for an 04. I am not sure if trading in the aluminum pony for the iron horse is a good thing or not. It will be hard to let go of the 01.
Not to complicate matters even more, but you could always keep the 01, do some more things to it, and wait for the 07 if you are torn about getting rid of the 01. Of course, you could always keep the 01, get an 04, and get the 07 later. ;)

ausie
10-07-2004, 12:40 PM
Then again, I could always just trade all of my cars in for a FORD GT. Unfortunately, I only have a one car garage and do not care to leave the pony out in the cold.

I was on a business trip this week, I got some mustang mag at the airport to read on the trip home. In the recent issue of 5.0 they had an article comparring all of FORD's heads from the first cobra to the latest 04. It appears that from 01 on, the heads are relatively similar which also includes the FR500 heads. The best heads were the 03/04 heads but they seem to suffer the same fate as the 01 and FR500 heads where it concerns cooling issues (pistons #6.7.8) have poor coolant flow which causes the valves to heat up and not seat properly on the intake side of things. Hence the audiable tick becomes the end result. Of course there is a difference in volume of air flow between the three, the FR500 seemed to be the weakest of the three. They also had the navigator and cobra R heads. Not only that, they made mention of the A casting and fully described the B as well.

In either case, as well as other mags I picked up, has convinced me to scrap the 01 for the 04. Now time to make a deal and see what is on the lot.

SVTcobra04
10-07-2004, 03:48 PM
I traded in my 01 for an 04. Like they stated, it does not take a whole lot of add-ons to make 400 hp and more @ the rear wheels. If you want to get a lot of looks when you go drive through town, believe me the 04 will get them. I have had both men and women pull up beside me and nearly break their necks to get a look at my car. The feeling is great I must admit. I get comments almost everytime I bring the snake into town. So is it worth it? your darn right it is!
ive got a 04 also. yea that happens to me alot to.alot of people turn there head to look.alot of people try really hard to keep up to get a better look.wait till i put a new exhaust on then alot more people will look.

Cobrizo
10-07-2004, 06:42 PM
I traded my '01 or my '03 10th Anniversary Edition, it was the best thing I could have done! I absolutely love my car! I put the Borla Stinger catback on it, Scott Winger SS Bumper Letters and build numbers, a JLT CAI (special paint job with flames) and a Steeda Triax shifter and MGW handle. I had the windows tinted darker too, very cool looking car! :D I took it to Gingerman Raceway this past September and had a blast! It will be stored for winter soon.

Pam

InfamousSVT
10-07-2004, 10:31 PM
It's illegal for a dealership to void the factory warranty on a vehicle for aftermarket products unless the aftermarket product is the initial cause of the problem! Unless it specifically states the use of aftermarket products in the warranty!

RF Cobra
10-07-2004, 11:02 PM
It's illegal for a dealership to void the factory warranty on a vehicle for aftermarket products unless the aftermarket product is the initial cause of the problem! Unless it specifically states the use of aftermarket products in the warranty!
Actually it is the manufacturer not the dealership that voids the warranty, and no it is not illegal to do so if alterations are made, and yes Ford and SVT state that the warranty is void with the use of aftermarket parts. It does not matter if the part was the direct cause or if it is a component only vaugely related to the piece that failed. Simply changing the shifter will void the warranty on the transmission. Changing the pulley(s) can void the warranty on a lot of things. The warranty only applies to the quality and workmanship and intended use within the specifications set forth by the manufacturer. Any alteration to the original design that changes the parameters of operation for any remaining original part takes the use outside of the original intent and thus the manufacturer is released from responsibility (warranty is void). This is part of the reason it is called a limited warranty.

cobrabitn
10-07-2004, 11:29 PM
The entire warranty is not voided just the part that applies to the affected parts in question. It is the burden of the manufacturer to prove that the part caused the failure, so keep that in mind too.

ausie
10-08-2004, 01:36 AM
Since I left for Austin Texas this past Sunday, and returned on Thursday Morning (actually a few minutes past midnight) I did not have much time to put all of the stock 01 parts back on the old Cobra. Namely the factory cat-back and fuel filler door. I would have put the original wheels back on the car but they had new snow tires on them.

Well I did it today. I traded in the 01 Cobra (black w/tan interior) and came home with a Silver 04 with the charcol gray guts. I kind of sort of miss my old Camaro slayer, but now I have a Vett grinder and Viper tamer in my snake pit. It was born on February 2004. It was also the last one avaiable within a few hundred miles of my location. I have to take it back in this Friday to re-skin the factory wheels with a trade for my BBS RK plasmas that are still on the 01.

The new payment does not hurt that much. Got the 0% financing as well as some cash back but basically washed out on the trade-in value. Just about $2500 less than I expected. In short, it was cheaper on my bank account to do the trade than to spend the $9000.00 for shocks/struts, springs, more comfortable seats, Kenne Bell Supercharger, and 6 speed transmission. All of which I would have done if I kept the 01. The total cost may be higher or lower depending on shipping charges, or installation fees if required.

One dissapointment however, this car is town car quiet (which exception to that take off sound of the Eaton blower sucking in the air like a ram jet.). All I need now is the after-burners (SLP Loudmouth, which I was hoping to take off the 01 since it would fit the 04). I am still having difficulty finding reverse, 6th gear does not seem to work when you want to go the other direction. I have yet to push it past 4000 rpm. Looks like I need to look at the manuals to figure out what that flassing arrow means ?????

Everything is in good order, exhaust is not rusty. Paint does not have any defects except for a few under the hood where I found two runs or excess filler. Hopefully I will not notice anything else when I detail it my way. It has not quite sunk in yet that I have a new car. Silver was quite a change in contrast than the black. I sort of miss that mirror appearance that a detailed black car gives off, but I think I can overlook that for the medium sized vaccum cleaner under the hood.

NewFoundPower
10-08-2004, 09:01 AM
Congrats on the car!! Looks like we were kinda in the same boat. I have always had black cars myself and my 04 is the first silver car I have ever had. Let me tell you, you are gonna love it. It doesn't show dirt nearly as bad as the black. The car seems to always be clean. It took me awhile to get used to 6th gear as well but now I love it. It is just really strange when you get back into a 5 spd. Hope you enjoy the car :D .

-D-

Oh yeah, the shift light tells you when to shift for better gas mileage. Needless to say I ignore it :thumbsup: .

RF Cobra
10-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Well I did it today. I traded in the 01 Cobra (black w/tan interior) and came home with a Silver 04 with the charcol gray guts.
Congratulations on your new Cobra! :) Silver was initially the color we were looking at until we noticed someone had backed into the front bumper with a trailer hitch. The car is very quiet compared to most other Mustangs, and is something I am still trying to get used to (my 88 Tbird Sport had a louder exhaust rumble). Once you swap the exhaust it should liven it up soundwise.

ausie
10-09-2004, 09:35 AM
I am finnaly getting used to this thing. Holly Hanna does this thing move. I am sckeptical on the boost readings because I have been able to peg it a few times. One thing I did not notice with the black 01 as I have noticed with the silver 04 was all the rubber dust on the rear end. I guess I need to develop some driving techniques to conserve of tire wear. :D I had my wheels swapped for the BBS wheels that were on the 01 yesterday. The bridgestone potenza's S-03's grip alot better than the Goodyears F1's. I have to re-calculate the difference in speedometer difference of the 275/40's from the 275/35's that are on the BBS wheels. I may be able to get a larger profile to get close to correct the speed error. It appears it wll not take long to wear out the remaining life of the bridgestones since they already have 12k miles on them. These will be the tires of choice. What a difference they make on the 04 than on the 01. Much better suspension!

casey99COBRA
10-09-2004, 02:35 PM
frickin just sexy!

casey99COBRA
10-10-2004, 01:22 AM
Hey ausie, want to trade your 04 rims for what i have on mine? :rolleyes:
which is the 2001 Special Edition Charcoal Gray Mustang GT Wheel
http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/online/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=777
http://www.ragesystems.net/svt/svt014.jpg

ausie
10-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Too late casey, those 9 inch 04 chromies found a new home on my 01 since I could not let my BBS wheels go! I have to admit they look much better on the 04 than the 01. She looks like a mean ass bi**h now. All I have to do is make sure she can scream like one:D

The silver is beginning to grow on me after dirving 200 miles, it does not look dirty except for the black dust on the rear end (Still learning the character of the car and how easy it is to spin the rear without effort). Actually the goodyear rubber was more prone to dust (with only a few hours of driving) when compared to the Bridgstone Potenza's S-03 I have on the BBS wheels (better grip, and no rubber deposits on the bumper).

casey99COBRA
10-10-2004, 05:32 PM
now just make the biatch rumble!:burnout:

ausie
10-11-2004, 08:47 PM
I ordered the Cat-back today by phone. The sales person said it should be at my door by Wednesday this week. You know what I'll be doing that evening. That blower whine is sort of growing on me, but :D I like to announce a mile away when I am heading into town. I am not sure what the SLP will sound on the 04 but I was pleased what it did for my 01. (I know, I should have taken it off before I traded it, but timming is everything and I would still be driving the 01 if I did not play the cards right, it was the last one in my area which was much the same case when I got the 01 too). They sold fast at the end of September. :bounce:

casey99COBRA
10-11-2004, 09:12 PM
nice man, keep us up to date. I want to hear how it turns out! :burnout: