PDA

View Full Version : Clutch noise HELP!!

SVTcobra04
10-04-2004, 04:19 PM
ive got a new 04 cobra and after about 1000 miles sometimes when the clutch is disengaged or the clutch pedal is all the way to the floor or close when im stoped a noise comes from the gearbox area that sounds like a screaching.if i put the car in neutral and let out the clutch it stops.does anyone know why my cobra is doing this or anything about it. and ive adjusted the clutch how it says in the owners manual.thnx

gnxs
10-04-2004, 04:52 PM
ive got a new 04 cobra and after about 1000 miles sometimes when the clutch is disengaged or the clutch pedal is all the way to the floor or close when im stoped a noise comes from the gearbox area that sounds like a screaching.if i put the car in neutral and let out the clutch it stops.does anyone know why my cobra is doing this or anything about it. and ive adjusted the clutch how it says in the owners manual.thnx
I don't know much about manual transmissions, but I've heard about alot of guys with TOB issues with 03's (Ford has a TSB on it), but never with 04's.

Could it be a TOB?

BOOMER23
10-05-2004, 02:47 PM
I had a little bit of an issue (ahem little bit!) with my throw out bearing going out on me at myrtle beach about a year ago and that screaching sound that you describe is exactly what I experienced. Im no expert either but the sound that came from my car was absolutely ear piercing, so if thats what your hearing it probably is your throw out bearing. Also my car is a 99 so I am not lucky enough to have direct experience from 03-04 clutches but it does sound very familiar to me unfortunately. I will add that the Ford dealership that dealt with my repair did say that I was lucky that I didnt scar the input shaft so I would warn you to get it checked out as soon as you can and not to drive it otherwise. Although if the sound is as bad as it was for me you wont be able to drive it around anyways, it was like nails on a calkboard. I still have my old TOB and if I wasnt up here at school I would send you a picture of it, it was nasty! and costly.

Ashton

SVTcobra04
10-05-2004, 05:46 PM
im gonna take it in soon,but it wasnt that bad of a sound and only happens sometimes.its also getting better.

SVTcobra04
10-07-2004, 03:55 PM
well i took it in to the dealer.they checked it out and said its either gonna get better or worse.its getting better so it should be gone soon.

BOOMER23
10-07-2004, 04:14 PM
I certainly wouldnt insult your driving abilities, but I know the quickest way to damage a throw out bearing is long periods of riding the clutch, it can cause the clutch to heat up and in some cases warp and do other wierd things. It sounds to me as though this is very minor especially since you say it is getting better but I am just curious if you tend to have your car in lots of standstill traffic and in some cases may ride the clutch a little with that stop and go stuff. Just wondering. I only ask since I learned the hard way.

Ashton

jackers
10-13-2004, 07:22 AM
It is your Throw out bearing. Your dealer should have ordered you one. Do not take that it could get better or worse. You will need a new throw out bearing (which Ford has a Technical Service Bullitin TSB) which is an updated part. My buddy is one of the best drivers I have met and he has the squeel. I am still relearing to drive a manual so I ride the clutch out too much sometimes. His squeeks, mine dont. Get that thing replaced.

jack

ausie
10-24-2004, 10:32 AM
It would be a good idea to have it replaced. Perhaps the TOB is a carryover from the 03 supply. The longer you wait, the more damage it will do.

cobra330
10-24-2004, 10:54 AM
I have a noise to when taking off in 1st gear..but, I think I may be riding the clutch a bit..still trying to learn the engage point on this as opposed to my 98...They engage alot differently. I will watch it. Anyone else with this problem?

SVTcobra04
10-24-2004, 06:42 PM
cobra330~is it like a grumbling sound,i think ive heard its normal.mine does it to.

cobra330
10-24-2004, 09:21 PM
Yep! That's what it is..kind of grumble...I think my 98 does it do..or did..until I learned the clutch engage point.