PDA

View Full Version : Changing gears need computer redone

tazzracing1
10-06-2004, 04:57 PM
I want to switch to either 3.73 or 4.10. I have read alot of the post on this issue and probably will go with the 4.10's I need to find a place in S.W. Michigan that can recalibrate my computer for the new gearing and the exhaust changes I have made which are UPR O/R X-pipe and Borla cat back. I would appreciate some help if anybody knows a place in Michigan that provides this service. I travel the highway 4 days a week for work.
Thank You
Larry M.:bounce:

Abneriel
10-06-2004, 09:49 PM
you shouldn't need to dyno tune your exhaust...it should be fine...I would really recommend a speedcal for the gears...I have one from dallasmustang in mine and it works great with my 4.30s. I hear brothersperformance has the same thing for a bit cheaper though...They will accurately adjust your speedo to the gear ratio and tire size you are using...they're also very easy to install and dallasmustangs walks you through the process.

here's a link that talks a little bit more about them:
speedcal (http://www.dallasmustang.com/index.mvc?Session_ID=ca0d3afc96c75075b0f8586c61d4601b&s=speedcal)

here's two links that show you the speedcals and prices for your specific application:

dallasmustangs (http://www.dallasmustang.com/index.mvc?Session_ID=ca0d3afc96c75075b0f8586c61d4601b&p=9910)

brothersperformance (http://www.brothersperformance.com/shop/mustang/brospeedcal.html)

might be easier than reflashing your computer...and definately more accurate than speedo gears.

tazzracing1
10-07-2004, 03:27 PM
Thank You for the info. I guess it is tiime to start shopping for all the parts.

tcrews
10-07-2004, 03:36 PM
I want to switch to either 3.73 or 4.10. I have read alot of the post on this issue and probably will go with the 4.10's I need to find a place in S.W. Michigan that can recalibrate my computer for the new gearing and the exhaust changes I have made which are UPR O/R X-pipe and Borla cat back. I would appreciate some help if anybody knows a place in Michigan that provides this service. I travel the highway 4 days a week for work.
Thank You
Cannot recalibrate gear changes on a '97 Computer (or '96 or '98). You'll need a speedcal or abbott ERA. For the exhaust, just get some Mil-eliminators.

About $100 for the speedcal and $60 for the mil-eliminators....

Abneriel
10-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Thank You
just read the O/R X...mil eliminators...listen to tcrews and get them!

tazzracing1
10-07-2004, 09:08 PM
I have the mil eliminators I think I need to change 02 sensors. I've been researching the speed cals. I Thank You all of you for your help with all the issues I have had and questions. Tom is one of the first to usually to jump in.

Thank You all again.
Larry:thumbsup:

SNAKEYE
10-14-2004, 08:13 PM
Thank You
SNAKEYE (a '97 triple black convertible)is running on 18"/35/295 rear tires, twisted by 4.10 gears, pumped up by a Vortech blower. The 18"/35's are just a bit bigger in diameter than the stock 17"/45's. You do not need a computer to correct your speedometer. All you need is a replacement gear down on the sending unit plugged into the tranny. Do a search for Steeda's website. They have an online catalog in which there is a table listing the various gears available for the various rear gear ratios. With S&H, it'll cost you about $20. Installation is simple: un screw the bolt that holds the sending unit into the tranny, pull the sending unit out, pull the stock pink gear off, slip the replacement gear on, plug the sending unit back into the tranny, and put the bolt back in. There are those that say the gear change doesn't hold up due to the diameter difference, or whatever. Hogwash I say. I've got 24k trouble free miles on mine without a hint of a problem.
With the 18"/35's I'm running about 2 MPH faster at 100 MPH than indicated by the speedometer. If your rear wheels/tires are stock your speedometer should be dead on. Of course, after you put in either 4.10 or 4.30 rear gears you will be burning the stock rubber off quickly and will be looking replacements to get all of the width you can stuff into the wheel wells!
Don't put in anything less than 4.10's. Pump up those revs, the engine will come alive!:thumbsup:

tnturbo
10-14-2004, 08:36 PM
I have the Abbott ERA on mine and have been very happy with it.

My Cobra
10-18-2004, 01:00 PM
Nice, I was thinking about going with some 4.10's trying to figure out which to go with and how much it is going to cost me plus install.

tazzracing1
10-18-2004, 05:12 PM
Ford racing they are quite. Remember most gears in this range are made for racing and will have a wining sound when going down the road. The Ford set is made for the road and racing. I'm sure there is others out there that are also quite. I cannot help on the cost of install I have a friend who has his own shop so I get a pretty good deals on work I don't do myself.

Larry

TA_Spanker
10-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Nice, I was thinking about going with some 4.10's trying to figure out which to go with and how much it is going to cost me plus install.

When I purchased my car 2 years ago, I thought that the 4.10's that were in it were a mistake and that I should step down to the 3.73's. Luckily for me, I went into a car shop and the guy basically laughed in my face and told me that if I wanted to waste my money, go ahead, but the 1999 and up run optimally on the 4.10's. Well, I completely agree with him now. Trust me, the milage is fine. I do about 2890rpm's at 80mph. It's okay, but it doesn't go up that much when you get on it. I'm only at 4000 at 120mph. (I don't like topspeed anyways....there's never a smooth enough, cop-free road to stay going that fast for long)....Anyways, I don't think you'll regret the 4.10's, but I DO think you'll regret the 3.73's...I'm speaking from experience.

Besides, when you down shift from 5th to 3rd, you'll walk people with the lower gear ratio. :) Our snake gets stronger the higher the rpms, so why would you rather wait longer for it to reach the higher rpms?

SNAKEYE
10-19-2004, 09:45 AM
When I purchased my car 2 years ago, I thought that the 4.10's that were in it were a mistake and that I should step down to the 3.73's. Luckily for me, I went into a car shop and the guy basically laughed in my face and told me that if I wanted to waste my money, go ahead, but the 1999 and up run optimally on the 4.10's. Well, I completely agree with him now. Trust me, the milage is fine. I do about 2890rpm's at 80mph. It's okay, but it doesn't go up that much when you get on it. I'm only at 4000 at 120mph. (I don't like topspeed anyways....there's never a smooth enough, cop-free road to stay going that fast for long)....Anyways, I don't think you'll regret the 4.10's, but I DO think you'll regret the 3.73's...I'm speaking from experience.

Besides, when you down shift from 5th to 3rd, you'll walk people with the lower gear ratio. :) Our snake gets stronger the higher the rpms, so why would you rather wait longer for it to reach the higher rpms?
AMEN! on the 5-th to 3-rd downshift.
With 4.10 rear gears, at 60 MPH in 5-th, to downshift to 2-nd would be right about the rev limit, but down to 3-rd gear is like you just accelerated thru 2-nd and upshifted to 3-rd! RPM's are above 3250, the IMRC (on '96-'98's) is wide open, and as in SNAKEYE's case the Vortech is headed to maximum boost, 90 MPH, and the need to go into 4-th gear, all in just a couple of ticks of the clock. I've even printed up the numbers 1, 2, 3 & 4 on a label maker and stuck them on the face of the speedometer at 30, 60, 90 & 120 to remind me for a given speed what gear I can downshift to and avoid the rev limiter. Another very good small investment (about $60) is a shiftlight to tell you when to upshift. You don't have to watch the tachometer! With 4.10's, having to upshift comes on very quickly. You'll want to get one after you hit the rev limiter a few times, so just do it when you do the rear gears and avoid the limiter problem entirely.

Abneriel
10-19-2004, 03:09 PM
I have the FMS (FRPP....same thing) 4.30s in mine...The best way I know about buying gears is finding them somewhere cheap on the internet and then have summitracing.com price match them and get the free shipping :D

I don't think the little speedo-gears will match up very accurately with the 4.10s though...like I said above, I would really recommend a speedcal. Might be a little more $ now but it will save your odometer not to mention give you an accurate reading. The best place (from my experience) for an install is a reputable 4x4 shop or a racing shop...I took mine to a shop where the owner races in the street outlaw class and works on his own car all the time. He did a great job on my gears...no whining...it did cost a touch more ($200 for full install vs $140-$150 quoted by some other places) but I truly believe it was worth the extra $50 after hearing some of the horror stories with gear swaps from some of my friends...

Overall you're looking at $500-$550 for the full install if its done well...(ie gears, deluxe install kit, speedcal, labor)
Good luck!