PDA

View Full Version : Squealing Brakes on my 96

BigRedMachine
10-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Has anyone had any experience in fixing or quieting squealing brakes. It's ear piercing :mad: Here's the setup - Powerslot Slotted rotors on all four, Hawks racing pads in the front, and factory replacements in the back. The sound comes on moderate braking, doesn't seem to squeal on light or very hard applications. Also it doesn't happen after the brakes are heated up a while. No shuttering or any other vibration besides the noise. The setup has been on the car for about a month. Any suggestions?

GUMBALL
10-07-2004, 10:23 AM
The squealing noise is usually caused by movement between the pad backing plate and caliper piston(s), and slotted or drilled rotors seem more prone to do this.

Try applying a small amount of copaslip or copperlube to the backing plates, that has worked for me. Auto stores (Napa, Autozone, etc) also sell an RTV that does the same thing - under the name "brake quiet", I think. ;)

BigRedMachine
10-07-2004, 10:29 AM
Is that something I can grab at autozone? Also, I'm a little nervous about taking the calipers apart to get to the pads, is that something that's easy to do? I'm willing to try something, it soulnds like I'm trying to stop a bus coming to a stoplight.:D

cobra330
10-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Yeah I would like to hear about this one too. I put EBC brake pads on with standard replacement rotors and also have the squealing noise that is extremely irritating.

GUMBALL
10-08-2004, 11:40 PM
The application is simple - (not necessary to dis-assemble calipers) just remove each pad, 1 at a time, apply a thin layer of the Brake Quiet RTV (I think that is the tradename) or Copperlube to the back of the pad backing plate. Then replace everything, and you are done.

Thinking about this, I remember another "fix". The autostores (Napa, Autozone, etc) carry a "shim" kit. This kit is pieces of sheet metal, about .20" thick, cut to the shape of the pad. Install 1 piece in the caliper between the pad backing plate and the caliper pistons.

As I said, the squealing is USUALLY caused by a high-frequency vibration of the pad backing plate against the caliper pistons.