PDA

View Full Version : Bassani X-pipe w/Flowmaster 40 series

InfamousSVT
10-08-2004, 01:25 AM
I've got a friend who has a Mustang GT, and he has the Bassani O/R X-pipe with the Flowmaster 40 series mufflers on it and it sounds great!
I'm wanting to run the same set-up, but instead I'm going to run the new Flowmaster Super40! Since I'm going with the O/R X-pipe, if I use the MIL Eliminators, this should keep my air/fuel ratio right, by keeping the computer thinking it's got Cats on it right?

redsnake99
10-08-2004, 12:17 PM
I run the Bassani X with CATS and the Flow 40's on my 99. I love it and get many compliments. It was quite loud inside the car until I put the sound deadening material in.

:eek:

kilroy
10-19-2004, 03:55 AM
I've got a friend who has a Mustang GT, and he has the Bassani O/R X-pipe with the Flowmaster 40 series mufflers on it and it sounds great!
I'm wanting to run the same set-up, but instead I'm going to run the new Flowmaster Super40! Since I'm going with the O/R X-pipe, if I use the MIL Eliminators, this should keep my air/fuel ratio right, by keeping the computer thinking it's got Cats on it right?I agree - to a point - about the sound quality. I had an off-road bassani x on my '98 with Delta 40s sounded sweet while the hammer was down. It was my daily driver then, so when tooling around town & whenever I lifted - the exhaust sounded like marbles being shaken in a 55 gallon drum. If you drive it once in a while, and have to have that particular sound (there are better performing muffs) go for it. I drove the '98 in that configuration for 18 months before swapping on Borlas... Deeper sound & better performance. My $.02 ;) Guys running catted Xs don't suffer the phenomanon.

MILs can go bad - but yes, either MIL eliminators or turn off the back two O2s with a chip/Predator to keep the dreaded SES(check engine) light off. If I'm not mistaken, the back cats aid the fronts in working properly by cleaning up your emissions further. This has no bearing on A/F ratio. Correct me if I'm wrong (provide the tech, too)...The rear O2s provide Delta info from the first set of O2s which are before the first set of Cats to behind the second set of Cats where the last pair are. The info they send is whether the drop in emissions from passing 2 cats/side is within tolerence thereby keeping the SES off. The first pair of O2s tell the PCM if it's rich/lean - & they remain "on" with/without cats.

InfamousSVT
10-19-2004, 04:08 AM
I think I'm going to go with the catted Bassani X-pipe and the Flowmaster super 40 series mufflers! I want a nice sound, but don't want to have trouble with emmissions, so no headers for now! Do you think I'll still have to use the MIL's?

kilroy
10-19-2004, 04:23 AM
I think I'm going to go with the catted Bassani X-pipe and the Flowmaster super 40 series mufflers! I want a nice sound, but don't want to have trouble with emmissions, so no headers for now! Do you think I'll still have to use the MIL's?
No, running with 2 cats you should not need the MIL eliminators.

InfamousSVT
10-19-2004, 04:26 AM
That's what I thought.

Thanks

redsnake99
10-19-2004, 11:20 AM
My 99 needed the MIL eliminators to enable the car to pass emissions inspection in NC. Also needed them to keep the "service engine now" light from turning on all the time with O2 sensor codes.

kilroy
10-19-2004, 02:33 PM
My 99 needed the MIL eliminators to enable the car to pass emissions inspection in NC. Also needed them to keep the "service engine now" light from turning on all the time with O2 sensor codes.
The most effective to do it (again, some MILs go bad) is to have the last pair tuned out via chip/handheld tuner. You leave the rears connected in their original configuration. The car remains stock appearing and will pass any visual checks North Cakalaki should serve up.

When I did my '98 I'd asked the very questions InfamousSVT did to Tim Matherly of http://www.mvperformance.com/. He suggested the chip route and I never had the SES/CEL come on & degrade performance. While my car was being tuned in their shop later that day, a guy with a '99 stopped by for that very reason... his MIL eliminators stopped doing the job.

InfamousSVT
10-19-2004, 10:13 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, I'm ordering my exhaust today and I'll have it on next week!

Hope to see some of you at Dragday Nov. 6th down in Jackson, SC!!

raven69david
10-21-2004, 12:47 AM
Sorry, incorrect post.

SVTcobra04
10-21-2004, 07:07 AM
i was thinking of putting bassani headers catted x pipe and a cat back.would this cause any problems or anything with emmisions.

kilroy
10-21-2004, 12:22 PM
i was thinking of putting bassani headers catted x pipe and a cat back.would this cause any problems or anything with emmisions.
Check with your local authorities about this. Emissions regulations vary from state to state. Some require the car to be visually inspected, require the car to retain 4 cats if it came from the factory that way, as well as pass the sniffer test. Your mileage may vary.

SVTcobra04
10-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Check with your local authorities about this. Emissions regulations vary from state to state. Some require the car to be visually inspected, require the car to retain 4 cats if it came from the factory that way, as well as pass the sniffer test. Your mileage may vary.
thanks for the reply.they wont set off the engine check light will they or mees with the sensor thing(im not exactly an expert with cars:D )

kilroy
10-21-2004, 09:05 PM
thanks for the reply.they wont set off the engine check light will they or mees with the sensor thing(im not exactly an expert with cars:D )
If you're asking whether or not aftermarket aftermarket mid pipes (with cats) work like the stock H-pipe, I'd be inclined to say they do.