PDA

View Full Version : Any lawyers out there? Return of a car

cobra330
10-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Okay..I am so freaking mad at the dealership I bought my car from. Needed cleaned up and a couple scratches handled...no biggie. Well now..it will not be done until Monday..5 days later? What the heck? Then they gave me a 05 Explorer to ride around..that's great...they had the nerve to ask me to drive an hour down there to get a piece crap rental car..since they can not get it done. I said if I come down there I am taking my BMW back..or you can bring me a rental...I ain't driving an 2 hours to fix thier problem! What is the law on returning a car that was just bought? I think it is 72 hours for MD/VA. Need some advice here.

RF Cobra
10-08-2004, 08:28 PM
Okay..I am so freaking mad at the dealership I bought my car from. Needed cleaned up and a couple scratches handled...no biggie. Well now..it will not be done until Monday..5 days later? What the heck? Then they gave me a 05 Explorer to ride around..that's great...they had the nerve to ask me to drive an hour down there to get a piece crap rental car..since they can not get it done. I said if I come down there I am taking my BMW back..or you can bring me a rental...I ain't driving an 2 hours to fix thier problem! What is the law on returning a car that was just bought? I think it is 72 hours for MD/VA. Need some advice here.
Did they say why there is a delay? Sometimes jobs take longer than expected or you run into unforseen problems, people are out sick, etc. It does not take much to throw a body shop off schedule and cause everything to get behind.

I know it is frustrating, but look at this way: they could always send it to MAACO or do a rush job that may look good now, but in a few months looks like trash. I would opt for the take your time and it get it done right option because you do not want me bringing it back for the same problem twice. :)

NC has no "cooling off period" for returns of vehicles so I can't help you there. As far a lawyer goes...they are usually real good at taking your money. I have found that in the long run staying civil and building a working relationship reaps all sorts of benefits later on down the road with a reputable dealer. The last dealership I did that with usually gave me a pretty good discount because I got to know the service writers and service manager. A lot of times they would only charge for the actual time it took since the guys that work for them can typically do the job in a fraction of the stated book time.

cobra330
10-08-2004, 10:34 PM
It was to make sure it was done right so, I may have jumped. It's just irritating when I have such lately time left due to weather to enjoy a vert...which this is my first one! And they should have kept better care of the car in the first place..but, your right..I will take it easy on them..and see what happens! Thanks!

RF Cobra
10-09-2004, 11:35 AM
I hope they get it back to you SOON. I've never owned a convertible, but I did test drive a GT vert one time on a nice day with the top down and had a lot of fun. If it keeps dragging out though, definately be firm with them in wanting to know what is going on and why are they taking so long.

I got a free rear tire on my '04 because it got punctured while having to take it back to the dealership for the second time because the alternator was defective and would not always charge the battery. The first time the service writer only had them swap batteries (he was in a hurry to go to lunch and was leaving for vacation the next day). I gave him a firm warning that I would not be happy if I had to return a second time for the same thing. Exactly a week later the second battery was dead and something metal on the road popped the right rear on the way back to the dealer. I firmly told them I felt the tire was their responsibility since I would not have been on that road and would have been at work if they had replaced the alternator the first time. They were resistant, but I did not get into an argument with them. When I went to pick the car up they had both the alternator and tire listed as warranty repair items. :)

Of course this only works if they are reputable to start with. If they do not work with you then you should find someplace else to go next time.

Good Luck! :)