PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Rear Bulbs

Mirage
10-16-2004, 01:04 PM
As I was cleaning my car today I wanted to see how to replace one of my rear brake light bulbs. Does anyone know how to remove the carpet backing around the lights? It appears that there's a "C" type clip there but when I try to turn it it doesn't budge. The owner's manual shows fog/front and turning replacement steps but says: "Bring to a qualified FORD dealer" for the rear. Come on guys/gals, who's got the answer? Thanks in advance!

sssvtcobra
10-16-2004, 01:38 PM
I'm not sure about the '03's, but on my '94, '95, and now on my '01, you have to remove the plastic bezel trim piece inside the trunk. Then you might have two little plastic hooks, there would be one on each side, remove those, and that should be it. Instead of hooks they will just be those plastic srews. The hooks are for a cargo net. The hooks kind of look like the letter C. Once those are removed you should be able to pull out the carpet trim panel.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Jeff

Mirage
10-16-2004, 02:47 PM
sssvtcobra~ I have the hooks (c-type looking) on either side. I would assume (like you mentioned) that these are for the cargo net. My question now is: "How do you remove these hooks?" Do they unscrew or do you just pull them straight out?

sssvtcobra
10-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Mirage,

Yes, the cargo net hooks just unscrew like normal. Sometimes you have to be gentle when turning them, since they are made of just plastic. I had one break on my '01 and had to buy a new one from the dealer. It broke right where the hooks meet up, at the end of the female section of the hook. I went to turn it and it just snapped. So if you can try to use pliers and put a paper towel or a rag over the hook, if you are anal like me and don't want to tear 'em up.

Let me know if that works :)

Jeff

Mirage
10-17-2004, 11:16 AM
sssvtcobra~ OK used a pair of pliers and an old rag as not to leave any marks when unscrewing the hook. New bulb installed and everything is right in the world again. Thanks! :thumbsup:

sssvtcobra
10-18-2004, 05:08 AM
Mirage,

Your welcome, glad I could be of some help. That's what this club is all about. Now I just wish I knew more about the motors and parts :)

Jeff