PDA

View Full Version : Is porting the intake myself Crazy???

TA_Spanker
10-18-2004, 10:41 PM
I just bought one of the BBK twin 65mm throttle bodies for the 99 Cobra, but when I held them up to put the new one on today, I noticed that it isn't matched to allow for the bigger diameters. The stock 57mm line up perfectly to the Intake Manifold, so using the bigger BBK diameters will cause the air to hit the edges and really screw up the flow. Well, unscrewing the top manifold isn't really that daunting of a task, and I have a Dremel with all the goodies......Do you guys think that I can port the stock manifold to match the BBK diameters??? It's not something I'm going to jump into without reading, so don't worry....But I would rather know it was done with care and much cheaper than taking it to someone and letting them do exactly what I'll do....

I know the basics principles behind it and know that there are certain dips, channels, and bumps in the inside that I have to contour to. This is the path of the air and filing these down would disrupt it. Besides, the stock manifold is Cast Alluminum. Any engineers out there like me know that almost any metal that is cast is usually pretty rough. Because it's usually liquid metal poured into a Sand cast. Well, I ran my finger in the opening today, and it's rough as heck. Any smoothing of that would almost definitely translate into better flow, more air, and thus more hp.

If anybody has done this, or even taken their car to somebody let me know. :D

Mystic_Cobra
10-19-2004, 12:18 PM
I've done some "gasket-matching" on some 289 heads, intakes, and exhausts manifolds but I have not done any work on anything late model.
I think it would be worth doing yourself expecially if you have the tools and the skills. Just make sure you don't go "too far". There's bound to be water passages and such down there. Might be good if you can talk to someone first who has done exactly what you're planning to see if there's anything in there to stay away from. I think this is what you're after, anyway.

Take pics and let us know how it turns out if you decide to do it.

TA_Spanker
10-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the Reply. I'm still trying to locate anybody who's done it before. I think I'm probably just going to hold off on it for now, until I go supercharged, because I don't want to rob myself of low end torque.

tcrews
10-23-2004, 10:28 AM
It's not that hard to do though it'll be a waste of time.......unfortunately the BBK throttle body has a reputation of losing power not making power. The stock throttle body is very capable and you really don't need to replace it.

If you still decide to install it just take your time and go slowly.

TA_Spanker
10-24-2004, 11:43 AM
That's what I've been thinking ever since I bought it. I know SVT does a damn good job with things and there's probably a reason why they didn't put any bigger than 57mm TB on the car. My car with 4.10 gears has a hell of a launch, and I don't want to loose that ummph by bogging the car down with too much air. I thought that if I kept the car long enough to buy a supercharger, then I would just put the TB on it then, but that still doesn't change the fact that it doesn't line up with the stock intake.

Does anybody know if there is a better intake by anybody (Trickflow, Ford Racing, Holley, Edlebrock, etc....) for the stock 4.6 1999 Cobra Engine?