PDA

View Full Version : Storing for the winter - few questions

Stavesacre21
10-19-2004, 01:42 PM
Hey fellas.....i'll be taking my Cobra to storage on Thursday, but I just have a few quick questions though. I've already detailed and cleaned every aspect of the car, so i'm good on that behalf...so heres my inquiries:

I bought 4 jack stands to sit the car on for the 5-6 months while in storage. They max out at 17" in height. Will this be high enough? I imagined it would, but I just thought i'd ask an opinion.

Also, while on the jacks - where are the actaully points under the car that these stands should be in contact with? Are the stands supposed to sit on the frame of the car (such as in the instance of fixing a flat), or more along the lines of off the suspension arms?

Lastly, is there any specific addiatives that should be put in the engine/gas tank? I've already changed the oil, so thats taken care of already.

This is the first car i've ever had to store, so I'm obviously very new to the thoughts of how to go about properly storing a car for 1/2 years' at a time. If ANY of you can think of anything else that is really important for storage, please let me know as well! Thanx in advance for all the help, fellas!

ausie
10-21-2004, 05:41 AM
Besides having the coolant tested, not much else. As for jacking up the car, I would be concerned using the location notches on the underside of the car since they have the tendency to bend when using jack stands. I would find it very hard to just leave a car over a period of time. I really don't plan on driving mine in the winter but that all depends on how much snowfall I get. Two things I would inspect before storing, one would be to inspect all of the rubber plugs on the bottom of the chassy for ones that are missing or not seated properly. Rodents like to make homes in cars and seat foam is a good insulator. Also, before starting the car up in the spring, inspect the air filter for invasion of animals. Mice seem to be keen on filter material as a nest after they have chewed a nice hole into it. Nothing is more pleasing to discover you sucked in a nest of mice when you crank it over for the first time. I would probably remove the air intake tube (complete with MAF and filter box) and store that in the trunk, just don't forget you took it off.

SNAKEYE
10-22-2004, 07:54 AM
Hey fellas.....i'll be taking my Cobra to storage on Thursday, but I just have a few quick questions though. I've already detailed and cleaned every aspect of the car, so i'm good on that behalf...so heres my inquiries:

I bought 4 jack stands to sit the car on for the 5-6 months while in storage. They max out at 17" in height. Will this be high enough? I imagined it would, but I just thought i'd ask an opinion.

Also, while on the jacks - where are the actaully points under the car that these stands should be in contact with? Are the stands supposed to sit on the frame of the car (such as in the instance of fixing a flat), or more along the lines of off the suspension arms?

Lastly, is there any specific addiatives that should be put in the engine/gas tank? I've already changed the oil, so thats taken care of already.

This is the first car i've ever had to store, so I'm obviously very new to the thoughts of how to go about properly storing a car for 1/2 years' at a time. If ANY of you can think of anything else that is really important for storage, please let me know as well! Thanx in advance for all the help, fellas!I fill the gastank,throw in a can of gasline antifreeze, and disconnect the battery.

ian white
10-22-2004, 04:31 PM
I change the oil first .Then check tire pressure and anti-freeze second . The next thing i do is install sta-bil in a full tank of gas. Lastly i disconnect the battery and put moth balls by the tires Been doing this for 28 years!

Stavesacre21
10-24-2004, 03:38 PM
yea, I put the moth balls down by the tires, the Sta-Bil in the gas tank, and covered it up. I forgot to disconnect the battery, so I'll prolly do that in about a month or so.

Got a question for ya....does the mothball smell start to seep inside the car over time? I only have them down by the tires, and have the vent closed, but wow.....those are strong. Just a lil curious

Oh yea, and i'll prolly put er up on jack stands in a lil bit, but right now it's almost too tight of a squeeze (because of cars on both sides) to fit the jack in between.