PDA

View Full Version : MSD DIS-4 Install

smashedheadcat
10-20-2004, 10:11 PM
Anyone with a dis4 out here? Researching tells me that a 97 cobra on requires 1 tach adapter, and 98's require 2. I only have 1 tach adapter, but I don't have the directions anymore. I've had this thing laying around for almost 2 years, but now's the time to wire it up. I printed off the instructions off of MSD's website, but they're not the same as the ones that came when I ordered the box. Any help (or pictures of wiring) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Josh

tcrews
10-21-2004, 01:51 AM
I tossed mine a while back...they have an EXTREMELY high failure rate and I just couldn't accept that. Once mine failed (never exposed to the environments or engine heat) I said "that's it" and bought a KB boost-a-spark. A friend had two fail on his before swapping to the boost-a-spark.

Anyway....way back...the '96-'97 cars needed ZERO tach-adapters, just the MSD DIS4. The '98 needed two. At some point they changed the unit so that all the models ('96-'98) need two tach-adapters.

I believe a few people had to use one tach-adapter on '96-'97 cars for some reason or another (can't remember why) but you weren't supposed to need any on '96-'97 cars.

If you haven't installed it yet.......don't. See if you can sell it. :)

smashedheadcat
10-22-2004, 11:08 AM
I tossed mine a while back...they have an EXTREMELY high failure rate and I just couldn't accept that. Once mine failed (never exposed to the environments or engine heat) I said "that's it" and bought a KB boost-a-spark. A friend had two fail on his before swapping to the boost-a-spark.

Anyway....way back...the '96-'97 cars needed ZERO tach-adapters, just the MSD DIS4. The '98 needed two. At some point they changed the unit so that all the models ('96-'98) need two tach-adapters.

I believe a few people had to use one tach-adapter on '96-'97 cars for some reason or another (can't remember why) but you weren't supposed to need any on '96-'97 cars.

If you haven't installed it yet.......don't. See if you can sell it. :)

Roger that....... I'll put it up for sale. Thanks Tom.

STANGBUM
10-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Well, I know This is a little late (just found thread) but I have had my MSD DIS4 on my Cobra for over three years and have not had any problems with it (did have to have 2 tach-adapters). Its a daily driver also. :thumbsup:

Now if the damn thing breaks Mr Crews I am going to say you jinked it. ;) ;)
But seriously I did not know they were subject to break :eek:

smashedheadcat
10-27-2004, 08:14 AM
Well, I know This is a little late (just found thread) but I have had my MSD DIS4 on my Cobra for over three years and have not had any problems with it (did have to have 2 tach-adapters). Its a daily driver also. :thumbsup:

Now if the damn thing breaks Mr Crews I am going to say you jinked it. ;) ;)
But seriously I did not know they were subject to break :eek:

Thanks for your imput. I've had this piece of gear since around the same time you got your blower. I knew the were subject to failure, but I didn't see anyother options out there at the time (I looked at Jacob's ignition). I'm planning on a boost-a-spark.

tcrews
10-27-2004, 09:07 AM
I liked the features of the MSD DIS4 but with so many reported failures..and then mine failing......just don't get that nice warm fuzzy feeling about them anymore :)

The Boost-a-spark is about 10 times easier to install as well. It only boost spark but that's the primary reason for an MSD DIS4 on a blown Cobra anyway.

smashedheadcat
10-27-2004, 03:25 PM
I liked the features of the MSD DIS4 but with so many reported failures..and then mine failing......just don't get that nice warm fuzzy feeling about them anymore :)

The Boost-a-spark is about 10 times easier to install as well. It only boost spark but that's the primary reason for an MSD DIS4 on a blown Cobra anyway.

I just wanted the 2 step revlimiter. :D But the ability to pull timing at specific rates at specific rpms was a huge reason as well. No my question is..... without the msd box, I can't have a spark shutoff rev limiter can I??