PDA

View Full Version : 8.8 what is the difference from the other 8.8?

tazzracing1
10-20-2004, 11:17 PM
I wanted to install a power trax locker, The company said they do not make one for the cobras something different in the set-up does anyone know what is different from the other 8.8 rear ends
Thank You all once again for all the help.
Larry

Firme
10-21-2004, 07:09 AM
I wanted to install a power trax locker, The company said they do not make one for the cobras something different in the set-up does anyone know what is different from the other 8.8 rear ends
Thank You all once again for all the help.
Larry

hmm, they couldn't tell you what is different? Maybe try to call back and a get a different person on the phone who knows what they are talking about. I mean the 99+ have a IRS 8.8, but the previous years are live axle like the GT.

Abneriel
10-21-2004, 12:05 PM
Inside the pumpkin should be identical even if the rest is IRS...the only differences I can think of from the stang live axle 8.8 and other current live axle 8.8s would be the spline count and the gear ratios

I would call them back and check around at other places...sounds like you may have gotten bad info

The 97 Cobra has an identical rear diff to all other 94-98 V8 mustangs...except for the gear ratios...

Greg
10-31-2004, 05:41 PM
I installed a power trax in my 95. 8.8 rear pinion shaft are offered in two diameters, 7/8 and 3/4. Jegs lists 5 part numbers for the 8.8; 3/4 open 28 spline, 3/4 trac-loc 28 & 31 spline, 7/8 open 31 spline and 7/8 trac-loc 31 spline. I believe we have the smaller 3/4. I ordered mine through Mustangs Unlimited and had no trouble. It goes together like a rubics cube.

Greg
11-01-2004, 05:48 PM
I went into my shop and measured my pinion shaft. It is 3/4 diameter.

tazzracing1
11-01-2004, 08:03 PM
I would like to say Thank You for help. I and all the trouble that everyone goes to trying to answer everyones questions.:)

tazzracing1
11-07-2004, 09:12 PM
Well I finally have my gears installed I had a friend with a new set of ford racing 373's that he let me have so I went with those and a new locker and up graded to 31 spline axles. The difference is amazing in the performance I cannot wait till I get to really try it out. I just have to get past the break in period. I also ordered a girdled rearend cover should be here this week. Thank You again for all the help. I cannot wait to meet the people at an event near or in Michigan.
Thank You all again.
Larry M.:thumbsup: