PDA

View Full Version : AutoWeek News posted article 10/20/04.

Levi
10-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Ford has pulled the plug on the next-generation F-150 Lightning SVT pickup truck, instead putting all SVT's eggs into one basket - the SVT Cobra Mustang, due in 2006 as an '07 model.

"It's a business decision," said Alan Hall, SVT spokesman. The official line is that the Lightning has been "postponed," and not killed, but if it is revived, it will be 2008 or later before we see one.

SVT Cobra is alive, start saving your pennys for 2006. :thumbsup:

Engine mule, see the hood, also maybe suspension testing.
http://www.autoweek.com/images/articles/100066

Firme
10-21-2004, 05:10 PM
I am convinced the L being put on hold is just till the Cobra comes out, even though people are going nuts saying the L is dead.

I must say though, its interesting seeing it needs a Cowl hood for the engine mule

03 cobra toy
10-21-2004, 05:26 PM
I must say though, its interesting seeing it needs a Cowl hood for the engine mule

or that's the new 08+ Cobra R with the V10 :rolleyes: I think the Cobra will get the GT motor and the Lightning and "R" will get the V10...... :eek:

jimmysidecarr
10-21-2004, 06:29 PM
or that's the new 08+ Cobra R with the V10 :rolleyes: I think the Cobra will get the GT motor and the Lightning and "R" will get the V10...... :eek:

Quite possible..... but that V10 is a long engine , no matter which deck height they use(5.4=tall/4.6=low).... that'll be a tough fit in that car....

But the Ford GT engine .....(which they have already hinted, would be shared in other cars)....... would also need a cowl hood like the one shown.

QUOTE--->"You don't actually think we'd build an all-new engine just to put it in one car, do you?" That was an incredulous Ford Special Vehicle Team boss John Coletti in response to our asking where else we could expect to see this monster modular motor appear over the next few years.
HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMM............

Imagine also a transaxle style independent rear sub assembly, perhaps a torque tube(like the Vette).....
I'm thinking MONSTER TRACK CAR!!!!!

Hey I can dream too can't I???? ;)

Jimmy(the dreamer) :thumbsup:

cobltng
10-23-2004, 05:24 PM
What bothers me about all this,( I own a L and don't need another ) is SVT going almost four years without any new product to offer the performance market place. Also Colleti is stepping away and I haven't heard any noise from Scarpello in some time. I am really not a pessimist but it really looks to me like Ford is slowly pulling away from and has plans to dump SVT. Consider: the first gen Lightning was expensive to bring to market and was not a good seller. The 99 Cobra fiasco cost Ford a bundle. The current Cobra and Lightning are gas guzzlers and the 03 Cobra has had it's share of problems. Add to that the expense of bringing a 3rd gen lightning with 500 + HP to a market that is drowning in $2.00 + high test for such a beast and it add's up to a poor seller,guzzing even more petro. SVT claims to have been so busy with the GT it hasn't had the time to work on SVT mainstream product. This make no sense. Sales of the GT go to the Leno's of the world and bring a lot of "Status" to Ford but precious little profit. So Dodge will garner all the Perf Truck Sales And the Vette Z06 will fill the 500 Hp niche. Way to go blue Oval.

03 cobra toy
10-24-2004, 04:28 PM
PLEASE READ LINK...... MAYBE WE CAN HELP...... :thumbsup:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=133991

jimmysidecarr
10-24-2004, 06:13 PM
I also am concerned about this, and hope Ford does not dump High Performance again like it did in 1972.
I also acknowledge the frustration of their "in house bean counters" ,when they see 4 different development projects, on 4 "different" cylinder heads,.....
When in fact they could have and should have just developed one!!!
I am talking, of course, about.........
SVT Cobra 2000R......heads
Ford Racing FR500.....heads
SVT Cobra 03/04 Terminator ....heads
And lastly
2005 FORD GT .....heads
The last being the best of course....
No doubt...... the big "rub" happened..... when the FR500, and 2003 SVT Terminator heads were developed, almost at the same time ... when they should have been sharing that info and development....$$$$$$$ that cost them, and it was not very smart!
Maybe they do need to look at their High Performance Niche development process, and get all these guys on the same page.
I would think that the SVT name and concept would automatically incorporate shared development....
???????????????
I guess not...

Perhaps some "well placed, well thought out" e-mails would be a good idea!!
Jimmy
:thumbsup:

jimmysidecarr
10-24-2004, 06:22 PM
Here are some of the key e-mail addresses from that excellent link(Please do read the link!!!)
John Coletti ----------- jcoletti@ford.com
Scarpel's email is:------ tscarpel@ford.com
?---------------------- tjones@ford.com

Jimmy :thumbsup: